Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-20-2023, 04:44 PM   #11
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think it shows how a lot of college teams don't scout effectively or can't execute a scouting report. Our PnR is very one dimensional. Our bigs are not a shooting threat and DDJ generally isn't trying to get to the rim. This isn't like Kyle Washington being able to pop for the three or Cumberland being a threat to drive hard at the rim if there's no hedge. Our PnR can be stopped by simply sagging off the big and the guard fighting through the screen.

DDJ has been good at taking advantage recently though. Much better than hero ball.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:42 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think it shows how a lot of college teams don't scout effectively or can't execute a scouting report. Our PnR is very one dimensional. Our bigs are not a shooting threat and DDJ generally isn't trying to get to the rim. This isn't like Kyle Washington being able to pop for the three or Cumberland being a threat to drive hard at the rim if there's no hedge. Our PnR can be stopped by simply sagging off the big and the guard fighting through the screen.

DDJ has been good at taking advantage recently though. Much better than hero ball.
I would agree with you here but DDJ does have a floater and mid range shot to work with if the big is not available. Even though he doesn't get to the rim (which I would prefer)...there are more options that can come out of the PnR like DDJ finding other players than the big to kick out to. He's done a pretty good job of finding players lately in all aspects. He's found a way to skip passes by keeping his head up.

I would not mind seeing (as has been said by a few)...moving him on ball more and maybe trade some minutes for MAW with Dan. Memphis did not allow DDJ to get the ball on the wing and it is tiring watching him run back and forth to try to get that done. Memphis will do that again. The game plan for Memphis should be to let him bring the ball up more so he doesn't have to fight so hard to get open. MAW doesn't provide nearly the dynamics of passing that DDJ does. It's time! And a nation leading assist streak of 5 or more in 13 games is all the evidence you need. He's already playing too many minutes and he's playing as hard as he can on D. Let's not run him ragged by making him run back and forth from side to side hoping to get a good screen. He's gotta be getting tired.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:51 PM   #13
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would agree with you here but DDJ does have a floater and mid range shot to work with if the big is not available. Even though he doesn't get to the rim (which I would prefer)...there are more options that can come out of the PnR like DDJ finding other players than the big to kick out to. He's done a pretty good job of finding players lately in all aspects. He's found a way to skip passes by keeping his head up.
I think teams would live with a midrange shot contested by a trailing guard. That's not a great shot to get out of PnR, and it's generally available any time. The big sagging would be able to contest a floater in the lane, and also prevent perimeter defenders from having to help so there's no one to kick out to. Cumberland or Kilpatrick would attack that big, but DDJ isn't really capable of that. That's what I mean by a one dimensional PnR. You can defend it pretty well with just the two primary defenders and no help. UCF just did a horrible job.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #14
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would not mind seeing (as has been said by a few)...moving him on ball more and maybe trade some minutes for MAW with Dan. Memphis did not allow DDJ to get the ball on the wing and it is tiring watching him run back and forth to try to get that done. Memphis will do that again. The game plan for Memphis should be to let him bring the ball up more so he doesn't have to fight so hard to get open. MAW doesn't provide nearly the dynamics of passing that DDJ does. It's time! And a nation leading assist streak of 5 or more in 13 games is all the evidence you need. He's already playing too many minutes and he's playing as hard as he can on D. Let's not run him ragged by making him run back and forth from side to side hoping to get a good screen. He's gotta be getting tired.
Yes, this is why I've been promoting horns. You should be able to free a guy with 3 man action on one side. If they are overplaying the down screen, then back door cuts and the screener slipping or rolling should be available, and the middle of the court would be wide open for driving lanes. Especially when we're going through a drought, running simple actions like that can help.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:12 PM   #15
David H

David H is on a distinguished road
Sometimes I think you guys say too much in here. Providing a scouting report for other teams in essence.

Diagram the other team so our coach can use it!
David H is offline   Reply With Quote