Huskies win 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #101
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we called one yesterday but it didn't help. we couldn't get cumberland the ball and with jenifer/williams/scott/brooks out there we had no way to score without cumberland touching it.

why we went to post up scott and brooks ill never know. they haven't been successful doing it all season. we really got fortunate cane hit those 3's, it would have been an awful game to lose up 15 with 11:23 to go to that team without its best player. cronin really had a bad day.

also when we went with cane and jenifer it makes no sense to have jenifer on the ball and cane on the wing. cane is much better creating his own shot and jenifer is much better at catching and shooting. its very strange. when we finally ran a high pnr with cumberland bc of how they were guarding cumberland we used jenifer on the ball instead of cane. weird decisions.
I would agree there. I thought it would have been useful to have Brooks as an option for a couple more minutes late in the game. Also, I am not sure why we saw Brooks take a shot just inside the 3 line or why we continue to see Scott putting the ball on the ground (or even winding up with the ball) late in clocks. It's a turnover waiting to happen.

Time for Cronin to make those decisions easier for those two...and the team. Let them know when and where they can shoot the ball. Tell the guards to keep the ball if the clock is running out unless one of the bigs is open and in the right spot. Etc
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #102
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Brooks probably had the dumbest 5th foul I have ever seen in basketball. It was a blatant foul, he rushed right into the guy ( I guess he was trying for a jump ball) but good god the lack of awareness from him in that situation knowing that there is over five minutes left and your team needs you in to get rebounds and alter shots. Just a bone head mistake from a guy who is constantly in foul trouble and cant stay on the floor longer than 5 minutes without getting pulled. Luckily it didn't come back to bite us in the butt, but as an upper classman you have to know in that situation to just get back on defense IMO, I don't care if as Mick says "he is new to the situation of being a starter and dealing with being a key player instead of just a guy off the bench" he's still been in the system for 3 years and has started 27 games now.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #103
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
Nsoseme has literally not made a shot in the month of February, and is 4-12 from the field in conference play. When you consider he rarely attempts anything more than a couple of feet from the basket, that is rather amazing. I know he has had issues with his hand, but he has been one of the worst offensive players in the country this season. He can't make shots, can't pass (4 assists in 325 minutes!!), doesn't screen well, and is 15-48 in his career from the line. His energy is great, but you need more than just energy.

This was the first time Diarra has played 10+ minutes in a game decided by fewer than 20 points, but every time he has gotten minutes he has shown himself to be an effective scorer who can also get on the glass and block shots. He needs a lot of work on defense (he is still not strong enough), but these are his per 40-minute averages for the 6 games in which he has played at least 10 minutes:

17.8 points, 14 rebounds, 2.7 blocks, 46% shooting, 67% FT

Overall, he has been the best rebounder on the team on a per-minute basis, is as good a shot blocker as Eliel, and a legit offensive threat. I don't see any reason he can't start to seize backup center minutes.
I have been saying this Re: Eli for a while now. Not to pile on Eli but since returning after his sprained ankle he has 4 rebounds in 4 games and has 3 TO. Diarra does force some things but believe he should eat some of Eli's minutes.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #104
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I have been saying this Re: Eli for a while now. Not to pile on Eli but since returning after his sprained ankle he has 4 rebounds in 4 games and has 3 TO. Diarra does force some things but believe he should eat some of Eli's minutes.
Mama is very likable, but he has some of the worst hands I’ve seen. After a terrific stretch in the 1st half his second half was not great. You certainly can’t have Scott and mama in the floor together unless you want to turn the ball over on offense every other trip.

But that first half though...he can and will get better.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #105
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Brooks probably had the dumbest 5th foul I have ever seen in basketball. It was a blatant foul, he rushed right into the guy ( I guess he was trying for a jump ball) but good god the lack of awareness from him in that situation knowing that there is over five minutes left and your team needs you in to get rebounds and alter shots. Just a bone head mistake from a guy who is constantly in foul trouble and cant stay on the floor longer than 5 minutes without getting pulled. Luckily it didn't come back to bite us in the butt, but as an upper classman you have to know in that situation to just get back on defense IMO, I don't care if as Mick says "he is new to the situation of being a starter and dealing with being a key player instead of just a guy off the bench" he's still been in the system for 3 years and has started 27 games now.
Mick in post game called out the 3 fouls that were 90 feet from the basket as abnormal, but huge mistakes that they made. Said we never do that, doesn't know what happened to the guys who just made bad decisions. Repeated they weren't 'bang bang unlucky' fouls just silly mistakes.

Clearly rattled, and forcing things is the obvious reason to why they occurred.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #106
jtsladder@aol.com

jtsladder@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we called one yesterday but it didn't help. we couldn't get cumberland the ball and with jenifer/williams/scott/brooks out there we had no way to score without cumberland touching it.

why we went to post up scott and brooks ill never know. they haven't been successful doing it all season. we really got fortunate cane hit those 3's, it would have been an awful game to lose up 15 with 11:23 to go to that team without its best player. cronin really had a bad day.

also when we went with cane and jenifer it makes no sense to have jenifer on the ball and cane on the wing. cane is much better creating his own shot and jenifer is much better at catching and shooting. its very strange. when we finally ran a high pnr with cumberland bc of how they were guarding cumberland we used jenifer on the ball instead of cane. weird decisions.
Check out @SethOnHoops’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/SethOnHoops/status/1100035954298052609?s=01
jtsladder@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #107
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Mama is very likable, but he has some of the worst hands I’ve seen. After a terrific stretch in the 1st half his second half was not great. You certainly can’t have Scott and mama in the floor together unless you want to turn the ball over on offense every other trip.

Diarra has 2 TO this year in 94 minutes; Nsoseme has 10 in 325 minutes; Brooks 25 in 596 minutes. Diarra has the lowest turnover rate (TO per minutes played) of any player other than Sam Martin, who is turnover free in 12 minutes.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #108
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

My biggest complaint about Mama is he is not a very good screen and roll player on an offense that is predicated on off the ball screens. Now I know this is kind of knit picky but Tre and Nas are excellent off the ball screen and roll players. When I watch Mama he sets the screen but rolls before he actually makes contact for the screen so it doesn't really do anything to get anyone open because he is looking for the ball immediately whereas Tre and Nas know there job is to set screens to get the guards open.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #109
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
My biggest complaint about Mama is he is not a very good screen and roll player on an offense that is predicated on off the ball screens. Now I know this is kind of knit picky but Tre and Nas are excellent off the ball screen and roll players. When I watch Mama he sets the screen but rolls before he actually makes contact for the screen so it doesn't really do anything to get anyone open because he is looking for the ball immediately whereas Tre and Nas know there job is to set screens to get the guards open.
I’ll have to watch that more. I like the kid, he has great potential.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #110
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I’ll have to watch that more. I like the kid, he has great potential.

shaq thomas had great potential too. he was unable to turn his athletic ability into being a good basketball player. i think that tends to happen a lot with the great athlete guys that aren't really basketball players. i think diarra falls into that type of player.

hopefully he can get it all together by his jr and sr years. its tough on these guys to try to learn how to play basketball while they're in college while at the same time learning whatever system his team runs. you can see his potential, but you can also see how much he has to learn about the game.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote