Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Thru two EX games Stats

I know it doesn't mean much but just trying to spot trends. Through two exhibition matches here are some stat leaders.

Minutes:

JJ...32.5
SK...30
TR...22.5
GG...21.5

Points/game (min 10 minutes/game):

SK...22
JJ...16.5
TR...11.5

JDIII...second to SK pts/minute

Rebounds/game (min 10 minutes):

JJ...8
TR...5.5
ST...4.5

DN...first on team rebounds/minute

Assists (min 10 minutes):

SK...2.5
TR...2.5
KJ...1.5
Tc...1.5

Steals (min 10 minutes):

SK...2
TR...1.5
TC...1.5

JDIII...(first on team steals/minute)

Blocks (min 10 minutes):

JJ...4
TR, KJ, DN...1/2 per game

Turn overs (min 10 minutes):

SK...2
Tc...2
TR, ST...1.5

Personal fouls (min 10 minutes):

TR...3.5
JL...3
ST, GG, KJ...2.5

FT% (min 3 attempts)

SK...88%
TR...64%
GG...63%

ST and DN 100% (less than min attempts)

3 pt % (min 2 attempts)

SK...50%
TC...50%
KJ...20%
GG...0%

JD and JS 100% (1 attempt)

FG % (min 10 minutes)

JJ...66%
TC...66%
TR...53%
SK...50%

JDIII...leads team at 75%
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
thanks waterhead for doing the "leg-work" on the stats so far...
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I know it doesn't mean much but just trying to spot trends. Through two exhibition matches here are some stat leaders.

Minutes:

JJ...32.5
SK...30
TR...22.5
GG...21.5

SK...22
JJ...16.5
TR...11.5

JJ...8
TR...5.5
ST...4.5

SK...2.5
TR...2.5
KJ...1.5
Tc...1.5

Steals (min 10 minutes):

SK...2
TR...1.5
TC...1.5

Blocks (min 10 minutes):

JJ...4

SK...2
Tc...2
TR, ST...1.5

TR...3.5
JL...3
ST, GG, KJ...2.5

FT% (min 3 attempts)

SK...88%
TR...64%
GG...63%

3 pt % (min 2 attempts)

SK...50%
TC...50%
KJ...20%
GG...0%

FG % (min 10 minutes)

JJ...66%
TC...66%
TR...53%
SK...50%

Appreciate that!
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
ucswais

ucswais is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing. Really the only thing that jumps out at me is that we have a starting point guard who isn't getting assists or shooting from outside. I can dismiss 2 games, but I think we all knew coming in that position was a concern. Hopefully his D makes up for questionable production creating points.
ucswais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucswais View Post
Thanks for sharing. Really the only thing that jumps out at me is that we have a starting point guard who isn't getting assists or shooting from outside. I can dismiss 2 games, but I think we all knew coming in that position was a concern. Hopefully his D makes up for questionable production creating points.
If caupain can play D he will replace Guyn very soon.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
If caupain can play D he will replace Guyn very soon.
Guyn is 3/7 from the floor. He's not a volume shooter like SK. At least he knows not to throw up bad shots. He'll get his when he gets a couple to fall and his confidence appears and his fear of a Mick "yank" disappears. Mick's one mistake and you're out philosophy is negative reinforcement for these guys. That's bad in sports. You have to highlight good actions first - then you can pick apart the faults. We have an inordinate amount of talented guards on this team, but in 3 minute spurts, it's going to be tough to distinguish one's self. Protecting the ball should be a high priority for PG, with running the floor a close second. BTW has anyone noticed that whenever we bring the ball up the floor. the first pass is almost always a short bounce pass to whomever is at the top of the key? If I'm the opponent and have watched the tapes, I'm stealing that ball and taking it to the hoop. Better be careful out there!
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Guyn is 3/7 from the floor. He's not a volume shooter like SK. At least he knows not to throw up bad shots. He'll get his when he gets a couple to fall and his confidence appears and his fear of a Mick "yank" disappears. Mick's one mistake and you're out philosophy is negative reinforcement for these guys. That's bad in sports. You have to highlight good actions first - then you can pick apart the faults. We have an inordinate amount of talented guards on this team, but in 3 minute spurts, it's going to be tough to distinguish one's self. Protecting the ball should be a high priority for PG, with running the floor a close second. BTW has anyone noticed that whenever we bring the ball up the floor. the first pass is almost always a short bounce pass to whomever is at the top of the key? If I'm the opponent and have watched the tapes, I'm stealing that ball and taking it to the hoop. Better be careful out there!
First off Micks coaching has turned this program around. Absolutely nothing wrong with holding your players accountable and nothing does that like the threat of losing playing time. Oh and that is not bad in sports or professional world. Guyn's does not protect the ball or make good decisions. Could really careless about his shooting at this time. I hope he takes a step forward but I'm not convinced at this time. He'll need to prove himself in Practice and in games when given the opportunity. Its apparent Mick doesn't feel like he has done that hence the competition for his spot. I think you've lived in California to long. LOL next you won't feel its neccessary to keep score. LOL!!!!
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
I am not as worried about someone stealing that entry pass as I am about the whole offensive scheme. There is no creativity and still no movement. I don't understand why we want to put our big men out on top and clog up all the places that our PG COULD try to drive.

We don't need a PG if their only job is to pass it to the nearest player and then get out of the way. That is not what I call a ball distributor. I really hope JDIII, KJ, and/or DM can steal time from those currently getting minutes at the PG. As quick as KJ is I think he can get around almost anyone and it sounds like that is the case with Mormon as well. JDIII might be slow but he knows how to play BB. You don't need to be speedy if you have good instincts and he does...he shows it on D as well with steals.

I also hope Mick will install a new offensive scheme.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Minutes:

JJ...32.5
SK...30
TR...22.5
GG...21.5

SK...22
JJ...16.5
TR...11.5

JJ...8
TR...5.5
ST...4.5

SK...2.5
TR...2.5
KJ...1.5
Tc...1.5

Steals (min 10 minutes):

SK...2
TR...1.5
TC...1.5

Blocks (min 10 minutes):

JJ...4

SK...2
Tc...2
TR, ST...1.5

TR...3.5
JL...3
ST, GG, KJ...2.5

FT% (min 3 attempts)

SK...88%
TR...64%
GG...63%

3 pt % (min 2 attempts)

SK...50%
TC...50%
KJ...20%
GG...0%

FG % (min 10 minutes)

JJ...66%
TC...66%
TR...53%
SK...50%

A couple things that are standing out to me so far. Obviously JJ has improved...I can't be sure exactly how much until he has to actually go up against a competent big man...but he has improved. He's averaging 32 minutes and only 1 foul/game. At the same time he's gotten more productive offensively and is still getting after shot blocks. It looks like JJ has been "coached up".

JS has played 35 minutes and you might have guessed 5-10 if you look at his stats. He's been about as unproductive as they come. Yes he gets to the right spots and plays solid D...but I see a couple of freshmen that will play better D. Sorry JS...it's nothing personal...but you need to be more aggressive or lose your job IMO. Minutes went from 20 to 15 and will be at 10 or less soon without a change in confidence.

KJ is quick and Cronin says DM is the quickest. KJ's on ball D really looked good and his recover time and ability to run down balls is going to come in handy. If DM is actually even more athletic??? I will be seriously impressed. Both of these guys could be better defenders than Bishop...even though there are height issues if guarding a 3. They are both quick enough to guard any 1 or 2 and athletic enough to guard 3's IMO.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I am not as worried about someone stealing that entry pass as I am about the whole offensive scheme. There is no creativity and still no movement. I don't understand why we want to put our big men out on top and clog up all the places that our PG COULD try to drive.

We don't need a PG if their only job is to pass it to the nearest player and then get out of the way. That is not what I call a ball distributor. I really hope JDIII, KJ, and/or DM can steal time from those currently getting minutes at the PG. As quick as KJ is I think he can get around almost anyone and it sounds like that is the case with Mormon as well. JDIII might be slow but he knows how to play BB. You don't need to be speedy if you have good instincts and he does...he shows it on D as well with steals.

I also hope Mick will install a new offensive scheme.
It's been 8 years, I think what we see is what we are going to get. As a fanbase we need to stop expecting a different offense. It will just give us more and more headaches. When Mick says uptempo it seems evident to me he's talking about pressing on defense and creating steals. I like Mick and I will support him through and through as long as he is here and he wins, but an offensive guru he is not. We just have to find players that can execute on the offensive end and quit with the projects, at least the completely clueless on offense bigs. We are getting better and better recruits so hopefully we find guys that can put the ball in the basket in this style of play because as much as we all can hate it, it is here to stay.

And more on that note. I think one important thing to remember is we have won the last few years fielding teams with less "talent" than maybe half of the conference we played in. I put talent in quotes based on how recruits were rated coming in. We weren't bringing in the top talent that our opponents were and Mick found ways to win with players that had some serious flaws which we all have pointed out over the years. My point is now that we are in a weaker conference and our winning has allowed us better recruits that should all change. I'm excited to see what will happen the next few years with this program.