Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Jerry Palm has UC #5 seed

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...urnament-field

UC a 5 seed.

11 Big East teams.

Seems fine with me!
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
I wish Jerry was on the NCAA Selection Committee and the selection was being made today. However, UC must play 11 more regular season games and the Big East Tournament before Selection Sunday.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
I wish Jerry was on the NCAA Selection Committee and the selection was being made today. However, UC must play 11 more regular season games and the Big East Tournament before Selection Sunday.
And Captain Obvious chimes in with more great insight.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Same guy who said 11 BE wins and a overall 24-7 record (not even accounting for what we could have tacked on at MSG) may leave us on the outside looking in, right? And that was just about 3 weeks ago I think. Now he's got a 4-3 team, securing a 5 seed all of the sudden?

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily take it. And if we can go 4-1 in our next 5, I think that's exactly what were setting ourselves up for. (a 5-7 seed) But how's this guy going to write a whole column about how we may need 12 wins just to get in, and now elevates us to a 5 b/c of wins over Depaul, SH, SFla, and SJ's?

Jerry Palm clearly just says whatever he wants, talks out both sides his mouth, and has little, to no real insight on anything. What an idiot... I'll take the prediction though, it's not that far off. Too bad he probably picked out of a hat or asked his magic 8 ball.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Same guy who said 11 BE wins and a overall 24-7 record (not even accounting for what we could have tacked on at MSG) may leave us on the outside looking in, right? And that was just about 3 weeks ago I think. Now he's got a 4-3 team, securing a 5 seed all of the sudden?

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily take it. And if we can go 4-1 in our next 5, I think that's exactly what were setting ourselves up for. (a 5-7 seed) But how's this guy going to write a whole column about how we may need 12 wins just to get in, and now elevates us to a 5 b/c of wins over Depaul, SH, SFla, and SJ's?

Jerry Palm clearly just says whatever he wants, talks out both sides his mouth, and has little, to no real insight on anything. What an idiot... I'll take the prediction though, it's not that far off. Too bad he probably picked out of a hat or asked his magic 8 ball.
You are absolutely correct. Jerry Palm is a moron. His article actually said that 12 wins in the BE may not be enough to get them in. With as many a 9 BE teams in the Top 25, that would mean that UC would have beaten at least 2 of them. They would also not have had any bad losses. That would have put them on the bubble, according to this genius. And now they are a 5 seed. What a joke.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbuc88 View Post
You are absolutely correct. Jerry Palm is a moron. His article actually said that 12 wins in the BE may not be enough to get them in. With as many a 9 BE teams in the Top 25, that would mean that UC would have beaten at least 2 of them. They would also not have had any bad losses. That would have put them on the bubble, according to this genius. And now they are a 5 seed. What a joke.
moron is a strong word. he clearly knows what he is doing if everyone in america, the selection committee trusts his word. he probably didnt anticipate the skyrocketing UC would do in the RPI when he said that. 36 isn't incredible, but its very respectable.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3113 View Post
he probably didnt anticipate the skyrocketing UC would do in the RPI when he said that. 36 isn't incredible, but its very respectable.
Yeah, but how could he not. That was the point myself and countless others made. Anybody, with even a basic understanding of the RPI knew it would start to climb with BE play, and especially wins. That in order to get to 11 or 12 wins there would be MULTIPLE quality wins, well more than enough. The fact our RPI has "skyrocketed" after only 7 games, with wins against some lower conference teams, it makes his statement even dumber. If it's at 38 at 4-3, where do you think it would be at 12-6, 11-7? And it's not like a bunch of BE teams are now ranked that were not we he said that.

He may not be a moron per say, but clearly fills some pages without thinking at times,
just to only sell ad space. Much like most of the talking heads at this time of year, they haven't seen half of the teams play, couldn't tell you more than a player, if that, from each team, but yet they're experts. The guy writes to hear himself talk, when it comes to a statement like that. And I'd willing to bet if you put me against the great Jerry Palm on knowledge of BE in 2011, down to players, current records, stats, whatever, I would absolutely destroy him. And I'm just a random dude on a message board.

And really, whether you've seen them or not, to say an 11-12 win BE team may not get in, when the conference had 6 top 15 teams at the time, has to so be one of the dumbest comments I have ever read. It has moron written all over it. I can't stress enough how absolutely idiotic of a statement that was. It's almost the equivalent of saying "The Reds could win 137 regular season games this year, and not only miss out on the division title, but maybe the wild card too".

Frankly, "everyone in America" (I guess I'm not included) and the selection committee may want to trust their own word, rather than this blowhard's.

Whew...sorry, I feel better. I'm just amazed this guy has the balls to make this prediction, weeks removed from shitting all over our OOC schedule. It should have came with an apology, and a staff picture featuring a dunce cap.

Last edited by MDW79; 01-26-2011 at 01:51 PM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yeah, but how could he not. That was the point myself and countless others made. Anybody, with even a basic understanding of the RPI knew it would start to climb with BE play, and especially wins. That in order to get to 11 or 12 wins there would be MULTIPLE quality wins, well more than enough. The fact our RPI has "skyrocketed" after only 7 games, with wins against some lower conference teams, it makes his statement even dumber. If it's at 38 at 4-3, where do you think it would be at 12-6, 11-7? And it's not like a bunch of BE teams are now ranked that were not we he said that.

He may not be a moron per say, but clearly fills some pages without thinking at times,
just to only sell ad space. Much like most of the talking heads at this time of year, they haven't seen half of the teams play, couldn't tell you more than a player, if that, from each team, but yet they're experts. The guy writes to hear himself talk, when it comes to a statement like that. And I'd willing to bet if you put me against the great Jerry Palm on knowledge of BE in 2011, down to players, current records, stats, whatever, I would absolutely destroy him. And I'm just a random dude on a message board.

And really, whether you've seen them or not, to say an 11-12 win BE team may not get in, when the conference had 6 top 15 teams at the time, has to so be one of the dumbest comments I have ever read. It has moron written all over it. I can't stress enough how absolutely idiotic of a statement that was. It's almost the equivalent of saying "The Reds could win 137 regular season games this year, and not only miss out on the division title, but maybe the wild card too".

Frankly, "everyone in America" (I guess I'm not included) and the selection committee may want to trust their own word, rather than this blowhard's.

Whew...sorry, I feel better. I'm just amazed this guy has the balls to make this prediction, weeks removed from shitting all over our OOC schedule. It should have came with an apology, and a staff picture featuring a dunce cap.
LOL. Thats funny. My calling him a moron was a bit strong, but his take on UC was undoubtedly moronic. Having said that, I hope his current prediction ends up being right and we end up with a 5 seed, or better. It would be nice to finally watch Selection Sunday knowing that the Cats are in and wondering about seeding, rather than sweating out the the last 4 spots.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
[QUOTE=MDW79;27946]Yeah, but how could he not. That was the point myself and countless others made. Anybody, with even a basic understanding of the RPI knew it would start to climb with BE play, and especially wins. That in order to get to 11 or 12 wins there would be MULTIPLE quality wins, well more than enough. The fact our RPI has "skyrocketed" after only 7 games, with wins against some lower conference teams, it makes his statement even dumber. If it's at 38 at 4-3, where do you think it would be at 12-6, 11-7? And it's not like a bunch of BE teams are now ranked that were not we he said that.

Whew...sorry, I feel better. I'm just amazed this guy has the balls to make this prediction, weeks removed from shitting all over our OOC schedule. It should have came with an apology, and a staff pi
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

i dont doubt what you say- but we don't know what his opinions on certains teams were at the time. i know he was of the thinking earlier in the year that the big 10 would get more teams in than the big east. as time has prevailed, the big east has proven to be just as strong, if not better than the big 10 up to this point in the year. he might have been thinking that certain big ten teams would be better (MSU) and that certain big east teams might not be top 25 teams/high caliber opponents (Louisville, ND, SJU, or that UConn would fall off as many predicted in conference play).

my point is, things fluctuate in college basketball on a weekly basis. pre-season top 10 teams turn into 8/9 seeds or even get left out of the tournament. pre-season middle tier teams turn into 3/4 seeds. you cant judge him as an idiot or a moron for an opinion he had on January 1st on a team, when it is now Jan 25, because things change very quickly in college basketball.

a lot of the best in the business predicted texas would win it all last year- they were an 8 seed and lost in the first round. aside from Duke, the next most popular preseason pick for champion this year is MSU. they look completely disfunctional and kicked a starter off the team last night. things change quickly in college basketball, and with all the moving parts, guys aren't morons for making comments about teams that get proven wrong.

Last edited by dp3113; 01-26-2011 at 06:47 PM.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote