Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #321
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It may not work but I don't think we have given it a full effort yet. That is what I would like to see.

As has been mentioned...our best defensive year ever had Washington, Cumberland, and Jenifer on the starting 5. None of them were defensive guys. Two of them could score and one was mainly a facilitator who could shoot okay at the time. Best. Defense. Ever. Under Cronin
You act like Mick only wants to bring in project players.

In the last 4 seasons of top 50 recruits (200 total) just 12 went to non power leagues. That’s 6% of the the 25 most talented 4 stars and 25 most talented 5 stars going to non power leagues.

So what do you do if you know you can’t land elite talent? You develop an elite culture and an elite identity.

I love Gary Clark. But Gary Clark was an Elite glue guy. Not a superstar.

My thoughts are: Mick is the absolute best cosch for Us at this time, because of our league affiliation.

But if we get to a power league then we can start being picky about our coaches. But until then, I’m not sure who is better.

And if mick was let go, it would be the worst possible time. The rest of the league is about to make a huge jump. If we don’t hang with them, we will get left behind. Then all the sudden, the conferences realign and UC is a middle of the pack basketball team and cosch fickell also leaves and we get left behind, while Houston & UCF move to bigger leagues.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #322
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
This literally boils down to tournament success, and people want to write of Cronin as if he is so mediocre because of it. You hear his name mentioned in most power 5 openings, because of how good a coach is. And truth about that is, if he wasn’t so loyal to the program and wanting to stay one Cincinnati, he would probably already be in a power 5 league. Mick is an excellent coach, of course he has his struggles, but outside of a few coaches, who doesn’t? Our biggest hurdle is recruiting. Which has been stated plenty of times, but some people don’t understand its just not that easy to get guys to come play here, right now. We’re not in the Big East anymore. Good news is the other teams in our conference are getting better. If UCONN could get back to what they used to be, and a couple other teams step it up we could start being a conference where kids want to come. Until then, I’ll be happy winning ‘28-29 games a year, making the tournament. And every few years having a chance at a run.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #323
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
From what I’ve read from most guys, it seems like we want a team to go to the sweet 16 at least, every 3-4 years. So forget the 4 rebuilding seasons and focus on the 9 we’ve gone to the tourney. We went once, we should have went last year (worst loss that I can’t see ever happening again), and then I think we have a shot at a 3-4 seed next season, so hopefully that’s another trip to the second weekend. That would/could have been 3 in ten, so where’s the problem.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #324
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
From what I’ve read from most guys, it seems like we want a team to go to the sweet 16 at least, every 3-4 years. So forget the 4 rebuilding seasons and focus on the 9 we’ve gone to the tourney. We went once, we should have went last year (worst loss that I can’t see ever happening again), and then I think we have a shot at a 3-4 seed next season, so hopefully that’s another trip to the second weekend. That would/could have been 3 in ten, so where’s the problem.

sure 3 in 10 years as long as you make up 2 of them.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #325
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
sure 3 in 10 years as long as you make up 2 of them.
Exactly.

Every 3-4 years would say we would have been there 2-3 times already and working on another
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #326
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
But you cannot count the 2018 season. The 2018 team was either the best team or 2nd best team (2012) under Cronin. A lot of fans, myself included, cannot forgive that 2nd round loss. But, the facts are the team did not make it to the second weekend. You can lay the blame wherever you’d like - it doesn’t change the result. To somehow give Cronin credit for having a team that should have made it doesn’t cut it. The team failed to advance.

Last edited by z_bearcat; 04-03-2019 at 01:39 PM.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #327
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

In the last 4 seasons of top 50 recruits (200 total) just 12 went to non power leagues. That’s 6% of the the 25 most talented 4 stars and 25 most talented 5 stars going to non power leagues.

So what do you do if you know you can’t land elite talent? You develop an elite culture and an elite identity.

My thoughts are: Mick is the absolute best cosch for Us at this time, because of our league affiliation.

But if we get to a power league then we can start being picky about our coaches. But until then, I’m not sure who is better.

And if mick was let go, it would be the worst possible time. The rest of the league is about to make a huge jump. If we don’t hang with them, we will get left behind. Then all the sudden, the conferences realign and UC is a middle of the pack basketball team and cosch fickell also leaves and we get left behind, while Houston & UCF move to bigger leagues.
Maybe I am not stating my point well enough even though I have probably said it maybe 10 times now. I think we have a good coach and our March problems are probably not due to coaching. It's offensive talent related.

I don't think we can just recruit ELITE talent...what I have said is that I want to focus on offense rather than athleticism. So many people want to read into that something that isn't there. I want basketball players even if they aren't 4 star guys. I want kids who can put the BB in the hole and hopefully also be able to dribble the ball. I don't want to focus on athleticism. So what I am saying is maybe you go down the list of stars behind the players to find shooters or play makers even if they aren't high jumpers. 3 star guys are fine if they can make plays is what I am saying.

I love Keith Williams but I am going to use him as an example. I could use Kevin Johnson. Kevin could not dribble, drive or shoot the ball very well. Keith is a little better but he is still limited. Maybe we could start by asking if a player can shoot the ball and dribble and work him into the defense rather than starting the other way around. We tend to start by asking if a player can defend and has athleticism and then work backwards from there.

That philosophy is what is stalling us in March IMO. And we have been getting better at it. So keep getting better and maybe use the grad transfer to help. And maybe let your best recruits play more often to get them ready.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #328
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

Realignment will have almost nothing to do with success...maybe a little, by other factors are greater
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #329
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
So UCLA is apparently gonna hire Dixon, and now Mick is being linked to Virginia Tech...the saga continues.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #330
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
I don’t think Cronin is going anywhere. He has the core of a team returning that won 28 games for him this year. He has Mr. Basketball for Ohio from 2018/19 coming to join the team. His circumstances most likely prevent him from relocating outside the State due to custody of his daughter. And, he has a newly renovated arena to use for recruiting. The only reason he would leave is fans’ discontent, which he has said before doesn’t affect him positively or negatively. Those are my thoughts.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote