Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #711
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
He’s going to have some competition anywhere he goes. But yah...maybe there is less of it somewhere. This late in the game most teams should have a few bigs on the roster
Not even about the competition. More about How many guys do we need. Doesn’t make much sense from either side.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 05-03-2020 at 06:05 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #712
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Not even about the competition. More about How many guys do we need. Doesn’t make much sense from either side.
For me it's more about finding a younger big or a guy that can sit one and play 2 (which might be hard to do). We need bigs for the future...preferably someone who can defend the 5 and rebound.

Brannen has put together a very solid and versatile roster. The perfect fit for the last scholly is probably a future 5 or rim protector. That's if Williams comes back.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #713
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
For me it's more about finding a younger big or a guy that can sit one and play 2 (which might be hard to do). We need bigs for the future...preferably someone who can defend the 5 and rebound.

Brannen has put together a very solid and versatile roster. The perfect fit for the last scholly is probably a future 5 or rim protector. That's if Williams comes back.
Agree, if we can get a good talent that can sit a year, it’d be perfect. As for this year,, it’d be hard to add another guy
Old 05-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #714
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The only big guy who we have who knows the system pretty well and was consistent last year is Vogt. Diara now has a year under his belt in the system but has been inconsistent for his short career. Rap has experience but not under the system or in high major D1 BB. Eason is a frosh but talented.

I suppose playing time could still be sold for a transfer but it would be a tough sell and it could give the current roster the wrong message. In the end I think Brannen is looking for the best players he can get to play whether it's this year or next. He doesn't seem to think like Mick that he cannot recruit over existing players. If we do recruit over a player(s) and someone decides to transfer it seems like CJB can (and will) fill the voids with someone of equal or better value (at least so far). So far it seems to be addition by subtraction which is the best case scenario for UC and probably the transfers as well.

I'm gonna let Brannen work his magic and steer the ship right now. I have been pleasantly surprised. Not grand slams but we are getting some triples and doubles. I think Dejulius and Rap was a home run considering we probably got a top 10 transfer situation this year with them and they checked a lot of boxes we needed to check.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #715
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The only big guy who we have who knows the system pretty well and was consistent last year is Vogt. Diara now has a year under his belt in the system but has been inconsistent for his short career. Rap has experience but not under the system or in high major D1 BB. Eason is a frosh but talented.

I suppose playing time could still be sold for a transfer but it would be a tough sell and it could give the current roster the wrong message. In the end I think Brannen is looking for the best players he can get to play whether it's this year or next. He doesn't seem to think like Mick that he cannot recruit over existing players. If we do recruit over a player(s) and someone decides to transfer it seems like CJB can (and will) fill the voids with someone of equal or better value (at least so far). So far it seems to be addition by subtraction which is the best case scenario for UC and probably the transfers as well.

I'm gonna let Brannen work his magic and steer the ship right now. I have been pleasantly surprised. Not grand slams but we are getting some triples and doubles. I think Dejulius and Rap was a home run considering we probably got a top 10 transfer situation this year with them and they checked a lot of boxes we needed to check.
Not to mention we are not looking at wholesale defections like other programs are having to endure. Wichita had some big problems. It appears the roster likes Brannen for the most part so far. I suppose things could change as recruits start to see their future roles playing out. Prince is a unique exception this year.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #716
cincyguy13
Epic Member

With the Richmond home and home, we have to have one of, if not the hardest non conference schedule in the country. I love it. Not worried about chasing wins. Going for exposure for the program and challenges to get better.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #717
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With the Richmond home and home, we have to have one of, if not the hardest non conference schedule in the country. I love it. Not worried about chasing wins. Going for exposure for the program and challenges to get better.
I don’t think we’re done
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #718
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I don’t think we’re done
Should be a fun year ever if we aren’t great. Lot of big games to care about and lots of players to see grow. I hope they play the season. Even if it’s without fans.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #719
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I don’t think we’re done
Last season was 4 neutral, 2 away, 6 home.

This season so far is 2 neutral, 2 away, 3 home.

1 more away/neutral game and the rest will be buy games?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #720
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This...Exactly this. With Mick we played 1 MAYBE 2 tough non-conference games(not including xavier because they are always on the schedule). Noone, not even fans, really wanted to watch those games. So there is a 0% chance anyone other than fans are watching those games. Especially not any recruit(not commitments, but just 7th,8th,9th,10th,11th grade basketball players).

When you schedule big, you get put on the national stage. Your games become something ESPN wants to air. And then its something people want to watch. And then recruits want to watch. Its how you build the brand that we lost over the years.

This also shows recruits that you dont have to play in the SEC to play a tough schedule. Im so glad we are in the Brannen area now.

Also, im hearing the last spot on the schedule is going to an SEC team. going by the connections Brannen has Id say Bama?, but maybe he and his staff have connections with Crean or Martin.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote