Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2013 Recruiting Profiles

Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
'13 OH QB Kyle Kempt (UC Verbal)

Quarterback
Massillon, OH (Washington HS)

Ht: 6'5"
Wt: 205 lbs
40: 5.08

Offers: Stanford, Ole Miss, Bowling Green, West Virginia, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Toledo, Indiana
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Bruce Feldman ‏ @BFeldmanCBS
2013 QB who JimHarbaugh offered before he'd played a varsity game RT @KyleKempt Made my decision, I'm committing to the Univ of Cincinatti
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
JasonS
Football Moderator

On the ESPN 150 Watch List (one of 300 players)
Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
JasonS
Football Moderator

Transition has defined Kyle Kempt's life for the last four years.

Less than 24 hours after his freshman year ended at a high school in Oregon, Kempt boarded a plane for Ohio. His family was moving to Massillon.

He went from playing quarterback as a freshman for a high school in Oregon that put nearly all of its money into academics to playing his sophomore year at Massillon Washington, where legendary coach Paul Brown's name is on the 16,000-seat stadium and state and national championship banners are proudly displayed from end zone to end zone.

The following year, well-known Ohio coach and former national coach of the year Thom McDaniels became Massillon's offensive coordinator, Kempt's third coordinator in three years.
Now with his senior season on the horizon, Kempt will be learning under yet another offensive coordinator, Badre Bardawil, after McDaniels left the program after just one season. It will be his fourth new offense in four years of high school football.

Like any good quarterback, though, the 6-foot-5, 200-pound ESPNU Watch List prospect has taken it in stride, never getting too high and never getting too low. And he feels this offense suits him best.

"This year will be the best of the three years because the system we're in is simple and multiple at the same time," said Kempt, who has offers from Ole Miss, Tennessee, West Virginia and Cincinnnati, among others. "We're perfecting what we do, not running a bunch of different plays. It's more like a Mike Leach system."

Though Kempt won't admit it, Massillon coach Jason Hall knows the constant change of coordinators has to have taken a bit of a toll on his quarterback.

"We've had some transition here. It's been a little frustrating for him," Hall said. "But I think he's excited about some of the new schemes and we are as well. We're getting back to more of a spread mentality."

Bardawil, a high school coach in Northeast Ohio last season, already had a solid background on Kempt and saw him play multiple times in person and on film. Bardawil saw the same thing Kempt did when Kempt was able to take a step back and evaluate himself: He was thinking too much. The new offense will run a lot of high-tempo, no-huddle sets, allowing Kempt to focus on just playing football instead of getting into his own head and outthinking himself.

As Bardawil points out, Kempt's biggest strength -- his mind -- can be his biggest enemy.

"A kid like him, as smart as he is, can over analyze, and that's what got him into trouble," Bardawil said. "I think the no huddle will help him keep his thinking to a limit. He'll use his football instinct and his God given talent."

The best showcase of that might have been in the season finale against Canton McKinley in the state's most heated rivalry. Kempt orchestrated a late drive keyed by a fourth-down conversion to score the go-ahead touchdown. (McKinley would eventually score in the waning seconds to win.)

"My best moments have been no huddle," Kempt said. "When we got into no huddle, that's when I got into a rhythm and was at my best -- when I'm thinking less."

Like any spread offense and no-huddle attack, the focal point of the offense is the quarterback. And in Massillon, football is the focal point of the town.

"He's our Peyton Manning. You saw what happened to the Colts this year, right," Hall said. "Our offense is dictated to Kyle. You can really say how our team goes is how Kyle plays.

"And like always at Massillon we want to a win a championship. That's not too much pressure, right?"

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...low-kyle-kempt
Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
JasonS
Football Moderator

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recrui...-Kempt-1093537

Elite 11 highlights
Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
JasonS
Football Moderator

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recrui...-Kempt-1093537
Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
JasonS
Football Moderator

Massillon Washington High School quarterback Kyle Kempt has given a verbal committment to the University of Cincinnati.

Kempt said he called Cincinnati football coach Butch Jones Sunday afternoon and told him he was ready to commit. Kempt visited Cincinnati on Saturday.

His commitment ends a long recruiting process that intensified over the last few months. Kempt also called coaches from West Virginia and Indiana, the other schools he was mostly strongly considering, on Sunday to inform them of his decision.

“Cincinnati was just the right place for me because it just felt like everything fit,” Kempt said. “Football, academics, campus life, the coaches, it was everything I was looking for. All the visits I’ve taken and the experiences I’ve had, Cincinnati just stood out.

“My gut feeling just kind of told me to go ahead and commit. I think I’ve found the perfect place.”

Kempt was offered a scholarship by then-Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh before starting high school in Oregon. His father’s job transfer brought the family to Northeast Ohio in 2010, and he chose to attend Massillon. He took over the starting job halfway through his sophomore season and threw for 1,643 yards with 14 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. Last year, he threw for 1,335 yards, 16 touchdown passes and 4 interceptions.

Scout.com lists Kempt at 6-foot-5, 200. He was 195 pounds before last season and plans to get to 215 by the time he enrolls at Cincinnati.

Kempt has never had a B in the classroom. Thanks to advanced-placement classes, his cumulative GPA is in the neighborhood of 4.15.

Kempt has a family tie at Cincinnati as his older brother, Cody, recently accepted a graduate assistant position with the Bearcats. But Kyle Kempt said his relationships with Jones and offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian were the driving force in bringing him back to campus this weekend and ultimately making his decision.

“It’s great that Cody is there, but he’s a graduate assistant and there’s no guarantee he’ll be there when I am,” Kyle Kempt said. “Cody being there had nothing directly to do with my decision. It was more about the offensive coaches and the overall fit.”

Kempt also had scholarship offers from Washington, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Bowling Green. He had visited Indiana and West Virginia during spring practice last month and saw games on unofficial visits at West Virginia, Ohio State and Notre Dame last fall. He attended camps last summer at Alabama, Toledo, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Washington and Ohio State.

“The most important thing for me was to find the right fit, and Cincinnati just felt perfect,” Kempt said. “It’s a four-year committment but it’s a committment for the rest of my life. Driving home this weekend I felt very fortunate that I’d found the perfect fit and I’m excited to move forward.”

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/04/02/1...42&feedID=3725
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
I feel very confident in our QB situation going forward. Coney, Kempt, Coyne will be battling it out after Munchie.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote