Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cronin's Corner

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Phillips goes off on C. Trent Rosecrans

Tired of pro athletes acting like this. C. Trent asked him a valid question and he acts like a jerk:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N63sJob...%3DN63sJobrscc

Meanwhile, I love Dusty just sitting there with his head up his a$$. He clearly can't manage in game and he is supposed to be so great with managing personalities, but he does nothing. We need someone like Pete Mackanin, who benched Ken Griffey Jr. for not running out a groundball. I don't think managers really mean a whole lot in baseball, but you have to have some control of your players. This is ridiculous, especially coming right after him whining about "only" making 72.5 million dollars to play a game. This isn't just a Brandon Phillips problem, IMO, this is a widespread problem across all sports.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Tired of pro athletes acting like this. C. Trent asked him a valid question and he acts like a jerk:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N63sJob...%3DN63sJobrscc

Meanwhile, I love Dusty just sitting there with his head up his a$$. He clearly can't manage in game and he is supposed to be so great with managing personalities, but he does nothing. We need someone like Pete Mackanin, who benched Ken Griffey Jr. for not running out a groundball. I don't think managers really mean a whole lot in baseball, but you have to have some control of your players. This is ridiculous, especially coming right after him whining about "only" making 72.5 million dollars to play a game. This isn't just a Brandon Phillips problem, IMO, this is a widespread problem across all sports.
Dusty Baker is a horrible manager. He does not play percentages he goes strictly on gut and feel. Hoover pitching the other night is a perfect example. You bring in a guy who throws nearly all fastballs to face a guy who is statistically one on the best fastball hitters in baseball, especially with runners on base and abra cadabra grand slam. He's horrible in game. A great locker room guy but horrible in game.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
I don't think Dusty is a horrible manager, he just is an old school guy. You know he won't make any adjustments, especially in the batting order. Moving Votto up to the 2 spot has been a good idea since May.

For as bad as Phillips has been (OBP is worse than Drew freaking Stubbs), he does hit well with runners on base (.317 average).

Choo
Votto
Phillips
Bruce
Ludwick
Fraiser
Mesaraco
Cozart
Pitcher

That is about as good as the Reds can get offensively.

Last edited by Bearcat_NTS; 08-28-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I don't think Dusty is a horrible manager, he just is an old school guy. You know he won't make any adjustments, especially in the batting order. Moving Votto up to the 2 spot has been a good idea since May.

For as bad as Phillips has been (OBP is worse than Drew freaking Stubbs), he does hit well with runners on base (.317 average).

Choo
Votto
Phillips
Bruce
Ludwick
Fraiser
Mesaraco
Cozart
Pitcher

That is about as good as the Reds can get offensively.
Like I said, I don't think he is horrible overall, but he is a manager. In baseball, IMO, managers mean less than they do in almost any other sport. They will help you win a couple games a year at most. If you are a team right on the outside looking on making the playoffs, the manager can make a difference, but if you are anybody else, it isn't like they have any magical powers. As Billy Beane correctly stated, the playoffs are a crapshoot.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
charlie hustle

charlie hustle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
I disagree. Rosencrans did not ask a valid question (tweet, whatever). He compared a 2 hole hitter's OBP with a 4 hole hitter's OBP. The approach of the 2 hole differs greatly than that of a cleanup hitter. BP's job this year is not to get on base. His job is to extend ABs, fouling off out of the zone pitches, in order to get something in the zone, so he can "clean up" the bases. He has the 2nd most RBIs of all NL cleanup hitters (Craig).

It could easily be misconstrued as an attack on both Dusty and BP. OBP is not and has never been the metric used to determine a good 4 hole hitter. RBIs is the metric for that. That's why BP jokingly told Dusty to put him in the 8 hole (if his OBP is so bad), which obviously would NEVER happen.

That said, BP didn't handle himself well at all. Not even a little bit. But Rosencrans is a moronic desk jockey that revealed himself to know very little about the sport.

Last edited by charlie hustle; 08-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.
charlie hustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
charlie hustle

and are you sure it wasn't Narron who benched Encarnacion?

i don't remember The Kid being benched for not running. I could definitely be wrong, though. Definitely a chance I missed 1 out of 162 games in 2007.

Last edited by charlie hustle; 08-29-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie hustle View Post
I disagree. Rosencrans did not ask a valid question (tweet, whatever). He compared a 2 hole hitter's OBP with a 4 hole hitter's OBP. The approach of the 2 hole differs greatly than that of a cleanup hitter. BP's job this year is not to get on base. His job is to extend ABs, fouling off out of the zone pitches, in order to get something in the zone, so he can "clean up" the bases. He has the 2nd most RBIs of all NL cleanup hitters (Craig).

It could easily be misconstrued as an attack on both Dusty and BP. OBP is not and has never been the metric used to determine a good 4 hole hitter. RBIs is the metric for that. That's why BP jokingly told Dusty to put him in the 8 hole (if his OBP is so bad), which obviously would NEVER happen.

That said, BP didn't handle himself well at all. Not even a little bit. But Rosencran is a moronic desk jockey that revealed himself to know very little about the sport.
Ctrent is about as good as a reporter as they come. He didnt ask a question. He simply pointed out a fact. A statistical fact. The whole point in putting Brandon in the 2 hole is to get more people on base in front of Joey. BP is hitting in the 300s when runners are on base and the low 200s when no one is on. There is a reason for this. It's much easier to hit with runners on than when they are not. Ctrent did not attack Brandon. Hell he didnt even call him out. He simply pointed out that the reds are putting somebody in the 2 hole who gets on base less than the person currently occupying that spot. BP was completely over the line. Disgusting.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
charlie hustle

not arguing that BP was out of line, not arguing it at all.
but again, BP's OBP could be .110 for all i care, as long as he's on pace for 115 RBIs. it just makes no sense calling out a 4 hole hitter's OBP. his approach all year has not been to get on base, but to drive in runs.

the comparison (/tweet) was idiotic. but yes, datdude was way over the line with his behavior.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I haven't heard the whole story. Was Phillips told what he said and that was his reaction or did he already know what he said and when given the opportunity he spoke out? Maybe he just thought Rosecrans was calling him out without realizing the context of how it was said. His reaction was extreme in my opinion, but at least he has fire. As bad as they've played the last week, it's good to know he's in a pissy mood. Honestly, I've been upset with Phillips average the second half of this year. He's clearly swinging for homeruns and giving away at bats. He typically a .290 hitter and last I saw he was at .259. The RBI's are great, but don't give at-bats away when no one is on base. When Phillips wants to be he can be a good hitter. As far as Dusty is concerned Iliked that he said nothing publically about it. Why stir the pot more? There's no way of us knowing if he was addressed privately by Dusty or the Reds. People give Dusty too much crap. And to my memory Griffey was never benched, but Encarnacion was and Mackanin got called out for why he'd bench one and not the other for the same thing. I do remember Dusty benching Phillips a couple years back for not running out a ground ball, for what its worth.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
BP should be embarrassed. His actions where beyond childish and unprofessional.

He gets paid ALOT of money to play a game AND to handle the media in an appropriate manor. Just absolutely ridiculous.

As for Dusty. His lack of action was absurd. BP should have been benched. Hell Dusty should have stood up and stopped the whole thing.

Im so sick of "athletes" who think they are entitled to do whatever they want because of there career.