Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2011 Recruiting Profiles

Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
'11 OH DT Brandon Mitchell (UC Verbal 6/17/10)

Defensive Tackle
Cincinnati, OH (Withrow)

Ht: 6'2"
Wt: 290

Offers:Akron, Ball State, Ohio, Western Kentucky, Western Michigan, Illinois State

Interested: Cincinnati, Michigan State
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
The recruiting process can be a peculiar one this time of year as college coaches try to accurately evaluate high school sophomores and juniors- a monumental task considering these kids are still growing and developing. For some prospects, the highlight videos look too good to ignore, and those teens see their offer lists continually grow. But for many others, the process can be more extensive. Coaches may want more information before extending offers, and that often means they visit schools to see kids workout. Or it can mean they invite prospects to their summer senior camps and get a more overall evaluation of the players' skills.

As it stands now, Withrow's Brandon Mitchell might be called a recruiting "tweener." He has several scholarship offers, but he hasn't yet been able to land one from a BCS school. That might be changing.

Steve Stripling, Cincinnati's fine defensive line coach, has recently visited with Mitchell, presumably to get a better feel for the junior's talents.

At 6' 2" and 290 pounds, Mitchell would seem to pass the eyeball test for a defensive tackle, and coupling those physical numbers with his 40-5 record this year as a heavyweight wrestler (one victory from qualifying for the state tournament), he would also seem to have the needed agility. But the only schools willing to offer scholarships so far have been mostly Mid-American Conference institutions (Akron, Bowling Green, Illinois State, Ohio University, Western Kentucky and Western Michigan).

Mitchell was asked about the amount of interest he's receiving from the two-time defending Big East champions.

"They showed some interest last year, but this year it's really picked up. I spoke to their defensive line coach today about me going over there. He said he was interested in me. Basically, he wanted to get to know me better because he didn't know much about me as an individual."

The honorable mention Division I All-Southwest district performer was then asked if Cincinnati was a school he'd like to attend.

"Actually, it is because it's in the city, and they have a need for the Cincinnati talent to stay in Cincinnati. And Patrick Coyne is a good friend of mine from when we both went to LaSalle my freshman year, and they're also recruiting my brother, Antonio Poole, who goes to Winton Woods High School. We were talking about going there so I have a pretty good interest in UC and interested in what they can do for me."

Would the Withrow big man immediately accept a UC scholarship offer or use what has become the standard response of wanting to keep all his options open?

"They would definitely be at the top of my list," said Mitchell. "But I'm trying to be patient with the offers that are coming in. Even though UC is right around the corner, I still have a lot to learn about UC. I've heard good things, but I want to experience them for myself and would like to go on more visits. But if they did offer me, I would be highly interested."

Last season for the Tigers, Mitchell played both ways and weighed 315 pounds. Apparently, everyone isn't in complete agreement about where he should play in college.

"Most schools are recruiting me to play D-line as a nose tackle or 2-technique, but some see me as a 4-technique. Some have asked me if I want to play offense or defense, but I really couldn't give them an answer."

Academically, Mitchell said he's doing well although he did admit to struggling earlier in the year with a math class, but learning to better manage his time has helped. This spring the junior has participated in freestyle wrestling, track and weight lifting.

http://www.bearcatlair.com/home-news...likes-bearcats

Last edited by JasonS; 05-25-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
JasonS
Football Moderator

Another big defensive lineman who is also a wrestler. If I am going to take a chance on a kid like this, I would definitely look for those who also wrestle with any success. You would have to feel comfortable that he can keep his weight under control and obviously has some agility and quickness which are great attributes for a D-Lineman.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
This is the first I'm hearing of this kid. He literally plays right next door to UC. Seems to have the frame for a DT and the fact that he is an outstanding wrestler (as opposed to a kid that size who is just on the wrestling team) is intriguing as well. We have a long way to go until signing day and I'm sure there will be more prospects like him that pop up along the way. Gives me hope in case we strike out on our early prospects.
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I like him already sans film.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Withrow junior DT Brandon Mitchell (6-2, 300) recently added offers from Kent State and Bowling Green
MikeDyer, Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Old 05-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
swg
Epic Member

Mitchell also receiving interest from Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Boston College, N.C. State, Michigan, UC, Kentucky and Colorado

UC showing serious interest in Withrow junior DT Brandon Mitchell (6-2, 300), says Withrow coach Doc Gamble
Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
swg
Epic Member

UC offered Withrow junior DT Brandon Mitchell today
MikeDyer, Thursday, June 03, 2010

Mitchell has nine scholarship offers
Withrow junior DT Brandon Mitchell added an offer from Alcorn State last week
MikeDyer, Thursday, June 03, 2010
Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Great news. Dwyer does one hell of a job over at the enquirer.

This is great news for many reasons. I think we have a great chance at landing Branden who is a big man and a good athlete. He will have time to hit the weights hard here and learn the game from the likes of Derrick Wolfe.

Plus, this could give us the inside edge with Antonio Poole and Steven Daniels who are all family.

Nice...
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
CDS86

CDS86 will become famous soon enough
Commits to UC today per BCL...
CDS86 is offline   Reply With Quote