Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What grade do you give the non-conference performance?
A 1 7.69%
B 4 30.77%
C 6 46.15%
D 2 15.38%
F 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Solid B from me. 2-2 is ok in those 4 games. Outscored Florida, Miss St, UCLA by +23 combined. We won our tournament too. The negativity around here is the worst. Someone gave an 11-2 team a C-/D? Really? Who do you think we are? The Warriors? Did you think we were going 29-2 this year? Weird grade to me.
I can't believe people are giving them a B. Before the season most people thought this was a final 4 caliber team. Based on the Non conference (which was the question asked), have they looked like that at all? Florida, miss at, and Florida are not/ we're not good when we played them. None are ranked right now and Florida was only ranked because the pol didn't come out yet. 2-2 is fine for an average team but this team was supposed to be great. Can the turn it around? Yes. They might dominate the conference but based on the non conference, what was above average? (Which a B would be).
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
I'd gives us a B+

Positives: No bad losses. Went 2-2 during our tough stretch and traveled three time zones to put together an elite performance against a talented squad. Defense has been fairly stellar.

Negatives: Not competitive against X @ Cintas. Incredibly uncomposed against a beatable Florida team.

Certainly not much to complain about from an on-court point of view but I wanted to see how satisfied others were with where we are now.
Based on early expectations I would probably give it a B but I might lower that grade a bit because FLA isn't that good. Maybe C+. We should have went 3-1 vs that 4 game stretch. Defense gets an A for the most part.

We are still trying to figure out our identity so we should expect some bumps along the way I guess. Clark and Evans get an A from me. Evans has some turnovers but otherwise is doing very well. Washington is picking up the pace a little. I am starting to agree with others on Cumberland...he's either making a shot or missing bad...I don't get it. Cane is playing much better but obviously coach still has some issues with him to work out. I would give Jenifer a solid B based on not extremely high expectations.

I think we will continue to play better together as we go but we aren't a well oiled machine yet. I think there will be a game or two where we could struggle and lose one that we shouldn't...but hopefully we are clicking late in the season. Our defense should hold us in most games even if we aren't efficient on offense here or there.

Enjoy the ride I guess. Don't complain too much if we hit a bump or two.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Is miss st or ucla a tourney team? I don't think they are. So we beat 2 teams that won't be in the tournament. One at home. These iare our big wins. How is above average? What am I missing?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #14
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I can't believe people are giving them a B. Before the season most people thought this was a final 4 caliber team. Based on the Non conference (which was the question asked), have they looked like that at all? Florida, miss at, and Florida are not/ we're not good when we played them. None are ranked right now and Florida was only ranked because the pol didn't come out yet. 2-2 is fine for an average team but this team was supposed to be great. Can the turn it around? Yes. They might dominate the conference but based on the non conference, what was above average? (Which a B would be).
We never dropped below #13 on KenPom at any point in the non-conference. I'm pretty sure that's better than we have ever been. And you can say Miss St and UCLA aren't great, but you act like we beat them on buzzer beater. We didn't. We kicked the crap out of them. That should count for something. Even if you drop a full letter grade for each loss, based on the other wins in the bigger games, winning our tournament, and not losing or really being tested otherwise, how do you get to a D?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #15
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Bro what are you watching? Turn it around?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know. I guess we can say we took care of most of the teams like we should have. Buffalo was a little too close maybe but we can't be on every night I guess. UCLA we looked really good. Miss st we looked decent. Obviously FLA was a struggle and we got kicked in the teeth early at X. We are still #10 in Kenpom so we must have done something right.

That FLA game stings obviously and X was going to be a tough tough game whether they were ranked #50 or #1. I wish we had the FLA game back though.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Is miss st or ucla a tourney team? I don't think they are. So we beat 2 teams that won't be in the tournament. One at home. These iare our big wins. How is above average? What am I missing?
We beat them by 29 combined on the back end of a very tough stretch. I mean, if you watched the UCLA game and don't give credit for that performance, you have no idea how to appreciate good college basketball when it's right in front of you.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #18
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Ill give it a C because it really wrapped around that 4 game stretch.

and out of all the potential outcomes of that, it was middle of the road.

.95 ppp vs x/florida left a bitter taste in my mouth.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #19
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
We never dropped below #13 on KenPom at any point in the non-conference. I'm pretty sure that's better than we have ever been. And you can say Miss St and UCLA aren't great, but you act like we beat them on buzzer beater. We didn't. We kicked the crap out of them. That should count for something. Even if you drop a full letter grade for each loss, based on the other wins in the bigger games, winning our tournament, and not losing or really being tested otherwise, how do you get to a D?
Maybe it is a C, but how is it a B? Our expectations were through the roof and they haven't played great. 3-4 teams we played aren't that good. That's not me being negative, that's the truth. We looked like crap against Florida. Those 4 games are basically all we have to go on. You can't base anything off the other games the teams were so bad. Even in our tournament we struggled with buffalo. This is above average?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #20
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEER CINCY View Post
Id would def travel to Ohio Univ, Wright State, Toldeo, Ball State, Bowling Green, etc etc etc. Ton of season tickets holders dont go to these crappy non-conf blowouts anyways. I dont care what people think of our schedule or if we lose a few home games to travel within 2/3 hours. Its all about tourney time and giving ourselves the best chance to do that. Under Cronin since joining the AAC, we have done ourselves no favors in this space. And whatdya know, X plays Northern Iowa on the road tonight.
So you'd go to these places? Risk a tough loss every year, and in turn give up a home game, and it's for the fan experience? Lol... how would a season ticket enjoy an away game more than one they can actually go to???
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote