Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 5+ 19 61.29%
UC wins by 1-4 6 19.35%
UCLA wins by 1-4 0 0%
UCLA wins by 5+ 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Gotta have this game!! We owe UCLA some serious retribution. I still remember being in Vegas when we lost in double OT in 2002. That was a serious gut punch. Last year was a little easier to swallow. They have been under seeded each time we faced them in the dance.

We need the column 1 road win for our non con schedule...and we owe UCLA a beat down.
I was at that game. One of the best I've ever seen the cats play, and most dissapointing in the end. Think I was 14 or 15. Pittsburgh fans cheering against us the whole time.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Really interested to see what kinda of fan turnout UCLA has.

They have a 12K Arena and haven't brought any good teams into yet, so we are their first good home game of the year, previously they were bringing in between 6 and 8k.

As for some scouting on UCLA:
Kenpom Rank: #46
KP Off Rank: #41
KP Def Rank: #64
Best wins: Vs #91 Georgia Tech 63-60, Vs #60 Wisconsin 72-70

I've only watched one and a half UCLA games this year, so mostly just interpreting data. They seem to be a much different kinda of team than last year as they are only shooting the ball 35% from deep, compared to 41% last year. Also they don't have Lonzo Ball and thats a huge plus for the bearcats.

Thomas Welsh and Aaron Holiday are the 2 veterans of the team. Holiday leads the team in scoring with 17 PPG and chips in 5.7 assists per game. The ball is in his hands a lot and he will most likely play every minute of the game Saturday. Thomas Welsh is a 7 footer who can shoot. And he has extended his range out to the 3 point line this year where he is 6 of 11 to start the season and is grabbing nearly 11 rebounds a game. Kyle Washington absolute cannot leave him open in the mid range. He is deadly out there. Prince Ali sat out last year but seems to be starting at the shooting guard spot and chips in 10 a game and is shooting over 40% from 3.

This team also has 2 really talented freshman in Guard Jaylen Hands ( Ranked #22, 5 star) and Wing Kris Wilkes ( last #21, 5 Star) who play big minutes for the Bruins. Both are averaging 12 points a game and Hands is shooting 44% from distance. These are really talented kids that we will need our experience and defense to frustrate. UCLA also has 2 more top 100 freshman who are under suspension and are guys the Bruins could really use. When they get those guys back, UCLA will be a much deeper team.

I think UC matches up much better with UCLA than they did Florida or Xavier. UCLA can get to the rim but I don't think it will be very easy against UC's defense. If the crowd doesn't get to us and we don't completely miss every 3 point shot, I think we walk away with a huge win on Saturday.

71-63 bearcats
I wouldn't call shooting 11 3s in 9 games really opening up his game that much. That's barely shooting 1 a game, don't wanna let him open deep but doesn't sound like it's a shot he is particularly looking for. I've watched ICLA twice this year, they definitely aren't the same as last year. Lost a do it all guy in anigbogu and a real stretch big in leaf on top of Ball. Don't think they have near the offensive firepower they did last year, and we held that in check for a lot of the game. UCLA doesn't have the defense to match our intensity. This is a game I don't think we should have much problem with as long as we are focused. 79-71 cats.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #13
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I was at that game. One of the best I've ever seen the cats play, and most dissapointing in the end. Think I was 14 or 15. Pittsburgh fans cheering against us the whole time.
I watched that game back in the day. Was a weird game. At one point I think they went back and added a 3 a couple minutes after the play for UCLA. Couple odd things like that happened. We still should have won. That uc team could play
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #14
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I watched that game back in the day. Was a weird game. At one point I think they went back and added a 3 a couple minutes after the play for UCLA. Couple odd things like that happened. We still should have won. That uc team could play
Yes sir they could. I remember thinking that was our year.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I wouldn't call shooting 11 3s in 9 games really opening up his game that much. That's barely shooting 1 a game, don't wanna let him open deep but doesn't sound like it's a shot he is particularly looking for. I've watched ICLA twice this year, they definitely aren't the same as last year. Lost a do it all guy in anigbogu and a real stretch big in leaf on top of Ball. Don't think they have near the offensive firepower they did last year, and we held that in check for a lot of the game. UCLA doesn't have the defense to match our intensity. This is a game I don't think we should have much problem with as long as we are focused. 79-71 cats.
6-11 from a 7 footer is a big deal considering Holman hit 3 3’s on us last night and had only taken 16 all year.

Kyle doesn’t know how to deal with stretch bigs. He thinks every big is going to go to the post and then gets lost when they catch and shoot a 3. Holman and Kanter both did this to him. I think Keith stone might have as well.

I mean Kyle Washington has only taken 6 3’s all season, but we all know he can shoot that shot.

Context is everything when talking 3 point shots and centers. They will never shoot as many as guards but you better not get lost. His deep mid range game is already deadly and almost automatic
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #16
gav

gav is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
That was one of most exciting UC teams to watch with Steve Logan being a senior and games against Marquette and Louisville.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #17
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Really excited for this game. I know Florida and X were rated higher in the polls but I think UCLA in Westwood will be our biggest challenge. Travel and distractions are everywhere. Hope the Cats go in with their heads on straight and come away with a win.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #18
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
https://youtu.be/juasDWOgJAI
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #19
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Thanks for Posting Jake. Really touches on some things we have discussed here.

Interesting that he commented that Evans plays better when he lights him up.

Wouldn't it be nice to find that blend between Kyle and Gary. He mentioned Gary as playing really well in all aspects of the game. He did mention passing out of the double team. Something Kyle could stand to improve on. He also said we missed a bunch of open shots but that happens. Have to keep playing hard.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #20
NYCAT

NYCAT is on a distinguished road
I'll be there with my better half, three sons and grandson. Expecting a Bearcat victory 72-65. Payback's a bitch!
Go Bearcats! Happy Holidays to all!
NYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote