Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #11
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Just finished watching a replay of the game.
Bellarmine can pass the ball very well! We should learn from that. Plus their movement is constant. They are well-coached. They're not a great team, even for DII, but they are good. They don't take bad shots, AND they make their FT's. Hope we learned something from them.
That said, contrary to others, I think Guyn is way better than you think. He's got good handles and he is capable of taking it to the hoop when there's room. He doesn't do it very often, but when he did this game, it was a really nice move.
On the other hand, Caupain played OK, but was not impressive in any one particular facet. We didn't see enough of Johnson or Morman to learn much. JDIII looked good, but he must be on Cronin's shit list for some reason. He hustles. I think we'll see a lot of Guyn at the point, so if he can develop a touch for the 3 (which we're finally getting smart enough to avoid unless wide open), he'll be really tough.
JJ is unlike the previous years. When he puts the ball on the floor, I no longer cringe. I know he'll TO a few, but not like he used to. We'll have to wait and see how he fares vs real competition and centers of size.
Lawrence played better, had a few points, but no flashes of brilliance. Don't know how long he's had that FT preshot routine, but I think he's trying to distinguish himself from the crowd to get attract NBA scouts, or something.
I like Shaquille, but he's going to be a frustrated player if he doesn't get more minutes. I hope he continues to play hard. The guy has a great vertical leap!
SK is SK. He'll get his points. Glad to see him trying to drive.
Rubles plays tough but has no shooting touch. Unfortunately, that's an innate trait. I'm not sure it can be developed. He needs to watch SK - he's the poster boy for shot finesse on this team. We need Rubles offensively as well as defensively. He just lacks those spin moves in the paint, finger roll layups off the glass, etc. But he plays hard.
Nyarsuk should switch to volleyball.

Last edited by CaptDale; 11-03-2013 at 12:48 AM.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
"I thought Caupain and Johnson were kind of invisible today" - This is exactly what you want from a freshman if he isn't an instant impact guy. Just don't hurt me with the minutes you play. However, I also think Caupain and KJ are going to be really good players and that Caupain will be really solid by years end and going forward.

JD3's situation is a head scratcher. My hope is Mick is just getting the frosh playing time. We NEED JD3s offense!! I truly believe a line up of JD3, SK, Shaq, Rubles and JJ would score.

JJ could have been to a whole new level had he gotten the message he got this past offseason 3 years ago.

Mormon has the groin injury so not a huge surprise his time was limited in anticipation of the first game.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 11-03-2013 at 08:32 AM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
handwaver

handwaver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Just finished watching a replay of the game.
Bellarmine can pass the ball very well! We should learn from that. Plus their movement is constant. They are well-coached. They're not a great team, even for DII, but they are good. They don't take bad shots, AND they make their FT's. Hope we learned something from them.
That said, contrary to others, I think Guyn is way better than you think. He's got good handles and he is capable of taking it to the hoop when there's room. He doesn't do it very often, but when he did this game, it was a really nice move.
On the other hand, Caupain played OK, but was not impressive in any one particular facet. We didn't see enough of Johnson or Morman to learn much. JDIII looked good, but he must be on Cronin's shit list for some reason. He hustles. I think we'll see a lot of Guyn at the point, so if he can develop a touch for the 3 (which we're finally getting smart enough to avoid unless wide open), he'll be really tough.
JJ is unlike the previous years. When he puts the ball on the floor, I no longer cringe. I know he'll TO a few, but not like he used to. We'll have to wait and see how he fares vs real competition and centers of size.
Lawrence played better, had a few points, but no flashes of brilliance. Don't know how long he's had that FT preshot routine, but I think he's trying to distinguish himself from the crowd to get attract NBA scouts, or something.
I like Shaquille, but he's going to be a frustrated player if he doesn't get more minutes. I hope he continues to play hard. The guy has a great vertical leap!
SK is SK. He'll get his points. Glad to see him trying to drive.
Rubles plays tough but has no shooting touch. Unfortunately, that's an innate trait. I'm not sure it can be developed. He needs to watch SK - he's the poster boy for shot finesse on this team. We need Rubles offensively as well as defensively. He just lacks those spin moves in the paint, finger roll layups off the glass, etc. But he plays hard.
Nyarsuk should switch to volleyball.
About Bellarmine not being a great team for division II....

http://athletics.bellarmine.edu/news...101135403.aspx
^ From this site:
LOUISVILLE, Ky.--The Bellarmine University men's basketball team is starting the season ranked in the top five of all of the major NCAA Division II preseason polls as the NABC Coaches Poll came out on Monday with the Knights occupying the No. 4 position. Last month, The Sporting News also had Bellarmine in the No. 4 spot and the DII Bulletin ranked the Knights No. 5.

I don't know if you can call any team in D-II "great", but within that context, they are pretty darn good

About Shaq...he needs to get some arc on his shot - his shot has a terrible angle to fall in the hole...it's like a line drive

Thought Caupain looked good at times - led a couple of nice fast breaks with good dish - looked like a newbie at other times

Agree 100% about Rubles...Inside, with defensive pressure, he has no clue

Last edited by handwaver; 11-03-2013 at 08:21 AM.
handwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwaver View Post
About Bellarmine not being a great team for division II....

http://athletics.bellarmine.edu/news...101135403.aspx
^ From this site:
LOUISVILLE, Ky.--The Bellarmine University men's basketball team is starting the season ranked in the top five of all of the major NCAA Division II preseason polls as the NABC Coaches Poll came out on Monday with the Knights occupying the No. 4 position. Last month, The Sporting News also had Bellarmine in the No. 4 spot and the DII Bulletin ranked the Knights No. 5.

I don't know if you can call any team in D-II "great", but within that context, they are pretty darn good

About Shaq...he needs to get some arc on his shot - his shot has a terrible angle to fall in the hole...it's like a line drive

Thought Caupain looked good at times - led a couple of nice fast breaks with good dish - looked like a newbie at other times

Agree 100% about Rubles...Inside, with defensive pressure, he has no clue
But Rubles is a good facilitator.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I was a little turned off by Shaq's attitude. Granted, Cronin took him out the second he made a mistake but he really let his emotions show. Every time he came to the bench he ignored his teammates, constantly shaking his head is disgust. Hopefully its not a big issue and I am looking too much into it but it def. didn't seem like a good thing yesterday.
I am a huge fan of Shaq and am waiting for him to bust out and become a stud out there. I personally think he could/should be the best slasher on this team. Not sure what its going to take to get him there but there is no reason why he can't get close to the rim and get a good shot or get fouled majority of the time. His length and athleticism is crazy and I don't think we have seen half of his potential. I realize he is only a sophomore but he has been around for 3 years now. Hopefully its time.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=UCalum08;72741]I was a little turned off by Shaq's attitude. Granted, Cronin took him out the second he made a mistake but he really let his emotions show. Every time he came to the bench he ignored his teammates, constantly shaking his head is disgust. Hopefully its not a big issue
Hard to say if his demeanor was about being yanked or if he was disgusted with himself. Lots of athletes are their own worst critics and block out everything else when they don't execute. On the other hand, he may have the attitude "it's all about Shaquille". Guess we all would like to be flies on the wall during the team meeting after the game. He, for sure, has the most potential to excel.
I also agree and have said in the past, no arc on either his shots or FT's make for a very narrow window of shooting success.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff;72737[B
"I thought Caupain and Johnson were kind of invisible today" - This is exactly what you want from a freshman if he isn't an instant impact guy. Just don't hurt me with the minutes you play. However, I also think Caupain and KJ are going to be really good players and that Caupain will be really solid by years end and going forward.[/B]

JD3's situation is a head scratcher. My hope is Mick is just getting the frosh playing time. We NEED JD3s offense!! I truly believe a line up of JD3, SK, Shaq, Rubles and JJ would score.

JJ could have been to a whole new level had he gotten the message he got this past offseason 3 years ago.

Mormon has the groin injury so not a huge surprise his time was limited in anticipation of the first game.
Completely agree and to be clear to everyone when I said they were invisible I didn't mean it negatively. They both to me looked really good for true freshman that are in their first exhibition games. The fact that they are out there and not making bone-headed mistakes says alot.

One thing I do kind of question about Cronin and I've said this in past years is when he subs 3 or 4 of the starters at once and brings in the back-ups all at once. In an exhibition game it doesn't bother me as much because it's nice to see what they can do (or can't do) and obviously in garbage time its nice because you have the game in hand and you can see your team of the future out there. But sometimes I wish I could see Caupain with the rest of the starters or Johnson or Lawrence with the rest of the starters. It seems most of the time one was on the floor of the three freshman that got minutes they were all on the floor. And Davis, too. It just seems to me they won't develop as much when their in game experience is alongside other players who are still developing. You are only as good as your weakest link and how can a player shine with a couple weak links out there at once?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
[quote=CaptDale;72743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
I was a little turned off by Shaq's attitude. Granted, Cronin took him out the second he made a mistake but he really let his emotions show. Every time he came to the bench he ignored his teammates, constantly shaking his head is disgust. Hopefully its not a big issue
Hard to say if his demeanor was about being yanked or if he was disgusted with himself. Lots of athletes are their own worst critics and block out everything else when they don't execute. On the other hand, he may have the attitude "it's all about Shaquille". Guess we all would like to be flies on the wall during the team meeting after the game. He, for sure, has the most potential to excel.
I also agree and have said in the past, no arc on either his shots or FT's make for a very narrow window of shooting success.
Was thinking the same thing. Sometimes if its the former and not the latter he'll end up at the end of the bench or with a coach (or veteran) in his face. Lets hope he's just frustrated with himself.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
I have to straighten you guys out..again...

1. Sanders gets so many minutes because Shaq Thomas gets lost far too much on defense. He cannot stay on the court doing this.

2. Nyarsuk barely played because they didn't have a traditional big man. Hard for him to guard out on the perimeter against a team that passes so well.

3. Mick clearly wanted to work on the press (it was awful btw) and JDIII is too slow. I would expect him to get more minutes in the regular season.

4. Mick wasn't kidding when he said Johnson and Morman can play defense. From what I've seen, all the freshman will play.

5. Lawrence has a long way to go on defense and he isn't strong enough to get to the basket to contribute. Any points he scores will be from jumpers.

6. I've been saying all off-season that Kilpatrick needs to get more efficient on offense. That is what he has done thus far.

7. Jackson looks so much better this year. He should average around 10 and 8.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
subflea

subflea is on a distinguished road
JDIII isn't playing as much because he is sitting behind our leading scorer. I know many of you think he is a PG, but he isn't. He is a 2 guard, so in order for him to see the floor you either have to sit SK, or move SK over to the 3 spot, which means sitting Sander or Thomas and losing quite a bit of length on the floor.
subflea is offline   Reply With Quote