Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #421
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
There are very few players in the transfer portal who fit that mold and the few who are definitely good enough to help us like Seth Towns, Landers Nolley, and Jordan Bruner aren't giving us a sniff.

We are recruiting Isaiah White from Utah Valley who is a 6'7 wing that can reliably score and rebound, but I'm not sure how attractive of an option we are for an LA kid who's also getting looks from USC and Arizona.
This. People act like we can just go out and get a skilled big like there are a bunch to pick from. Love to know who these people want us to get.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #422
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here is how I see our front court minutes at the moment:

Vogt: 25-30 min/game (starts)
Diarra: 20-25 min/game (starts)
Eason: 15-20 min/game (starts the year on the bench, could become a starter if he proves he can play at a "Gary Clark" freshman level)
Graduate Transfer: 15 min/game (2nd big off the bench, sees extended time in blow-outs and foul trouble situations)

Vogt is a pretty safe bet based on what we saw this year. I'd imagine the grad transfer is going to be a no-frills, what-you-see-is-what-you-get type player as well.

Diarra and Eason are the two biggest wild cards.
I agree in theory, I think the issue here is getting a grad transfer who is willing to be the 4th big. They often want assurance they are going to be a key player, albeit not always starting.

If you're in on a guy like Marfo, Tape, Cole, etc, I think they're only coming to get 18 minutes or more.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #423
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here is how I see our front court minutes at the moment:

Vogt: 25-30 min/game (starts)
Diarra: 20-25 min/game (starts)
Eason: 15-20 min/game (starts the year on the bench, could become a starter if he proves he can play at a "Gary Clark" freshman level)
Graduate Transfer: 15 min/game (2nd big off the bench, sees extended time in blow-outs and foul trouble situations)

Vogt is a pretty safe bet based on what we saw this year. I'd imagine the grad transfer is going to be a no-frills, what-you-see-is-what-you-get type player as well.

Diarra and Eason are the two biggest wild cards.
What did Vogt prove this year? That he's a poor defender, poor rebounder and can't deal with a double team? He needs to show significant improvement or he should be a bench guy. Scott was able to mostly cover up for us having a center who can't rebound, but next season we need a center who can rebound.

Diarra already started taking Vogt's minutes late in the year and assuming he continues to progress, I could see him starting at center over Vogt. Then play smaller and use Vogt as a 10-15 minute change of pace guy.

A grad transfer SF/PF/C could earn starting minutes at PF or C over Vogt, with Diarra starting at the other position.

My predictions.
Diarra 25-30 minutes (starts).
Vogt 15-20 minutes.
Eason 10-15 minutes.
Grad Transfer or Small ball PF 20-25 minutes.

Last edited by skyblade; 03-27-2020 at 09:43 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #424
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
I agree in theory, I think the issue here is getting a grad transfer who is willing to be the 4th big. They often want assurance they are going to be a key player, albeit not always starting.

If you're in on a guy like Marfo, Tape, Cole, etc, I think they're only coming to get 18 minutes or more.
I agree as well that we're not going to get a decent grad transfer by pitching a role as a 4th big.

I'm assuming the coaching staff is telling players that we have an opening at our starting 4 position (and a need at back-up 5) and they would have to compete with Diarra and Eason for minutes.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #425
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
On another note, NKU's Jalen Tate has officially entered the transfer portal.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #426
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
What did Vogt prove this year? That he's a poor defender, poor rebounder and can't deal with a double team? He needs to show significant improvement or he should be a bench guy. Scott was able to mostly cover up for us having a center who can't rebound, but next season we need a center who can rebound.

Diarra already started taking Vogt's minutes late in the year and assuming he continues to progress, I could see him starting at center over Vogt. Then play smaller and use Vogt as a 10-15 minute change of pace guy.

A grad transfer SF/PF/C could earn starting minutes at PF or C over Vogt, with Diarra starting at the other position.

My predictions.
Diarra 25-30 minutes (starts).
Vogt 15-20 minutes.
Eason 10-15 minutes.
Grad Transfer or Small ball PF 20-25 minutes.
Are we still bashing Vogt? Give it a rest man. I agree, we hope we can get better than Vogt and someone can take his minutes but the dude has a solid year. Give it a rest.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #427
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
I agree as well that we're not going to get a decent grad transfer by pitching a role as a 4th big.

I'm assuming the coaching staff is telling players that we have an opening at our starting 4 position (and a need at back-up 5) and they would have to compete with Diarra and Eason for minutes.
I think coaching staff is telling guys that pretty much every position is open. The only guy on the roster who is a proven starter is Keith. I'd say Diarra is the 2nd most likely starter on the roster.

Diarra starting at the 5 and playing a lot of small ball is quite possible if we don't add a big. Another big could come in and start at the 4 or 5.

Pretty much every position is open. Sure Vogt started last year, but he was at best an average center (and I'd argue below average). Diarra was coming on at the end of the year and quite possibly would have taken Vogt's starting role (or at least played more minutes) if we'd had tournies, but he lacked consistency. MAW was solid, but not spectacular and also not very consistent. Davenport was injured, Harvey was coming on at the end of the year but hadn't proven anything, Prince is an unknown and may not even be able to play.

There are potential starting roles all over the court for us.

Last edited by skyblade; 03-27-2020 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #428
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Are we still bashing Vogt? Give it a rest man. I agree, we hope we can get better than Vogt and someone can take his minutes but the dude has a solid year. Give it a rest.
He had a solid first half of the season. In conference play he generally wasn't a major offensive threat and teams regularly attacked his poor defense. He was also very bad at rebounding.

We are talking about next years team, Vogt did not show he should be playing 25-30 minutes next year. Nobody else did either (besides Keith and possibly Diarra - if you judge only by the last few games), but nobody is predicting the other guys will be getting 25-30 minutes and be a starter.

I'm okay with Vogt being a 15-20 minute change of pace bench guy. But if he is starting and averaging 25-30 minutes he needs to make big off-season improvements at defense and rebounding and I doubt he can.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #429
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
He had a solid first half of the season. In conference play he generally wasn't a major offensive threat and teams regularly attacked his poor defense. He was also very bad at rebounding.

We are talking about next years team, Vogt did not show he should be playing 25-30 minutes next year. Nobody else did either (besides Keith and possibly Diarra - if you judge only by the last few games), but nobody is predicting the other guys will be getting 25-30 minutes and be a starter.

I'm okay with Vogt being a 15-20 minute change of pace bench guy. But if he is starting and averaging 25-30 minutes he needs to make big off-season improvements at defense and rebounding and I doubt he can.
I know we have went over this a 100 times but what did diarra prove? I hope he is great but he was bad more than he was good. There is no debate there. None. He finished the year strong and I hope it continues, but let’s not act like he was good all year. He was unplayable for 2/3 of the season. Vogt was unplayable the last month. They both have issues. Diarra has a much higher ceiling but let’s not act like one is great and the other is terrible: they both have issues. Hopefully they can fix them in the future. I think they can
Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #430
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I know we have went over this a 100 times but what did diarra prove? I hope he is great but he was bad more than he was good. There is no debate there. None. He finished the year strong and I hope it continues, but let’s not act like he was good all year. He was unplayable for 2/3 of the season. Vogt was unplayable the last month. They both have issues. Diarra has a much higher ceiling but let’s not act like one is great and the other is terrible: they both have issues. Hopefully they can fix them in the future. I think they can
Clearly they both have issues.

But PERSONALLY believe vogt’s issues are much tougher for him to change. He isn’t suddenly going to be quick footed and athletic. Can he improve marginally? Absolutely

To me Diarra biggest obstacle has always been his lack of experience and hasn’t developed a foundation of good basketball IQ. I think he played basketball with out shoes most of his life.

Usually Mick redshirted players because he saw some long term potential in them and knew they needed more time to develop. Diarra just finished his redshirt Soph year. This past season alone Vogt played nearly double the total minutes than Diarra played in 2 combined seasons.

Diarra’s has length, athleticism, a developing jumper, a developing defensive IQ and so on.

All that said, likely we will see Diarra play the 4 and Vogt the 5. We don’t really have a lot of choices. I doubt Eason is going to be gary Clark level good his first year, so the dou vs Vogt debate will be put to bed considering they both will play a lot together.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote