Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #1371
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Not sure how they judge tempo, but you'd think we could improve 100 spots by simply jogging instead of walking the ball as slow as possible up the court.
It's by # of possessions per game.

UC had about 63 possessions per game. Yes, we take a long time per possession (average length of each offensive possession is around 18.7 seconds), but by playing such great defense we don't let teams get shots up quick. Our average defensive possession length is 18.1 seconds.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #1372
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post

UC had about 63 possessions per game. Yes, we take a long time per possession (average length of each offensive possession is around 18.7 seconds), but by playing such great defense we don't let teams get shots up quick. Our average defensive possession length is 18.1 seconds.
I can buy the defense angle to an extent. But our offense does take longer to shoot than our Top 10 defense holds opponents from shooting. We do shoot a better % than our opponents, so that's good. But I just can't help but think a slight bump would help us grab a few more easy looks.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #1373
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I can buy the defense angle to an extent. But our offense does take longer to shoot than our Top 10 defense holds opponents from shooting. We do shoot a better % than our opponents, so that's good. But I just can't help but think a slight bump would help us grab a few more easy looks.
It seems like something as simple as getting in to the offense earlier would solve a lot of issues. If you are starting the play with 25 seconds on the clock, opposed to 15 seconds, you have more time to get a good shot. I know this topic has been beat to death but it does seem like something we could easily do to help the offense
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #1374
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post

Something to consider is that UC almost always played with a significant lead at the end of games. So in the last 5-8 minutes, the offense was purposefully taking longer.
NKY Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #1375
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Part of the reason for UC's low tempo average, is that a normal UC possesion takes about 8 seconds to get into frontcourt when the ball is slow-walked up the court. I suspect that will increase with Broome running the show next year.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #1376
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Part of the reason for UC's low tempo average, is that a normal UC possesion takes about 8 seconds to get into frontcourt when the ball is slow-walked up the court. I suspect that will increase with Broome running the show next year.
Yeah, gonna be a lot different. It's like getting rid of your pocket passer and getting a dual threat quarter back.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #1377
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Rumor has it John Thompson II is out at Georgetown
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #1378
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Rumor has it John Thompson II is out at Georgetown
About 10 years too late if you ask me. It seemed like we killed G-towns everytime we played them in the big east. Even when we didn't have any players
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #1379
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Yeah, gonna be a lot different. It's like getting rid of your pocket passer and getting a dual threat quarter back.
Which, BTW, the FB team might be doing this fall
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #1380
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
another one leaving Virginia. Darius Thompson announced today hes transfering
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote