Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
UCF

On to the next one.

Only thing to do from here is get better.

Kenpom has us losing 70-69

UCF:
94th in KP
130th in offense
73rd in defense

Coming off a big double digit win against ranked Florida State

has played 3 tough games and won 2 of them.

Not even worth analyzing. Just win and stop the bleeding.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Time to sit back and hope for some progression out of our sophs and frosh.

I would think Brannen has to be thinking about playing more zone from here on out so he can get Madsen in the game. Mason as well whenever he is ready and Lakhin too.

Sit every player who ain't playing hard on D.

Also, there were a number of times in the GA game where we got out on the break and we just pull up to often IMO. Even if they have us outnumbered I think we should continue right into the lane and either make a play or look for the trailers. They can't get set on D if they are running toward their own basket. Take advantage of our speed on every break. We aren't looking so hot in the half court...but I suppose had we been shooting better all year it would be okay.

In order to move the ball in half court we need to pass more and cut some dribbling down until we can handle a good defense.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Uc is on pace for its worst 3 point shooting % in over 25 years.

Gabe gonna have to play if he can shoot
Old 12-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I expect to miss the first half due to work. Not sure why they decided on a 4pm start time, I've had to rush a bit just to see the start of the 5 pm start time games.

Kenpom is still pretty meaningless this early in the year.

UCF is on the small side - but so was Georgia - expect them to try to push the pace, especially if Vogt/Rap are in the game. They shoot it quite well from three, which is going to force our defense to extend more than usual and open up even more/bigger driving lanes.

We need to do a lot different than we did last game, or we will see a similar result. Guess we will have to see what happens. I'm not expecting a win, but anything can happen.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Uc is on pace for its worst 3 point shooting % in over 25 years.

Gabe gonna have to play if he can shoot
I just don't understand the shooting right now. Most are better than their numbers show. I still think we are shooting too much off the dribble rather than set shot assists. We have also relied on too many long balls. Get in the lane and kick it out to a shooter on the line or pass the ball faster on the perimeter. If we are going to try the hero shots...it's gotta be done by a volume shooter. Last year we had both Cumberlands who could make shots on the move with some consistency. This team is not showing that...but have hope for Gabe if he can get in the game

Keith, David, Mika, Zach, Rap and Mikey can all shoot better than they are. I just don't think we are getting the right shots.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
4 o'clock tip is rather dumb. What dumb channel is this on?
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
4 o'clock tip is rather dumb. What dumb channel is this on?
No channel.

ESPN+

Another perc of this Amazing league were in
Old 12-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
4 pm game is just dumb. But at this point just win. Serious question though, has any player actually impressed you? Like on a game to game basis not by one significent play they had. MAW and ZH had great first games and now they are basically just 2 guys on the court. Rap flat out sucks, Vogt has no business here and was and still is nothing more than a band aid. Eason show's flashes of how great he can be and then he shows dumb silly mistakes, in reality Tari probably doesn't start or possibly see a ton minutes on a top 25 team. Keith cant stay on the court, Saunders was supposed to be this "super fast" point guard that could run Brannen's high powered high scoring offense, yet to see that. Haven't seen enough of the Madsen twins to say anything. As for Ivan Drago on the bench, I doubt he is anything special. Davenport plays so hard and I love that, but I think at times he try's way to hard with the ball in his hands which leads to dumb Mistakes. DJ i think has the possibility to be very good, but time will tell. As for JB i dont really want to say much because we are in a covid season and are only 6 games into a very weird season, but damn its becoming more and more apparent how much Jarron and Tre saved his butt last year. This is a very impatient fan base and even in a "rebuilding" year we need to see the fruits of the labor, guys improving.... that is just not happening, that Georgia game looked like no one gave af.

Last edited by cincyalum2014; 12-21-2020 at 02:56 PM.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
4 pm game is just dumb. But at this point just win. Serious question though, has any player actually impressed you? Like on a game to game basis not by one significent play they had. MAW and ZH had great first games and now they are basically just 2 guys on the court. Rap flat out sucks, Vogt has no business here and was and still is nothing more than a bad aid. Eason show's flashes of how great he can be and then he shows dumb silly mistakes, in reality Tari probably doesn't start or possibly see a ton minutes on a top 25 team. Keith cant stay on the court, MAW was supposed to be this "super fast" point guard that could run Brannen's high powered high scoring offense, yet to see that. Haven't seen enough of the Madsen twins to say anything. As for Ivan Drago on the bench, I doubt he is anything special. Davenport plays so hard and I love that, but I think at times he try's way to hard with the ball in his hands which leads to dumb Mistakes. DJ i think has the possibility to be very good, but time will tell. As for JB i dont really want to say much because we are in a covid season and are only 6 games into a very weird season, but damn its becoming more and more apparent how much Jarron and Tre saved his butt last year. This is a very impatient fan base and even in a "rebuilding" year we need to see the fruits of the labor, guys improving.... that is just not happening, that Georgia game looked like no one gave af.
There is a lot to be depressed about that's for sure. But I will take a shot here from an optimistic standpoint. I was not expecting Tari to have as much talent as he does. I thought there was too much hype about his game. Once he is allowed to make plays...as he learns the pace...he's going to be more fun to watch than he has been already. Davenport continues to impress over and above anything I dreamed out of him for this year. Saunders I was expecting to not get hardly any minutes. Outside of the mistakes I think he's going to be better than solid in years to come. He's also learning the pace.

Williams and DD both have had impressive games. DD against TN becoming a play maker when he had to. And Williams against Furman. There is potential but it hasn't been consistent at all. DD is about even with my expectations and Williams not yet meeting them.

I was expecting a lot more out of Rap and Vogt. I was wrong. I was expecting a lot more out of Harvey. I was expecting more out of Brannen. I thought we would see some decent shooting and see his style start to develop. Still think a super smart dude like Brannen will adapt his plan and make improvements if not this year then he will get ready for next. Either way with another loss or two early and we will have to get the frosh in there a lot to prepare them.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I think this team has taken on the emotion and energy of its leader.

Which is low energy and too damn calm.

I agree with the cincy slangin podcast, I suggest a listen at the 58 min mark. They nail it.

Soulless basketball is coming down from a soulless man on the sideline with no energy.