Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
First, Mick has said each and every year that he was going to press and play uptempo. Not me, Mick. Who wants to bet that at the end of the season we'll be saying that this team wasn't equipped to press?

Second, regardless as to whether I think they had the bodies or not, the argument that you have to make shots to press is a lame one. Every team makes shots and makes FT's. That gives you an opportunity to press if you really want to. Now if you don't think the team is equipped to press then fine, don't do it, but that is a whole separate argument from not pressing because you didn't make shots. YOU said "you have to put the ball in the hoop" to press - I just showed how this argument is stupid. They put the ball in the hoop plenty of times to press if that is what Mick really wants to do.
very well put
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I'll send them to you for approval.

Implying they could press just because they made SOME shots in a game is really stretching to make a point. Pressing requires more then made shots.To be able to have the desired impact it is very helpful to make some shots. This allows you to set up Press.Especially if your going to use it to speed up the play of the other team and force turnovers. It is effected by foul trouble,health and depth of personell and how effective it would be against the competition. As I pointed out it may have been Micks intent to play uptempo and press but after getting into the seson and evaluating many factors including his teams inability to make shots, he decided it wasn't in his teams best interest. Do you get it???? This is my last post on subject. Enjoyed the banter. When I need a spell checker I'll let you know.

Sounds like we are both fans that enjoy uptempo high pressure defensive basketball. Lets hope we get the style we want with a bunch of wins to go with it. I also think it will help recruitng as many of todays players would rather play that style. It translates to the next level. Hopefully Micks reputation is growing and his ability to recruit this style of athelte will make all that possible.
Of course I get it. Its you who keeps missing the point. This is my last attempt to make it clear to you: I understand there are other factors in running a press. I understand that Mick didn't think his team was equipped to press. I'm personally not saying they were fit to press. What I'm saying, and it should be clear by now, is that simply saying they didn't make shots is a bogus excuse. The other reasons may be valid, not making shots isn't, especially when they make on average 25-30/game.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
You can also press on missed shots too. Occasionally every blue moon the ball goes out of bounds or we travel or throw it out of bounds or there is a tv timeout or a foul going for an offensive rebound
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
You can also press on missed shots too. Occasionally every blue moon the ball goes out of bounds or we travel or throw it out of bounds or there is a tv timeout or a foul going for an offensive rebound
Well I sure hope we do start the up tempo press style this year because I think it's more fun to watch as a fan and gets more fans in the seats. It leads to a lot more monster dunks and pull up uncontested 3's. We will have the athleticism and length to do it...just need to see if we will have the quality depth that we need. I think we will. If we do start up tempo this year I see it continuing for a while with the type of recruits we have in these last two classes.

I think it would be fun to have a Goon Squad 2.0 as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Of course I get it. Its you who keeps missing the point. This is my last attempt to make it clear to you: I understand there are other factors in running a press. I understand that Mick didn't think his team was equipped to press. I'm personally not saying they were fit to press. What I'm saying, and it should be clear by now, is that simply saying they didn't make shots is a bogus excuse. The other reasons may be valid, not making shots isn't, especially when they make on average 25-30/game.
They only averaged 19 FG a game in Big East play last year FYI...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
Press or not this statistic has to improve.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #27
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
They also averaged just over 14 ft's a game. Not sure how may were the front end of two ft's, but that still adds to the total. Probably gets in the range of 25/game. Point still holds, that's plenty of made shots to press if that is really what you wanted to do. And as was pointed out, you can also press on out of bounds, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
Press or not this statistic has to improve.
absolutely.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #28
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
We are all fans and might have different ideas on how this team can and can't be successful, but bottom line is 19 FG's made is not a recipe for success. And as much as Mick loves his tough defense and says he's not worried about things you can't control (which making shots is something he considers you can't control) you better bet he knows that 19 FG's a game isn't cutting it. I for one do believe we'll see a different approach this year and that in the past we didn't have the right formula for running it for one reason or another. Perhaps I'm naive, but his recruiting does point towards this style and he claims every year he wants to implement it and we see it early on. At least Mick is smart enough, in my opinion, to not run something that won't be effective and do what gives us the best chance to win. If we can't outscore teams then why play a game in the 80's? These past couple of years when the offense has been horrific, he slowed the game down and made it a defensive battle. We had a bettter chance to win a game in the 50's than the 80's. We can talk all day about what will and won't happen this year. The good news is in two days the Cats will be on the court and begin to answer that question for us.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
We are all fans and might have different ideas on how this team can and can't be successful, but bottom line is 19 FG's made is not a recipe for success. And as much as Mick loves his tough defense and says he's not worried about things you can't control (which making shots is something he considers you can't control) you better bet he knows that 19 FG's a game isn't cutting it. I for one do believe we'll see a different approach this year and that in the past we didn't have the right formula for running it for one reason or another. Perhaps I'm naive, but his recruiting does point towards this style and he claims every year he wants to implement it and we see it early on. At least Mick is smart enough, in my opinion, to not run something that won't be effective and do what gives us the best chance to win. If we can't outscore teams then why play a game in the 80's? These past couple of years when the offense has been horrific, he slowed the game down and made it a defensive battle. We had a bettter chance to win a game in the 50's than the 80's. We can talk all day about what will and won't happen this year. The good news is in two days the Cats will be on the court and begin to answer that question for us.
very well said David
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #30
westsidecat
Banned

westsidecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Well I sure hope we do start the up tempo press style this year because I think it's more fun to watch as a fan and gets more fans in the seats. It leads to a lot more monster dunks and pull up uncontested 3's. We will have the athleticism and length to do it...just need to see if we will have the quality depth that we need. I think we will. If we do start up tempo this year I see it continuing for a while with the type of recruits we have in these last two classes.

I think it would be fun to have a Goon Squad 2.0 as well.
what i think is fun to watch is the ball going in the basket. style of play doesn't worry me and i think people are over reacting to style of play.

bottom line is you have to score. 19 fgm was second to last in the big east. they have to score more and i really could careless what style they use to do it.
westsidecat is offline   Reply With Quote