Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-11-2019, 02:31 AM   #861
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
You know what cracks me up is the Mick haters accusing those of us who were smart enough to recognize just how good he was for the program of "settling for mediocrity" and comparing him to Marvin Lewis, but then turning around and swearing up and down that they'll "always support the program NO MATTER WHAT" (i.e. no matter how hard they just kicked themselves in the dick by letting Cronin walk, initiating a multi-year rebuild, and consigning themselves to the AAC cellar for the foreseeable future) just like... you know... a bunch of Bengals fans with Stockholm Syndrome.

Last edited by UCats329; 05-11-2019 at 02:34 AM.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #862
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCats329 View Post
First, you didn't actually make a point, you just spouted some inane, baseless nonsense about a team with 7 benchwarmers hypothetically being capable of winning a national championship.

Second, UC isn't likely to win a national championship again, EVER--certainly not in this college sports landscape--so why don't you reconnect with reality and just admit that you're a dumbass for ever thinking that trading Cronin, his 27+ wins a year, and the regular conference championships and annual tournament appearances for this dumpster fire was a good idea.
There was a point you, you obviously aren't smart enough to figure it out. And I never said trading them was a good idea. Please find that for me, oh wise one. Mick left, why don't your pouting out on him.

If they aren't ever likely to win a national championship then why are you over here crying like a little baby to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCats329 View Post
You know what cracks me up is the Mick haters accusing those of us who were smart enough to recognize just how good he was for the program of "settling for mediocrity" and comparing him to Marvin Lewis, but then turning around and swearing up and down that they'll "always support the program NO MATTER WHAT" (i.e. no matter how hard they just kicked themselves in the dick by letting Cronin walk, initiating a multi-year rebuild, and consigning themselves to the AAC cellar for the foreseeable future) just like... you know... a bunch of Bengals fans with Stockholm Syndrome.
Glad that cracks you up. Keep telling us the things in life that make you laugh. We are all here for you buddy. Which Cronin are you? Mick, Hep, or Dan?
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #863
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Jesus the only thing I hate more than this painful process are the insufferable mick ass kissers.

He left UC. He walked away on his own. Please go buy yourselves some Bruin blue and stay up late fantasizing about those 4 letters on the jersey just like our FORMER coach. Screw mick, he’s gone.
Getting a pay cut thrown at you is essentially a shove out the door...
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #864
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Back to the topic though. Todd should make a decision next week. Would be a huge get at this point. Would love Davenport as well, that could really stop the bleeding.

Let's go!
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #865
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Getting a pay cut thrown at you is essentially a shove out the door...
Where is there real evidence that he got a pay cut? The only thing I've really heard is they didn't want to provide all the years in the contract that Mick wanted.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #866
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
A name I saw floating around Twitter was Jayson Gee who was with Winthrop last year. No clue how valid that info is but....
It’s official now. I hope he’s got some irons in the fire
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #867
Cwebster19

Cwebster19 is on a distinguished road
I’ve always thought transferring after a coaching change turns into some type of strange cool/hip thing to do. None of it bothers or concerns me because that’s what always happens. I don’t know why anyone would be overly concerned anyway, the point is to change and improve not just repeat and repeat.
Cwebster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #868
UCats329

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
If they aren't ever likely to win a national championship then why are you over here crying like a little baby to begin with?
Because dumbass, I'm cognizant enough to recognize where UC slots (or at least slotted, before Mick was more or less pushed out the door and the program became a total dumpster fire in a little over four weeks) into the hierarchy of college sports, and to recognize a good thing when I saw it. Newsflash, dummy: UC isn't Duke or Kentucky, and in all likelihood they're not competing for a national championship most years. Realistically, a sweet sixteen or an elite eight every few years with an especially good team and a favorable draw was pretty much the ceiling. Yeah, they probably missed their best crack at it last year with the Nevada debacle, but they also won 90 games over the last three years and were *supposed* to have a really good team coming back next year so I got over it.

Tl;dr: unlike you and a clueless minority of UC fans, I realized a long, long time ago that UC isn't actually an elite program and that they're likely not ever going to be--certainly not until they're in a better conference and playing all their games on national TV instead of behind the ESPN+ streaming paywall--I tempered my expectations accordingly and enjoyed winning a ton of games, winning the conference, being in the tournament *
every single year* and having a CHANCE to make a run because to do that you have to actually make the tournament first.

You know what sucks though? Sitting through a bunch of rebuilds because of regular coaching changes, watching your team lose a bunch of games, and having your season end when you lose in the conference tournament. Already did it once at UC just ten years ago, have had to do it twice for my other alma mater (Indiana) over that same stretch. It's especially aggravating in this case: UC did this to themselves by pushing Cronin out because of they and their fans' unrealistic expectations.

If you can't wrap your head around all that, I can't help you.

Last edited by UCats329; 05-11-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #869
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
At one point do we start pointing the figure at Brannen. I get he’s a new coach, at a new program, but we see coaching changes all the time without this amount of exodus among players. This is what I feared, the job and expectations were maybe a little too much right off the bat. That’s not to say he can’t adjust to them and get better but as of now he’s not exactly endearing himself to the fan base.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #870
UCats329

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
At one point do we start pointing the figure at Brannen. I get he’s a new coach, at a new program, but we see coaching changes all the time without this amount of exodus among players. This is what I feared, the job and expectations were maybe a little too much right off the bat. That’s not to say he can’t adjust to them and get better but as of now he’s not exactly endearing himself to the fan base.
The lack of substantive action is really concerning--particularly the not having a coaching staff in place. Expecting him to recruit as good as or better than Cronin off the bat, however, would be unrealistic.

At the end of the day I still put his squarely on Bohn, Pinto, the BoT, and the boosters for not bending over backward to keep Cronin. A few dumb ham and eggers from Mt. Washington and Delhi can think UC is basically UK and thus Mick Cronin's "underperformance" in March should've been a fireable offense, or that UC could just switch coaches to take them to the (non-existent, for us at least) "next level", but the administration is supposedly getting paid to know better.

Last edited by UCats329; 05-11-2019 at 11:12 AM.