Originally Posted by SlamJam View Post
LOL WUT?!?!

sarcasm ? idk how to explain it any other way
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
What's up with all this KenPom stuff?? His computer predictions mean nothing.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Indiana is floundering under Tom Crean, IU presently predicted to finish 12-19. Mick finished 18-13 his third year at UC playing in a much tougher conference than the Big 10 beating Pitt, WVU, Georgetown twice, Syracuse.

Sure am glad UC hired Mick instead of Tom Crean.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
What's up with all this KenPom stuff?? His computer predictions mean nothing.
He is pretty accurate.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
He is pretty accurate.
Every UC game has been pretty straight forward, the only real toss up game was the St Johns game and the prediction was incorrect. What makes KenPom more accurate than the Vegas Line? I agree with his assessments that are used to calculate the teams ratings but when you extrapolate that set of data to predict winners when there are so many variables that come with a game, it loses value.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
Indiana is floundering under Tom Crean, IU presently predicted to finish 12-19. Mick finished 18-13 his third year at UC playing in a much tougher conference than the Big 10 beating Pitt, WVU, Georgetown twice, Syracuse.

Sure am glad UC hired Mick instead of Tom Crean.
As you already know, Tom Crean was not an option in March 06. If you are going to give Cronin 10 years (as you have said), then you have to also give Crean 10 years before you can judge him. Bottom line, most of us could care less what Crean and every other coach (including Huggins) does. This is UC. We have a coach that has our team 17-3 and is on the verge of returning us to our rightful place in the basketball landscape. Be happy with this. (I know you are ralph, but enough of what happens at IU, WVU or anywhere else in relationship with what happens here).
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #17
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Every UC game has been pretty straight forward, the only real toss up game was the St Johns game and the prediction was incorrect. What makes KenPom more accurate than the Vegas Line? I agree with his assessments that are used to calculate the teams ratings but when you extrapolate that set of data to predict winners when there are so many variables that come with a game, it loses value.
no one said kenpom was more accurate than vegas' line. Rather, that it often mirrors closely the vegas line.

Also, the vegas line for the St johns UC game opened at st johns -2.5 and went to -3 at many books by tipoff. So, how was kenpoms St Johns prediction incorrect? He had St Johns as 1 pt fav and expected them to win 51% of the time. Basically a coin flip, that UC would win 49% of the time. Which was pretty much how that game looked to me, and also mirrored closely the vegas line.

obv if it was a magic genie fortune telling machine we'd all be rich and just bet the farm on it, but to try and point out a game that was really as close as the uc/ st johns game as discrediting his method, seems kinda silly to me.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #18
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Just need to win 10 BE games. Not asking too much.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbuc88 View Post
As you already know, Tom Crean was not an option in March 06. If you are going to give Cronin 10 years (as you have said), then you have to also give Crean 10 years before you can judge him. Bottom line, most of us could care less what Crean and every other coach (including Huggins) does. This is UC. We have a coach that has our team 17-3 and is on the verge of returning us to our rightful place in the basketball landscape. Be happy with this. (I know you are ralph, but enough of what happens at IU, WVU or anywhere else in relationship with what happens here).
I am comparing Mick's first 3 years at UC to Crean's first 3 years at IU. I believe this is a very fair comparison.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #20
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Crean is a damn good Xs and Os coach. Mick still hasn't shown me that he can get his guys to consistently deliver on offense or defense.....at least for an entire 40 minutes.

I like Mick, but if your guys can't run your offense, then find those that can. Just some advice.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote