Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
You "know", huh? Last time I checked, UC basketball was terrible before Bob Huggins restored the program to a Top 25 program. I love when people act like they are so smart on an internet board but when called out on it, hide behind vague ambiguities ("I learned from the most successful coach..." or "I am one of those that know..."). Give me a break.
Who was the drunk on the police video that was shown nationwide?
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
I know how many have been arrested by the police, should I start naming them?
Ralph:

For every kid that has problems under Huggs, there are many more that succeed and earn a college degree.

To say that "he does not recruit quality people" is insulting to all the UC players that attended our University during his tenure.

Huggs has a big heart and does take chances on players with sketchy backgrounds and upbringing. Huggs is like a father figure to many of his players that didn't have the opportunity to have a strong father figure in their lives growing up. There are many, many players that will forever be in debt to Huggs for the kindness and opportunity he provided to them when most others dismissed them.

I don't give a $hit if you bash Huggins, because he certainly has had some black marks on his resume', but DO NOT start to bash the character of kids that you do not know, whether they are his current players or his former players that attended our University.

For someone that claims to have worldly knowledge of all things relevant to life, you are offensive more often than not.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
To say that "he does not recruit quality people" is insulting to all the UC players that attended our University during his tenure.

Huggs has a big heart and does take chances on players with sketchy backgrounds and upbringing. Huggs is like a father figure to many of his players that didn't have the opportunity to have a strong father figure in their lives growing up. There are many, many players that will forever be in debt to Huggs for the kindness and opportunity he provided to them when most others dismissed them.
I don't give a $hit if you bash Huggins, because he certainly has had som
black marks on his resume', but DO NOT start to bash the character of k
that you do not know, whether they are his current players or his forme
players that attended our University[QUOTE].

I stated "in general he does not recruit quality people" I did not say "he never recruits quality people".
It is not a coincidence that another of his players got suspended and another
walked off the bench and out of the arena in the middle of a game, it is history repeating itself.

Last edited by ralph1950; 01-24-2011 at 09:38 PM.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I like both Cronin and Huggs. Its crazy that Huggs was so close to the NBA (being drafted) then had that extremely unfortunate car/bike accident. Even more interesting is he never was interested in drinking or any kinds of drugs. If you were ever a UC fan it is very insulting to say he drafted "bad" kids. He most certainly did not and was a valuable mentor to EVERY kid that ever played for him. You can not find a person who cares anymore about their players. But, in reality, there are tons and tons of coaches who are like that. Even our very own Mick Cronin. If that bothers you, your head is somewhere dark.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
The UC program was dead until Huggs came. He brought in the guys that turned the program around. What Mick is able to do comes directly from his success, not what happened in the early 60s.

I hope that MC can bring in the quality of players that Huggs did, otherwise we will have few arrests, and fewer NCAA tourneys.

Look at Florida football, yet another star player got arrested. Does the media or fans care? NOPE.
It's not about a player, but about winning. (at least to most)
I'm not saying that UC shouldn't put a premium on quality kids with good character, but you can't always fault a coach for what an athlete does.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
I know how many have been arrested by the police, should I start naming them?
Ban this clown. Nothing good is added to the board with his useless antics.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
You "know", huh? Last time I checked, UC basketball was terrible before Bob Huggins restored the program to a Top 25 program. I love when people act like they are so smart on an internet board but when called out on it, hide behind vague ambiguities ("I learned from the most successful coach..." or "I am one of those that know..."). Give me a break.
I sense a cheap and unnecessary shot at me

Can throw in there, I taught Pierre Garcon everything he knows
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #18
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure how to even reply to Ralph. The fact some think that he contributes a single thing to this site, or is ever even mildly, or occasionally amusing is a mystery to me. Ralph, get a clue. You shit on Huggs, you shit on this program. If it wasn't for him, Cincinnati wouldn't be "Cronin Crazy". Woodward would be Cronin Crazy. (maybe) You are showing absolutely zero respect to the kids that have worn this jersey, and the same kids that got us into this conference in the first place.

On topic:

1.) This is good news for us, if this is for more than a game. (He was already suspended for one earlier)

2.) I would argue this shows the character and toughness of Coach Huggins. If anything, give the man credit for having the balls to suspend his leading scorer during a crucial stretch, when they're fighting for postseason position. In all honesty, there's more coaches, with phony good two shoes exteriors, that wouldn't do this, than that would.

3.) I'm feeling all a whole lot safer if we can run off a 4-1 record in these next 5. If we hit that last stretch with 21 wins, there's no telling what may happen. (5-7 seed would be looking real likely to me)

Last edited by MDW79; 01-24-2011 at 10:32 PM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
SlamJam

SlamJam is on a distinguished road
Ralph do you like Duke? Just a simple question because it appears to me you are very high on doing things the right way- recruiting the right kids and things like that which is why you didnt like huggins. Duke should be the ultimate team then for you

Two feet behind the line...nothin' but twine.
SlamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #20
thebeast

thebeast is on a distinguished road
its obvious why he did this so when we beat him again he can use all kinds of excuses
thebeast is offline   Reply With Quote