Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Coomb's heart where home is

When Brian Kelly left UC last December for Notre Dame, he asked Coombs, his associate head coach and defensive backs coach, to accompany him at a substantial pay increase.

It was a tempting offer and Coombs weighed his options carefully. And then he said no thanks.

That was good news for Butch Jones, who quickly locked up Coombs as one of his first moves upon succeeding Kelly at UC.

"I don't believe in the term 'retain,' " Jones said. "I rehired Kerry Coombs. I've known Kerry Coombs for a long time. We used to work football camps together. Whether Kerry Coombs was employed at the University of Cincinnati, Central Michigan or Colerain High School, Kerry Coombs is going to be offered a job by Butch Jones."

Jones cited Coombs' teaching ability, his character, his love for Cincinnati and the passion he brings to his job. "When you couple all that in," he said, "it's a no-brainer."

Coombs, 48, is the only holdover at UC from Kelly's coaching staff. The former Colerain High School head coach is in his fourth season at UC, filling the same role under Jones that he filled under Kelly.

He's the most enthusiastic coach on the field during practice, constantly yelling and running around, exhorting his players, pointing out mistakes and praising good effort.

It's the same all-out style he used to post a 161-34 record in 16 seasons at Colerain, including a state championship in 2004.

"It probably doesn't make me a smart man financially," Coombs said of his decision to stay at UC. "And I don't blame anybody who left, but I love it here. I love everything about this university. I love the kids. I love the stadium. I love the environment.

"Honestly, I believe we're going to win a national championship and for a guy who's lived here all his life, to win a national championship in his hometown, it doesn't get any better than that. That's why I'm here."

Coombs is a Cincinnati native who lives five miles from the house he grew up in. He and his wife, Holly, went to Colerain. His three kids have gone to Colerain. He says he had other chances to get into college coaching but turned them down because he didn't want to leave Cincinnati and because he didn't want the nomad life of an assistant coach moving from city to city.

But when Kelly offered him the chance to work at UC and to serve as his front man in local recruiting, Coombs couldn't say no.

"It was perfect," Coombs said. "Instead of turning right out of my driveway, I turn left. I drive five more miles to UC than I did to get to Colerain. I'm one of the luckiest men in America. I coached high school football for 25 years. The last two years I've been on the sideline for the Sugar Bowl and the Orange Bowl. It doesn't get much better than that."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...re+his+home+is
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I read this in the paper the other day. Great article. Glad to see Coombs being loyal and not following the money. I got to imagine at some point he might move his way up to head coach for us. Hopefully Butch is successful and never leaves, but I won't hold my breath. Coombs is so crucial to local recruiting, I can't imagine if we'd have lost him.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I figured he might have been gone. He is going to be instrumental in the future for UC. BK has a lot of ties to the coaches/recruits still, but as BJ gets his name/rep out there, look for UC to keep home some of the bigger prospects.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote