Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2023, 06:53 AM   #1
Queens_NYC
Epic Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,655
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Georgia Tech

Wednesday, November 22nd, 2023
7:00 PM
Fifth Third Arena
ESPN+

The Bearcats (4-0, KenPom #49) will have much to be thankful for when they welcome Georgia Tech (2-1, KenPom #136) to town on Thanksgiving Eve.

Both teams are expected to have big men make their 23/24 debuts in this game as 7'0 4th-year Utah Valley transfer Aziz Bandaogo will suit up for Cincinnati after being declared eligible on Monday and 6'9 Freshman Baye Ndongo will see his first action for Georgia Tech after missing the first three games of the season with a hand injury.

The Yellow Jackets are led by first-year head coach, and former NBA standout, Damon Stoudamire, who was hired by the program last March after serving as an assistant coach with the Boston Celtics.

Georgia Tech started the season with a convincing win against Georgia Southern (84-62) but has since struggled against Howard (88-85 win) and UMass-Lowell (74-71 loss) where they shot a combined 10-48 from 3 (20.8%).

Their shooting woes have been even more accentuated at the free throw line where they shoot 59.7% in spite of averaging nearly 26 attempts/game.

To their credit, they are a very strong offensive rebounding team that is averaging just over 18 boards game.

The Yellow Jackets' top players are 6'4 3rd-year guard Miles Kelly (21 ppg), 6'6 3rd-year guard Dallan Coleman (16 ppg, 56.3% from 3), and 6'8 4th-year forward Tyzhaun Claude (12.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg).

Georgia Tech was picked to finish 13th out of 15 in the ACC this season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 05:34 PM   #2
sirthought
Senior Member
 
sirthought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Down by river
Posts: 317
sirthought is on a distinguished road
Hopefully another good warmup leading into conference play. Shouldn't be too strong of competition, but a good chance to get guys working together and learning the offense.

I'm a bit confused about Skillings not starting. Is that over fears of fouling too early? It is no issue to come off the bench, I just wondered if there was a reason.

Aziz has three games to get ready for Xavier. No one his size on their team but plenty of height overall.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:11 PM   #3
sedziobs
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,395
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think Skillings coming off the bench is mostly a seniority thing. Newman, Simas, and Fredricks are all upperclassmen. He's second on the team in minutes though, so I'm not worried about it.

It will be interesting to see how minutes are distributed now with Aziz in the mix. Part of the reason Skillings has played so much is he's long enough for the 4, but he probably won't be needed there anymore unless Reed gets cut from the rotation.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:52 PM   #4
skyblade
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,790
skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think Skillings coming off the bench is mostly a seniority thing. Newman, Simas, and Fredricks are all upperclassmen. He's second on the team in minutes though, so I'm not worried about it.

It will be interesting to see how minutes are distributed now with Aziz in the mix. Part of the reason Skillings has played so much is he's long enough for the 4, but he probably won't be needed there anymore unless Reed gets cut from the rotation.
I expect Reed to be cut from the rotation and Skillings to get 10 to 15 minutes per game at the 4.

Newman, Simas and Fredrick have all played well too, it seems like someone is going to have minutes cut, but no one deserves to. Skillings is the most dynamic and has the highest ceiling of the group, but he's also the most mistake prone - which is probably why he isn't starting.

I'll be interested in how the rotations and different combinations work. Will Vik need to be paired with Newman for example (or not paired with Simas), to compensate if Vik struggles defending the 4?

The minutes at the 2/3 may be based on team needs rather than individual skill. How much will we play through the big men (which favors Fredrick and Simas as they can make good passes and spread the floor with shooting), or will we continue to attack off the drive (which favors Skillings/Newman)? I imagine Wes is going to be trying to figure those things out in the next couple games.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:30 AM   #5
Queens_NYC
Epic Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,655
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I expect Reed to be cut from the rotation and Skillings to get 10 to 15 minutes per game at the 4.

Newman, Simas and Fredrick have all played well too, it seems like someone is going to have minutes cut, but no one deserves to. Skillings is the most dynamic and has the highest ceiling of the group, but he's also the most mistake prone - which is probably why he isn't starting.

I'll be interested in how the rotations and different combinations work. Will Vik need to be paired with Newman for example (or not paired with Simas), to compensate if Vik struggles defending the 4?

The minutes at the 2/3 may be based on team needs rather than individual skill. How much will we play through the big men (which favors Fredrick and Simas as they can make good passes and spread the floor with shooting), or will we continue to attack off the drive (which favors Skillings/Newman)? I imagine Wes is going to be trying to figure those things out in the next couple games.
I'm particularly interested to see how Ody fits into the equation now.

We haven't developed much of a groove with him and Vik on the court together so far but that's probably a pairing that has more long-term potential than Ody/Aziz since Vik can more comfortably play the 4 on offense.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:30 AM   #6
Queens_NYC
Epic Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,655
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
-9.5
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:12 PM   #7
Queens_NYC
Epic Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,655
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Very little flow or rhythm to the game so far, but we've done well to maintain a lead.

We're somehow shooting 8/11 from inside the arc despite not getting many clear looks.

Bandaogo has been as good as advertised. He's making a huge impact on defense.

Hoping Skillings can find his groove.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:30 PM   #8
Queens_NYC
Epic Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,655
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
24-3 run to start the half. Playing at an elite level right now.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 04:57 PM   #9
sedziobs
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,395
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Vik's three point shooting and Aziz's rim protection are the things we need to elevate this team to the NCAA tournament. I am most surprised by Day Day. He has vastly exceeded my expectations as a Juco.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 06:58 PM   #10
Queens_NYC
Epic Member
 
Queens_NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,655
Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Vik's three point shooting and Aziz's rim protection are the things we need to elevate this team to the NCAA tournament. I am most surprised by Day Day. He has vastly exceeded my expectations as a Juco.
He's shooting 63.3% from inside the arc so far which is the highest percentage of any player not named Aziz which is fairly remarkable considering only Skillings has taken more 2-point shots.

I'm sure he'll take some lumps as the season goes on but he's shown great flashes as a 3-level scorer as well as a big time overall playmaker.

Wes did great to give him his first D1 offer.

Last edited by Queens_NYC; 11-23-2023 at 07:00 PM.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.