Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
USF

Not a whole lot of must wins this early In basketball.

But I’d say a clean sweep of this weeks games is a must. Have to beat USF and have to beat Georgia.

We are favored to win both

USF

60th in KP
162 in offense
60 in defense

They defend the 3 extremely well and we shoot the 3 worse than most teams in the country.

Alesis Yetna is under utilized thus far but if he wants to light us up he is more than capable and David Collins / Caleb Murphy will need to be contained without fouling.

I think it’s an another game that goes down to the wire. And that’s concerning.

In fact I don’t see a game on the schedule that this team is capable of blowing out. We may not have another 10 point win the rest of the way.

25% from 3 as team is about as bad as you can get. You’d hope this number does not hold as it would be the worst 3pt shooting team in the Kenpom era dating back to 1997 from Uc

Only one cincinnati teams in that span has shot under 30% and that team is still 4% better than this team.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Not a whole lot of must wins this early In basketball.

But I’d say a clean sweep of this weeks games is a must. Have to beat USF and have to beat Georgia.

We are favored to win both

USF

60th in KP
162 in offense
60 in defense

They defend the 3 extremely well and we shoot the 3 worse than most teams in the country.

Alesis Yetna is under utilized thus far but if he wants to light us up he is more than capable and David Collins / Caleb Murphy will need to be contained without fouling.

I think it’s an another game that goes down to the wire. And that’s concerning.

In fact I don’t see a game on the schedule that this team is capable of blowing out. We may not have another 10 point win the rest of the way.

25% from 3 as team is about as bad as you can get. You’d hope this number does not hold as it would be the worst 3pt shooting team in the Kenpom era dating back to 1997 from Uc

Only one cincinnati teams in that span has shot under 30% and that team is still 4% better than this team.
I would say you are a little to early on the 10 pt margin all year thing. As well I don't see any way we maintain the 25% number from 3. Most teams will probably sag on us to cut off the drives. We just need to utilize the kickout more often to open guys. We have seen way too many players trying to get/make their own 3's so far and or bombing from outside of our range. We can't settle for the early 3 from way beyond the arc...we should be able to get those late in clock pretty easy.

UC by 11 LOL!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
As often as we can I hope we can keep these guys in for about 30 minutes or so

Vogt
Eason
Williams
Dejulius

Then find a hot shooter and keep them in the game. So far that has been Davenport.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
As often as we can I hope we can keep these guys in for about 30 minutes or so

Vogt
Eason
Williams
Dejulius

Then find a hot shooter and keep them in the game. So far that has been Davenport.
USF scares me, they are a big, tough, physical team and have a history of getting into rock fights with us. Michael Durr is 7-0 250 lbs, they've got a couple of other 250+ guys on the team. They are one of very few teams we will face who are bigger than us.

Vogt tends to struggle with physicality, Rap seems to struggle with everything, Eason is unknown, but hopefully practicing against Vogt helps him out.

At PF they have Yetna, who was was projected to be one of the top players in the American last year before his injury. Eason is going to have his work cut out for him and if Eason gets in foul trouble, Davenport is likely going to really struggle with Yetna's size.

At guard David Collins is one of those quick guards that always gives us fits.

They are also a upperclassman heavy team, which may be to their benefit.

I think this will be a nail biter, could go either way. Need Vogt, Eason and Keith to stay out of foul trouble.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #5
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
On paper, USF looks like a really tough team. FWIW though, their KP is 105, not 60.

They return 7 lettermen including 3.5 starters from last year's team, re-added an NBA-caliber talent in Yetna, along with a top 100 recruit in Caleb Murphy, and a couple high-major transfer bigs who come off the bench.

So far they've been pretty predictable with their performances.

They've decisively beaten the KP 200+ teams on their schedule (Stetson and FGCU).

They've decisively lost to the KP top 100 teams they've played (Rhode Island and Va. Tech).

And then they barely beat a KP 135 Wofford team.

We went on a 36-11 2nd half run to beat them in Tampa for our penultimate game of the year last season.

If Keith and Vogt can stay on the court then I like us to win comfortably. If not, then we're looking at a rock fight.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
On paper, USF looks like a really tough team. FWIW though, their KP is 105, not 60.

They return 7 lettermen including 3.5 starters from last year's team, re-added an NBA-caliber talent in Yetna, along with a top 100 recruit in Caleb Murphy, and a couple high-major transfer bigs who come off the bench.

So far they've been pretty predictable with their performances.

They've decisively beaten the KP 200+ teams on their schedule (Stetson and FGCU).

They've decisively lost to the KP top 100 teams they've played (Rhode Island and Va. Tech).

And then they barely beat a KP 135 Wofford team.

We went on a 36-11 2nd half run to beat them in Tampa for our penultimate game of the year last season.

If Keith and Vogt can stay on the court then I like us to win comfortably. If not, then we're looking at a rock fight.
Snap Good Catch.

I listed their defense twice
Old 12-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #7
justinhub2003
Epic Member

This is the worst defensive Team in my life time as a fan.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I’m ready to give the new guys the minutes. At least they are exciting.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
skyblade
Epic Member

USF isn't doubling Vogt, Vogt is really good inside when he can just play 1v1.

USF is dominating us on the boards, Brannen is starting to realize that nobody on this team plays defense or rebounds.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #10
skyblade
Epic Member

Less then halfway through the first and Keith picks up his second foul.