Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Guyn vs. Caupain

Honestly I'm 50/50 on this one, I like both of them, I don't think ether one of them are bad, both of them are pretty similair styled players, fast, physical and good at defense. From the videos it looks like Caupain might have the advantage from the ball handling stand-point, but Guyn looks like he is a better outside scorer.

I know a lot of people on this board think Caupain will be the eventual starter, and I too am high on this kid, but I think Guyn will play in the last 5 minutes of close games for most if not all of the season.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Guyn. One cannot really expect that much from true freshman unless their name is Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I'm waiting to see Caupain play and see how Guyn has improved. I honestly always thought Davis looked better at running point than Guyn did albeit in garbage minutes. One thing for sure is whichever one plays better defense and not commit dumb fouls will have the upper hand at getting minutes. With that said, Guyn needs to improve in that capacity because from what he's shown he can start all he wants, he won't play more than 15 minutes without fouling out. Davis' defense is what kept him off the court. Caupain will certainly need time to adjust to this level, but his ability to play D will probably have more to do with if he will play point than how he runs the offense.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I'm waiting to see Caupain play and see how Guyn has improved. I honestly always thought Davis looked better at running point than Guyn did albeit in garbage minutes. One thing for sure is whichever one plays better defense and not commit dumb fouls will have the upper hand at getting minutes. With that said, Guyn needs to improve in that capacity because from what he's shown he can start all he wants, he won't play more than 15 minutes without fouling out. Davis' defense is what kept him off the court. Caupain will certainly need time to adjust to this level, but his ability to play D will probably have more to do with if he will play point than how he runs the offense.
I'm with you. The reality is we cannot even have this debate because we just don't know. One kid has played only in high school and I've never seen him play; the other has never been more than a backup in his first two years and has had 7 months to get better. If they are even, I'd rather play Troy and prepare for the future, but for now, I can't give an opinion.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Look for Guyn early in the year and Caupain to slowly take over the starting job. Guyn will always retain value as a defender, but I think Caupain has far more upside.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
The more I think about it the more I think the PG position might be more of a hodge podge this year. GG likley isn't good enough to get the lion's share and TC is going to be too inexperienced and probably a little too slow on D. If we are going to press and play up tempo Mick may use this position to bring in fresh legs (JDIII, DM, KJ, etc).

When we want to play slow and controlled we will have fewer options to bring the ball up. When we want to play up tempo we don't really need a true PG as much. It's rebound and find the first outlet. The only players I can't see being viable outlets for fast break are basically centers DN, Strickland, and maybe JJ. Our wings and forwards should be more than capable of taking an outlet pass without tripping and breaking a leg.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
Personally, I am hoping Guyn has developed/matured enough to stop his "hesitation" style dribbling...I love his defense and hope maturity will help with his body control on defense as well...excited to see Caupain and all the freshman to see what they bring to the squad...
Go Bearcats!
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Looks to me as if Guyn was trying to model himself after a healthy Cash. Most of his fouls were reaching in and trying to steal the ball. Cash was just too quick with his hands to be able to replicate. Guyn, on the other hand, has way more size than did Cash. He's a fairly decent ball handler, too, if you look at some of the old tapes. More importantly, he's not afraid to drive into the paint, and has some decent moves in the process. A few games against our early season patsies should give him some needed confidence. As for Caupain, he's one of our unknown quantities. Everybody hopes he's the next Oscar. I do too. The real question for ALL the many guards we have is: which one of you has innate basketball IQ? That's who we want running point. We've got a young team. How they gel is key to a successful season. Too bad we don't have a decent center. One more note - this will be a the real test season for SK. Having Cash and Parker out there with him made him look good. Who will be in the backcourt with him this year, and how will he adapt?
Just read a quote from Mick that referred to his incoming freshmen which seemed to imply one of the three (Morman, Caupain or Johnson) would be playing in front of Guyn. Impied - but not stated that way exactly).
There's a nice blog Beacatblog.com written by Scott King. He's good. That's where the quote is. I didn't want to hijack it over to here without his sayso.
Check it out.
Can't wait for this season to start!

Last edited by CaptDale; 10-23-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Additional Info
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Looks to me as if Guyn was trying to model himself after a healthy Cash. Most of his fouls were reaching in and trying to steal the ball. Cash was just too quick with his hands to be able to replicate. Guyn, on the other hand, has way more size than did Cash. He's a fairly decent ball handler, too, if you look at some of the old tapes. More importantly, he's not afraid to drive into the paint, and has some decent moves in the process. A few games against our early season patsies should give him some needed confidence. As for Caupain, he's one of our unknown quantities. Everybody hopes he's the next Oscar. I do too. The real question for ALL the many guards we have is: which one of you has innate basketball IQ? That's who we want running point. We've got a young team. How they gel is key to a successful season. Too bad we don't have a decent center. One more note - this will be a the real test season for SK. Having Cash and Parker out there with him made him look good. Who will be in the backcourt with him this year, and how will he adapt?
Just read a quote from Mick that referred to his incoming freshmen which seemed to imply one of the three (Morman, Caupain or Johnson) would be playing in front of Guyn. Impied - but not stated that way exactly).
There's a nice blog Beacatblog.com written by Scott King. He's good. That's where the quote is. I didn't want to hijack it over to here without his sayso.
Check it out.
I've seen those quotes before and there is nothing there implying one of the frosh will start over Guyn. I heard as recently as 2 weeks ago that Caupain due to his outh was struggling with adjusting to the physicallity of high D1 basketball. There is an adjustment for these guys. Until I see different, I believe a returning player will initially start at the point while TC and the other frosh adjust. Mormon is looking really good in practice. Especially defensively.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Basketball.com
Banned

Basketball.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Check it out.
UC mens basketball will be good! Go bearcats
Basketball.com is offline   Reply With Quote