Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2023, 05:38 PM   #41
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Princeton showing what you can do with backcourt size but limited frontcourt size. They're switching everything, contesting every shot, and every player can rebound. Holding a top 10 offense to 14 points in 13 minutes so far.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:20 PM   #42
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Princeton showing what you can do with backcourt size but limited frontcourt size. They're switching everything, contesting every shot, and every player can rebound. Holding a top 10 offense to 14 points in 13 minutes so far.
They really pass the ball around too in a way I wish more teams did.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:32 PM   #43
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
They really pass the ball around too in a way I wish more teams did.
Yeah, they are picking apart the zone. I don't know why Missouri played so much of it. Their man defense looked much better, at least against this team.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:07 PM   #44
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
FDU showed what you can do with small but athletic guards. They run out 5'8 and 5'9 guards, but they combined for 10 rebounds against Purdue and were able to harass Edey and then recover. They had 4 steals and even a block. I'm hoping Thomas and James can provide some of that next year. They're both small but very athletic, which is something we haven't had at the guard spots in recent years.

I think one reason FDU was able to shock Purdue is they trusted the scouting report and took risks to force Purdue out of their comfort zone. They sped them up with full court traps, harassed Edey constantly, and dared Purdue's guards to shoot the three. I didn't see any other team simply not go within 10 feet of Purdue's guards this season, completely abandoning perimeter defense at times. But it's smart - Purdue only shoots 32% from three so they are getting less than a point per possession out of that shot.

We see that a lot in March. During the season, teams are focused on bettering themselves, and aren't going to reinvent their style for one game. But in the tournament, underdogs especially will do whatever it takes to beat their specific opponent. Good teams will face a strategy they haven't seen at all. That's what happed to us against Nevada. Nobody had shown us a half court double all year, and we didn't know what to do with it.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:31 AM   #45
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Colorado are 4.5-point favorites ahead of tonight's home match-up against Utah Valley. The winner hosts UC on either Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

The Buffs lost 1 starter (J'Vonne Hadley) and 1 rotation player (Javon Ruffin) to injury over the past month. Their 2nd leading scorer 6'2 KJ Simpson (15.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.8 apg) has also missed the past 4 games with mono. It doesn't appear as if he'll be well enough to return tonight.

Utah Valley is coming off a very impressive 83-69 win at New Mexico (KenPom #66).

I suspect Colorado may be the better match-up for us if Simpson continues to be out.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:36 AM   #46
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Xavier always seems to get favorable draws in the tourney. This year they got the lowest Kenpom ranked 6, 11, and 14 seeds in their pod.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:49 AM   #47
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Colorado are 4.5-point favorites ahead of tonight's home match-up against Utah Valley. The winner hosts UC on either Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

The Buffs lost 1 starter (J'Vonne Hadley) and 1 rotation player (Javon Ruffin) to injury over the past month. Their 2nd leading scorer 6'2 KJ Simpson (15.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.8 apg) has also missed the past 4 games with mono. It doesn't appear as if he'll be well enough to return tonight.

Utah Valley is coming off a very impressive 83-69 win at New Mexico (KenPom #66).

I suspect Colorado may be the better match-up for us if Simpson continues to be out.
Utah Valley is really good, that defense is no joke. The WAC isn't a bad conference - it's comparable to the AAC minus Houston and Memphis, lots of teams ranked around 100-150 and a couple top 75. They went 15-3, with one loss in a game with 50 fouls and their only home loss of the year to Seattle who made 12 threes. They also played a tough OOC schedule going on the road to Utah St, Wake Forest, Boise St, BYU, and Oregon - winning 2 of them.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:18 PM   #48
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Utah Valley and Colorado are tied at 38 at halftime.

Pretty entertaining back-and-forth game. Neither team has had an issue creating open shots. First foul wasn't called until the 7:34 mark.

Colorado's best player, Da Silva, has been a nonfactor with only 2 points. Their 7 footer has 11 though and looks like he could give Vik a game. Standout player for Utah Valley has been Woodbury, a Jimmer Fredette type, who has 10, 3 and 3.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:36 AM   #49
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Utah Valley dominated the 2nd half and went on to win 81-69. Colorado couldn't make a jump shot to save their lives.

Woodbury was an absolute baller for UV. He finished with 25, 7, and 7 on 11-15 shooting. UV has another good-looking guard in Harmon who had 18 and an athletic 7-footer Bandaogo who had 12, 7, and 2 blocks.

Bearcats face Utah Valley at 9 pm on Wednesday.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:43 PM   #50
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
If anybody on BCJ or Twitter with Chad. Tell him his wife and family most definitely in my prayers sincerely. We haven't seen eye to eye debating sports but this bigger than anything we could imagine. I've been TEAM KELLY since I first heard of her situation. I truly hate you have go threw this and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Stay strong Chad and Bearcat NATION! Team Kelly for LIFE!

BULLDOG OUT!
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote