Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Katz on Lance

1)Stephenson knows his college basketball career did not feature him in the best light to potential future employers. He just believes his potential and his talent will get him drafted so he can make a better life for his family. That's the risk he knows he's taking.

2)Without Stephenson, the Bearcats will face a difficult time next year trying to get back to the NCAA tournament.

I was at Mick Cronin's news conference Wednesday, where Cronin defended Stephenson and counted out the reasons why Stephenson - who responded in the affirmative when he was asked at least twice this season if he was returning to school next year - was leaving to try his hand at pro ball.

See, I don't think that's necessarily true. Not the family-struggling part (that's not for me to judge), but the selfish-if-you-stay part. To me it makes better business sense to stay in school another year and then maybe push your way back into the first round of the Draft. Yes, that's another year of a family of struggling, but a better chance to cash in on millions of dollars.

As for what happens to UC next year? Well, the Bearcats lose their top-two scorers in Stephenson and Deonta Vaughn. Yancy Gates has proved unreliable with his work ethic and consistency. Rashad Bishop remains an unknown. Jaquon Parker, Cashmere Wright and Sean Kilpatrick are young. Does anybody see a leading scorer in there? Does anybody have faith this team will make the NCAA tournament?

"The thing about Lance is we recruited him hard for about 30 days," Cronin said. "We didn't build our team around Lance. He was a late addition last summer. He was a last-minute surprise and he raised a lot of eyebrows among recruits and gained a spotlight on your program. But you look at our roster and Sean Kilpatrick was recruited for that position. So we redshirted him."

I still think Stephenson could be a good pro player. Some of the moves he made this year were utterly amazing, and, according to Cronin, his work ethic can't be questioned. I don't think it's a great move to declare for the draft when your stock is so low, but Stephenson obviously feels this is in his family's best interest. Hopefully, it works out for him.

For more...

http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/katz-on-the-cats/
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
ohioubearcat

ohioubearcat is on a distinguished road
Katz is dead on here. I believe Lance is educated well on his draft status. He knows he has the possiblity of not getting a contract, but I think he is feeling the pressure from his family to provide for them. They have been told of Lance's talent and future riches for a long time now and last year should have been a nice dose of reality. NYC is notorious for creating hype surrounding "flashy" players, which doesn't always transition into quality pro players.

As UC fans we know that Lance isn't ready for the next step. He at this point is a glorified street player who can hope skip and jump down the floor but can't hit a consistent 15 footer. Can Lance turn into an a quality NBA player? Yes, but unfortunately I don't think he will. Too many kids try to develop themselves while on an NBA roster and find themselves out of the league after 3 seasons. As of right now I see Lance falling into this category.

As for Kat's thoughts on UC next year without Lance, I also agree. Although I disagree with Katz bc this team will make the 96 team tournament field. Would they make a 65 team tournament? No (at least with the players we have now) Lance would have been the focus of this team next year and rightfully so. Now as unfair as it may be....Killa is gonna have to step up and contribute. This is certainly unfair to put on a redshirt freshman but.....as of right now I think he is our best option to replace some of Lance's points.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
For teams who want a project, he could go late 2nd round. I'm not sure a team will want to roster him like an Andrew Bynum who had multiple years sitting around and developing. I am glad he came to UC, and hope it works out. I'll just believe it when I see it.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
I'd take Lance well before many others in the draft.

I could see him being taken in the first round after his pre-draft workouts.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
ohioubearcat

ohioubearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post

In order for Lance to be a 1st rounder, he will need to be a dominant force in the pre-draft scrimmages. If he can avg 20 pts and 8 rbs a game he can move up into the 1st rd. If he is middle of the pack in those games, I don't think he has the overall skill set to raise his stock in individual workouts. He handles the ball well for his size and has an unbelievable ability to finish, but unfortunately individual workouts will not showcase this ability.

Good luck to Lance and heres to hoping this gamble pays off. It will be a solid move if he gets taken in the first round.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
swg
Epic Member

His shot is inconsistent at best. Also, he's not going to dominate NBA type players the way he did many of the opponents that guarded him, as they will be bigger, stronger, faster. Teams were playing him better as the season progressed.
In the end, his shooting will determine if/where he is drafted, IMO.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioubearcat View Post
Katz is dead on here. I believe Lance is educated well on his draft status. He knows he has the possiblity of not getting a contract, but I think he is feeling the pressure from his family to provide for them. They have been told of Lance's talent and future riches for a long time now and last year should have been a nice dose of reality. NYC is notorious for creating hype surrounding "flashy" players, which doesn't always transition into quality pro players.

As UC fans we know that Lance isn't ready for the next step. He at this point is a glorified street player who can hope skip and jump down the floor but can't hit a consistent 15 footer. Can Lance turn into an a quality NBA player? Yes, but unfortunately I don't think he will. Too many kids try to develop themselves while on an NBA roster and find themselves out of the league after 3 seasons. As of right now I see Lance falling into this category.

As for Kat's thoughts on UC next year without Lance, I also agree. Although I disagree with Katz bc this team will make the 96 team tournament field. Would they make a 65 team tournament? No (at least with the players we have now) Lance would have been the focus of this team next year and rightfully so. Now as unfair as it may be....Killa is gonna have to step up and contribute. This is certainly unfair to put on a redshirt freshman but.....as of right now I think he is our best option to replace some of Lance's points.
Katz does not understand that the NBA is going to lock the players out, there will not be a 2011-2012 NBA season. If he does not go this year he is stuck in college for 2 more years, not one. As far as UC goes next season Katz does not get it. Schools lose their top 2 or 3 scorers all the time. UC will make the 96 team NCAA Tourney next season, you can write that down and circle it.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
lumberjack

lumberjack has a spectacular aura aboutlumberjack has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post

If pigs start to fly than I can see your point.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
If pigs start to fly than I can see your point.
You must have never been to Sawyer Point to see the flying pigs.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I find it funny we're all so bummed about losing a player we are at the same time ripping so much. That's why honestly I'm somewhat indifferent about him leaving. I would've liked for him to stay, but there's no guarantee he would've improved next year. He wasn't a difference maker this year and could've continued to struggle next year. Now with that said...

I think Lance will at worst be a second round pick and possibly a late first rounder. The college game is completely different than the NBA game. Lance was lost here, but his talent and potential are unmistakeable. An NBA team will come calling. I think what alot of people don't realize also is teams that are really good and thus end up drafting late don't necessarily need a starter, thus they can draft for the future. That's why I think he could sneak into the first round. His superstar potential is higher than alot of other players in this draft and the NBA loves potential.