Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Refs This Year

Let me preface by saying I think most NCAA refs are garbage and the NCAA has made it very difficult to be effective.

Is anyone disturbed by the point of emphasis on first step travel calls this year?

Literally half the time a Ref is calling a travel off the set position at the wing it isn't a travel. If you are dribbling the ball it cannot be a travel. If the ball is not in your hands it cannot be a travel. Look at the Cumberland call last night. Dude didn't even have possession and they called a travel.

Second point is I think big men are being unfairly targeted when they pump fake for feet shuffling that doesn't always occur. For example Tre Scott got called last night for a travel and I slowed it down and he didn't move his pivot at all. In the second half Ernest Aflakpui got the ball with his back to the basket; shuffled both feet!; then began to pivot.

I guess I am just fed up with phantom travel calls when guards are still allowed to crab dribble, euro step, and gather before a shot with impunity. Seems like these calls are slowing the game down and making it less fun to watch. I really don't understand what these calls add to the game.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
I agree the amount of travel calls seems to be up this year. I think when you have old guys going from not calling it for years to making it a point of emphasis they're going to make mistakes. They still can't even figure out when to call a touch foul, block, and charge, let alone watch the player dribble and his feet at the same time.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with the travel calls it is very annoying, but carrying the basketball to me has gotten so out of hand
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I'm mixed on it. I do agree some seem to be a little ticky tack when no advantage is really gained in that first step. On the other hand, I don't like the NBA's approach that basically let's the offensive player do whatever he wants because it seriously hampers a defenders chance to defend a play. If I had to lean one way, I'd rather lean to following the rules as its spelled out rather than disadvantaging the defense. With all that said, this is year three of the new emphasis and I don't know that I've seen more calls this year than the last two. Maybe on our team just because Cumberland seems to be the big culprit, but he's guilty of moving before he dribbles. It's clearly defined so that's on him. As far as the refs last night, they seemed to be garbage period. The Scott one I really didn't get cause to me it seemed like he didn't have the ball long enough to travel, but I admittedly didn't see his feet one way or the other.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I'm mixed on it. I do agree some seem to be a little ticky tack when no advantage is really gained in that first step. On the other hand, I don't like the NBA's approach that basically let's the offensive player do whatever he wants because it seriously hampers a defenders chance to defend a play. If I had to lean one way, I'd rather lean to following the rules as its spelled out rather than disadvantaging the defense. With all that said, this is year three of the new emphasis and I don't know that I've seen more calls this year than the last two. Maybe on our team just because Cumberland seems to be the big culprit, but he's guilty of moving before he dribbles. It's clearly defined so that's on him. As far as the refs last night, they seemed to be garbage period. The Scott one I really didn't get cause to me it seemed like he didn't have the ball long enough to travel, but I admittedly didn't see his feet one way or the other.
I guess I don't understand what it adds to the game. I never thought travelling was an issue in the NCAA. I understand the changes to arm braces, hand checks and moving screens because it effects the flow of the game, i.e., the game is more aesthetically pleasing when guards have space, but how does calling a phantom travel add to the flow of the game?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I totally agree with the travel calls it is very annoying, but carrying the basketball to me has gotten so out of hand
Has it? I think palming and carries were a bit ridiculous at times (especially when you can call it every play) but has travelling ever been an issue in the NCAA?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Has it? I think palming and carries were a bit ridiculous at times (especially when you can call it every play) but has travelling ever been an issue in the NCAA?
It’s the new hesitation move when a player completely stops moving with their hand under the ball and then streamlined to the basket, it’s just not good for basketball imo
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
They call traveling ten times more in College. And the one that really kills me is when a guy is starting his dribble and get an extra half step before Jr ball hits the ground. A lot of time it's not changing the play at all, it's not helping the guy get going any faster. It's just a waste of time and pointless turnover. Cumberland gets hit with that a lot.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
The first step travel call has always been the most over blown call ever. It hardly gives the offender an advantage and is nearly impossible to know if it's truly a travel. It does basically nothing but slow down the game. I don't mind traveling calls, I hate how the NBA allows them to do whatever they want, it's the catch and take a quick step before the ball hits the ground traveling charge that is terrible.

The charge is the second worse call in college basketball.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post

The charge is the second worse call in college basketball.
the charge is what gets me worked up. if the guy with the ball side steps you and brushes your shoulder, ITS NOT A CHARGE. you didn't get in defending position. you got set but then he went to the side of you. the only way that contact knocks you over is if you completely flop. from my point of view the ball-handler made an athletic move and you are the one committing the foul.

and thats just one specific play. i hate seeing all these charges where the guy was clearly late and the refs bail him out. if a guy isn't clearly set or clearly getting trucked over, call it a block.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote