Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:26 AM   #22
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Why would Tari do that ?
He's one loss away from the likely end of his college career. I assume he was just being nostalgic.

He's projected to be a borderline lottery pick in 2022 NBA Draft.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:40 AM   #23
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
He's one loss away from the likely end of his college career. I assume he was just being nostalgic.

He's projected to be a borderline lottery pick in 2022 NBA Draft.
Ah, gotcha. Didn’t realize he was playing that well.
Saw a few games early to mid season but none
since.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #24
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Viktor Lakhin will stay in Clifton next season per his (very heartfelt) Instagram post/poem.

First piece of great news this offseason.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:43 AM   #25
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
How's the portal looking? We need talent added.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #26
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
A little while back (few days to a week) Wes was on the radio with Mo Egger and said he expects a couple spots to open up and hopefully no more. Mason transferring was one of those spots, which mean one more spot is probably going to open up.

I'm assuming that spot is going to be DDJ or Saunders. It could also be MAW, but I doubt it. Saunders is probably waiting for DDJ to decide.

We seem to be looking for an veteran upgrade at PG/SG. But again, the exact player type we want in a guy likely hinges on if DDJ or Saunders is the guy who transfers. The other position we are looking at is C/PF, but that is probably going to be a younger guy who isn't guaranteed minutes.

I'm guessing we have a little while more to wait. The highest rated players (our top choices) are probably waiting to see if teams currently in the NCAA tournament want them and what the situation would be at other places. We aren't going to be all that appealing to a lot of top players given that we are still in the American and don't look like a lock for the NCAA tournament next year. It will be a matter of finding a player we like who also wants to come here and my guess is that will take a little while.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #27
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
A little while back (few days to a week) Wes was on the radio with Mo Egger and said he expects a couple spots to open up and hopefully no more. Mason transferring was one of those spots, which mean one more spot is probably going to open up.

I'm assuming that spot is going to be DDJ or Saunders. It could also be MAW, but I doubt it. Saunders is probably waiting for DDJ to decide.

We seem to be looking for an veteran upgrade at PG/SG. But again, the exact player type we want in a guy likely hinges on if DDJ or Saunders is the guy who transfers. The other position we are looking at is C/PF, but that is probably going to be a younger guy who isn't guaranteed minutes.

I'm guessing we have a little while more to wait. The highest rated players (our top choices) are probably waiting to see if teams currently in the NCAA tournament want them and what the situation would be at other places. We aren't going to be all that appealing to a lot of top players given that we are still in the American and don't look like a lock for the NCAA tournament next year. It will be a matter of finding a player we like who also wants to come here and my guess is that will take a little while.
This is my biggest concern about finding an upgrade - especially in the frontcourt.

Koval/Ado graduating frees up ~30 minutes of playing time/game at the 5 spot but you'd expect for a good chunk of that to be allotted to returning players (Lakhin & Ody in particular).

With so little PT to guarantee, I'm not sure if we can even attract a player of Ado's pedigree over this coming offseason.

We're likely looking at a player like Koval again who is coming from a much lower level of competition and is only strong in a few areas (blocking shots & not turning the ball over) and is mediocre-to-average everywhere else.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #28
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Assuming DDJ leaves, we're currently 2 deep at every position, but we're also not great at any position. So while playing time might not be an easy sell, any good player can provide an upgrade.

I have no idea what to expect from the portal this year. I'd say every position, experience, and skill level are possibilities.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #29
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Saunders has entered the transfer portal, most likely means DDJ is staying.

I don't expect any more movement of players into the portal at this point. I also don't expect an upgrade at C/PF, I think Wes is happy with Ody/Lakhin and will be looking for a younger player to compete with them, but who could easily end up spending a lot of time on the bench and be a backup in case of injury.

I do expect us to go hard after a 1 to 2 year star transfer PG. I think DDJ, the transfer and MAW will average pretty much equal minutes as we run a 3 guard rotation. Whether or not we can get a star transfer is another matter, as I've said we don't seem to be in a great position to entice a top transfer.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #30
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Miginiss?
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote