Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #191
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Not so much here, but definitely on the other forum. People complained we didn't offer enough 5-stars and we should be getting 4 and 5 stars.

I agree with your expectations. Recruiting a four star now and then and quite a few high-three stars. Plus some lower rated projects who can be developed into stars (especially at center as there are fewer ready now bigs). Pretty much what we've been doing under Mick, maybe a small improvement.

Brannen can be better here. I just don't think it will be on the recruiting end. It will be in player development and coaching. Specifically continuing to coach great D, but having a more efficient offense. Also being more flexible and finding ways to mold his scheme to the players. Even if he can maintain close to the level Mick had over the last 3 years, we will get lucky in the NCAA tournament eventually and that will make everyone happy.

But the next 1-2 years are going to be kind of ugly. Especially if JC doesn't return. Just the nature of coaching changes. Brannen's going to have to do a great coaching job, but it seems like he can (he was my clear favorite of the coaching candidates).
I don’t think we are far apart on expectations. Most people seem to be realistic about the program. The amount of wins is going to be hard to match. The league is getting much better. There are going to be 5-6 good teams in the league, where it has been 2 the last couple of years. I would like to play more high profile non conference games going forward. Better preseason tournaments. I think that can help exposure and recruiting. Mick didn’t seem to try to get in those. I know people will say they didn’t want us but there are some pretty bad teams in some of those tourements. We shall see if mick was telling the truth about that
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #192
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Your argument was that people said 5 stars and national championships. That isn’t true. Admit you made that up and we can move on.
Until then, I can’t trust anything you say.
It's the classic straw man tactic. Take a reasonable argument and then make it into something entirely different using hyperbole and exaggeration. Then you debate a non existing argument with yourself.

You can claim everyone was saying P5 coaches would run to UC head coach job offer. You can claim we should get nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits from here on out. You can claim this year we need to make a F4 or bust. Things like that.

You get the idea. It's disingenuous. But sometimes a rational argument is not easily supported so you have to create the straw man to create the divide.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #193
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's the classic straw man tactic. Take a reasonable argument and then make it into something entirely different using hyperbole and exaggeration. Then you debate a non existing argument with yourself.

You can claim everyone was saying P5 coaches would run to UC head coach job offer. You can claim we should get nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits from here on out. You can claim this year we need to make a F4 or bust. Things like that.

You get the idea. It's disingenuous. But sometimes a rational argument is not easily supported so you have to create the straw man to create the divide.
By you I don't mean you. You in this case means the posters who are creating the straw men and we know who they are.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #194
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
By you I don't mean you. You in this case means the posters who are creating the straw men and we know who they are.
Peoples minds create stories to fit the narrative they need to protect themselves.

In some cases, such as trauma, it can be a very necessary and protective tool but when it comes to basketball programs it makes you (the collective you of people doing what you're talking about) looks like idiots.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #195
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

My entire point is an exaggeration.

I have no beefs with Brannen personally. I'm mostly just responding to the guys who berated Cronin every time we lost a single game for the last 4 years or so. They made my forum experience not so fan with ridiculous takes, so I'm just returning the favor a bit.

And nothing I've said about Brannen has been untrue. I'm just stating facts around the the state of the program.

I mean we got people jumping for frickin joy because we signed Jeremiah Davenport. Which is hilarious too, considering he is an unranked prospect that Played an extra year in HS so that he could get more major offiers and those offers just didn't come.

I just have high expectations for this program and me being mad at the fact that a team I pay hundreds of dollars to watch every season, is now going to suck next year and most likely for forseeable future, is wrong. Its going to be 21-22 season before we make the tourney again unless he really kills it on the recruiting trail.

And there were people saying that because Memphis and UCONN get 5 star kids then UC should be getting them and berated Mick for not doing it.

I have zero Allegiance to Mick. I want him to turn around UCLA though and won't root against him. But other than that, I don't care about Mick Cronin anymore. He is no longer the coach. But I'm more upset with the fans who i had to hear meltdown on the 5 or 6 times a year we lost a game.

its also funny though that people are already starting to lowering the expectations for John.

To me... it seems like this fanbase would gladly trade 1 elite 8 even if it meant Missing the tourney 4 out of 5 years.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #196
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

I have no beefs with Brannen personally. I'm mostly just responding to the guys who berated Cronin every time we lost a single game for the last 4 years or so. They made my forum experience not so fan with ridiculous takes, so I'm just returning the favor a bit.

And nothing I've said about Brannen has been untrue. I'm just stating facts around the the state of the program.

I mean we got people jumping for frickin joy because we signed Jeremiah Davenport. Which is hilarious too, considering he is an unranked prospect that Played an extra year in HS so that he could get more major offiers and those offers just didn't come.

I just have high expectations for this program and me being mad at the fact that a team I pay hundreds of dollars to watch every season, is now going to suck next year and most likely for forseeable future, is wrong. Its going to be 21-22 season before we make the tourney again unless he really kills it on the recruiting trail.

And there were people saying that because Memphis and UCONN get 5 star kids then UC should be getting them and berated Mick for not doing it.

I have zero Allegiance to Mick. I want him to turn around UCLA though and won't root against him. But other than that, I don't care about Mick Cronin anymore. He is no longer the coach. But I'm more upset with the fans who i had to hear meltdown on the 5 or 6 times a year we lost a game.

its also funny though that people are already starting to lowering the expectations for John.

To me... it seems like this fanbase would gladly trade 1 elite 8 even if it meant Missing the tourney 4 out of 5 years.
You're deliberately choosing to be ignorant. You've ignored every report on Davenport, that are widely available btw, talking about the giant leap he made in the last year. And he did have an offer from VT. Is he a sure thing? Nope. But it's more about landing a guy with, by all reports, has a shit ton of potential this late in the year. You're determined to remain a sulky teen on the rag, and refuse to acknowledge anything positive that may force you out if that bitchy state. You're a moderator on this site that has been banned on 247 and are a laughing stock due to how you continue to handle yourself. You should be embarrassed. Do ******* better.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #197
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

You have zero allegiance to mick...except of course you’ll be rooting for him and want UCLA to win. You realize they play the same sport as the Bearcats right? Again you are a joke at this point. Berating a coach that has been here for 4 weeks.

Since you love Cronin so much and are so angry at those that wish Hugs hadn’t been run off...why don’t you take a look at their achievements over their UC careers. Spoiler alert - micks resume doesn’t stack up.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #198
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
You're deliberately choosing to be ignorant. You've ignored every report on Davenport, that are widely available btw, talking about the giant leap he made in the last year. And he did have an offer from VT. Is he a sure thing? Nope. But it's more about landing a guy with, by all reports, has a shit ton of potential this late in the year. You're determined to remain a sulky teen on the rag, and refuse to acknowledge anything positive that may force you out if that bitchy state. You're a moderator on this site that has been banned on 247 and are a laughing stock due to how you continue to handle yourself. You should be embarrassed. Do ******* better.
This and cincypaw could not be more spot on.

Justin, listen to everyone else who is telling you you're acting and looking like a ******* idiot child.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #199
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
How come no predicted National Championship? I mean what do we do this for. Me personally I expect brannnen to, I don't know... we got a kid from moller I haven't heard about until now and I live in Cincinnati. Well that's just great.. I hope Brannnen gets to a sweet 16 in the next 3 yrs but that's assuming we don't make the tournament in the next 2. And taking that into consideration we're probably gonna dud the next 3 recruiting classes in the AAC. So, I guess we're gonna just give this guy 5 yrs, 6 tops to make 1 tournament. Clearly I'm not too optimistic, hopefully Keith reaches his potential this yr, also think hardnett has ability guess we'll get to at least see his player development with current Cronin players but that's if they stay and play
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #200
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
You have zero allegiance to mick...except of course you’ll be rooting for him and want UCLA to win. You realize they play the same sport as the Bearcats right? Again you are a joke at this point. Berating a coach that has been here for 4 weeks.

Since you love Cronin so much and are so angry at those that wish Hugs hadn’t been run off...why don’t you take a look at their achievements over their UC careers. Spoiler alert - micks resume doesn’t stack up.
I still root for Huggins, (used to for) Andy Kennedy and will for Mick. Won't go out of my way to watch their teams for the most part, but if they are playing and I'm watching basketball, I will choose watching them over other teams. Former UC coaches doing well at their new program looks good for us.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote