Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-18-2023, 01:53 PM   #11
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Hit and miss half. We did a great job on the boards and the PnR was working. Some bad offensive sets later in the half where we had MAW or Nolley trying to create from the baseline resulting in terrible shots or turnovers. And we lost track of shooters at the end of the half too.

We should win this game if we can keep trying to get rim looks for Ody and Lakhin instead of whatever short corner nonsense we're trying to run. The only time it ever makes sense to target the short corner is against a zone, which Hofstra is not running.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:28 PM   #12
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Great defense from Skillings on Estrada this half. Forced him into some really tough shots.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:51 PM   #13
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I always liked Speedy Claxton in the NBA. Tough player.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:56 PM   #14
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

We dominated the glass all game. Second half defense was really good. Player of the game for me is Skillings. He was on Estrada when we built our big lead. His length and rebounding is a huge asset if he can stick at SG.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:01 PM   #15
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking the game is starting to slow down for Skillings.

He just flies and can get out of control, but once he starts to follow details more he's going to really be a handful.

Looking forward to seeing how talented these income freshmen are and if this year's class and them can build something quickly.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:10 PM   #16
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I'm thinking the game is starting to slow down for Skillings.

He just flies and can get out of control, but once he starts to follow details more he's going to really be a handful.

Looking forward to seeing how talented these income freshmen are and if this year's class and them can build something quickly.
Day Day Thomas and Jizzle James are both major athleticism upgrades over DDJ and MAW at PG, and Griffith is also a major upgrade over Davenport. So even if MAW and Davenport stay, they'll have better athletes pushing them for minutes.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:12 PM   #17
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
I had a blast at the game today. Great showing by the traveling UC fans. Skillings brought a large group. I got to bump fists with Cane Broome and Terry Nelson too.

The Hofstra crowd was surprisingly subdued for most of the game. Learned afterwards that students were on spring break but aside from one of their first half runs, the crowd was a nonfactor.

Sat next to a longtime Hofstra season ticket holder who knew little about UC but had me scared before tipoff with how he described the incredible team effort to beat Rutgers.

We did a great job to utilize our size and strength advantages to make Hofstra look like an outmatched mid-major.

As for the players:

Really gained an appreciation for Nolley's gamesmanship. Truly carried himself with a swagger and confidence that was unmatched by anyone else on the court. I shudder at the thought of what this season would've looked like without him.

DDJ was phenomenal. He was intent on making plays with the ball in his hands from the very jump. 9 assists and 1 turnover in 33 minutes is outstanding. His leadership will be missed next season.

Ody is very physically impressive in person. His finishing and dominance on the boards - especially in the first half - was outstanding. There is definitely a role for him on next season's team.

Vik played very composed and had some impressive finishes at the rim as well.

MAW had a pretty typical game. Was a stable presence on both ends for the most part.

Skillings had a great defensive showing - especially in the 2nd half. Our halftime adjustments on guarding their two best players was the difference maker of the second half. Skillings played a huge role in that.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:53 PM   #18
Seal Beach Bearcat

Seal Beach Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Excellent analysis; and your optimism is very refreshing. I hate the nontournament stretch as much as anyone, but I am confident that the arrow for Wes and the team is pointing UP!
Seal Beach Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:20 PM   #19
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
I got to bump fists with Cane Broome and Terry Nelson too.
Nice! Always cool to interact with Bearcats in person. I met Troy Caupain at a G League game several years back.

Good game summary. We've definitely got some pieces that can be part of a top 25 team.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:35 PM   #20
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

We did what we needed to do on the glass and outrebounded them 42-27. We got a lot of quality rim looks, with Ody and Lakhin combining to go 12-14. Nolley got to the free throw line 12 times and DDJ had 9 assists. MAW was our only player with multiple threes. In general the offense was working except for a couple periods of stagnant sets - we shouldn't be putting up more than 20 midrange shots.

The defensive effort was great in the second half. Estrada scored 18, but he needed 24 shots. The length of Skillings really bothered him. Lakhin and Ody played solid interior defense, holding them to 50% at the rim. Good balanced game, we scored 1.12 points per possession and held them to 0.92.