C: Aziz 25 / Vik 15
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:49 PM   #212
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
We're entering Year 3 of a major program rebuild and have been on a steady upward trajectory in nearly all areas since Wes took over.

Depending on how waivers/eligibility plays out, we should definitely go into next season expecting to compete for a NCAA tournament bid.

If we return the core of this roster for 24/25 then we could potentially be a top team in the Big 12.

As frustrating as the on-the-court results have been during the past 2 seasons, there's great reason to be optimistic about the future under Wes.
Yeah and Wes has been excellent at recruiting. I have some questions about him, but not in regards to recruiting.

Roster construction and keeping players happy is where I have questions. Wes seems to going for a get the best player(s) available and let the chips fall where they may method.

We'll see if that works out, I hope it does.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:55 PM   #213
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I agree we are best off if only one of Aziz/Reynold gets a waiver. I worry about Sage if both get waivers, does he RS, fight for minimal minutes, spend the year deciding where he's going to transfer next year? Reed may be in the same boat and I wouldn't be surprised to see Rayvon RS as well. Hopefully the guys who end up stuck at the end of the bench don't decide to bail out.

I am also quite concerned about the Day Day/Jizzle combination. Two PG's who have never played D1 basketball is not ideal. Perhaps they will excel, but history suggest PG is going to be a problem. I expect CJ Anthony to get some minutes with the current roster composition.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:08 PM   #214
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I am also quite concerned about the Day Day/Jizzle combination. Two PG's who have never played D1 basketball is not ideal. Perhaps they will excel, but history suggest PG is going to be a problem. I expect CJ Anthony to get some minutes with the current roster composition.
PG is the biggest area of concern for me too, but I have high hopes for Jizzle. He's ranked higher than some other PGs we've had that played almost 20 minutes right away, like Cash and Caupain, and even back to Devan Downey who played 31. I would have preferred some experience there, but I think he'll be fine alongside the other veteran guards/wings we have. Daveon I'm not so high on given that Juco guys generally don't perform well.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:09 PM   #215
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
PG: Daveon 25 / Jizzle 15
SG: Frederick 22 / Newman 12 / Rayvon 6
SF: Simas 20 / Skillings 14 / Rayvon 6
PF: Vik 25 / Ody 10 / Skillings 5
C: Aziz 22 / Reynolds 18
Interesting that you have Skillings getting minutes at the 4 even with Reynolds playing. That's the nice thing about having so much depth on paper - we can run out big or small lineups if we want.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:32 AM   #216
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Interesting that you have Skillings getting minutes at the 4 even with Reynolds playing. That's the nice thing about having so much depth on paper - we can run out big or small lineups if we want.
Just a rough guess that Ody would be the biggest casualty of PT if everyone ends up being eligible.

I think Skillings will work his way into a bigger role, but it's just a matter of where the additional minutes will come from as the battle for playing time looks really competitive at this moment - especially at the 2/3 spots.

While Jizzle is expected to have a significant role from day 1, I think it's important that Rayvon have an opportunity to work his way into the rotation early on too.

I'm sure an important part of our pitch to higher end recruits (4/5 stars) is the chance for immediate playing time on a big stage.

It'll be interesting to see how things how play out with minutes between the high floor/low ceiling guys (Newman), the high floor/medium ceiling guys (Frederick/Simas), and the younger high ceiling guys (Skillings/Rayvon).

That's not even including someone like Josh Reed in the mix.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #217
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I've mentioned this before, but I think our roster next year sets up well to run horns on offense like a lot of pro and college teams do now. A horns set starts with bigs at the elbows and wings in the corners. The Nuggets have been unstoppable by basically giving Jokic the ball at the elbow and then running a high-low game with Gordon off the other elbow and curls/corner threes/back door cuts from Porter and Caldwell-Pope. Murray is free to drive downhill off screens to a vacated paint.

We can do something similar with Lahkin taking the Jokic role as the focal point, Aziz/Ody rim running like Gordon, Simas and Fredricks mostly shooting threes on the wings, and our PGs driving the lane. Skillings could be a more versatile Porter type wing who can slash.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:21 AM   #218
Bearcat_Z

Bearcat_Z is on a distinguished road
On the coaching staff front, UC has hired Josh Loeffler as an assistant coach. Mike Roberts won’t return as his contract expired.
Bearcat_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:28 PM   #219
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I'm glad to see some shake up happening on the coaching staff. Wondering what happened specifically, as Roberts was one of Miller's guys at Greensboro. Hopefully this is a positive change. This new guy was a head coach at John Hopkins of all places. Won't be the same type of game plans as in the Big 12, but hopefully he has some development and management skills.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:55 AM   #220
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Hopefully getting a commitment from Tyler McKinley this week. Would be good progress.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote