Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #911
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I would imagine Bolton is going to apply for a waiver to play this year.
Yes, his Dad stated he is seeking a waiver. We’ll see...
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #912
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1518 View Post
Beilein leaving Michigan for Cavs....does this affect any potential interest from any recruiting prospects?
Good point. Cumberland’s cousin was down to Michigan and Oregon. Supposedly Michigan was the favorite so I wonder if he may turn his eye back to UC??
Old 05-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #913
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1518 View Post
Beilein leaving Michigan for Cavs....does this affect any potential interest from any recruiting prospects?
We have no chance at either of their current 2019 commits.

If we were to poach one of their current players, I'd think we'd have the best chance at one of their back-up point guards, David DeJulius or Eli Brooks.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #914
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
A note about Davenport. He doesn't have a long list of high major offers but this late in the game he checks off a lot of boxes from what I can see.

He is a local kid who dreamed of playing here. He seems like a hard working, coach-able, high character kid. We offered and he accepted on the spot. He's blown up a bit and apparently has also grown a bit. Glowing reviews from past coaches and fans who have watched. Trying hard to remember the worst thing I have heard about him...and the current staff seems to be all on board.

At worst he seems like a quality depth add if he ends up being nothing more. He is versatile enough to play wing or stretch 4. His handles look better than a Trevon Scott coming out of HS. Shooting form looks very solid. He can absolutely finish in the break with some hammer dunks. He can defend multiple spots...probably at least 2-4. He's got his education in check now.

For our first commit I like it on many levels. He seems excited as hell and we need guys like that to help Scott talk to other recruits. I think he will work his butt off and be a very solid contributor if not early then late. I don't really care too much about his stars right now or his offer list...this seemed like a no brainer for the staff.

Get Bolton now and we are headed in the right direction.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #915
bearcat1518

bearcat1518 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
We have no chance at either of their current 2019 commits.
Hence the word choice of prospects and not commits. Oakland grad transfer Cumberland comes to mind. He was looking hard at Michigan. So were a couple of other prospects we were looking at. Maybe this opens up a window of opportunity for CJB - who knows?
bearcat1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #916
TheRealUC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
A note about Davenport. He doesn't have a long list of high major offers but this late in the game he checks off a lot of boxes from what I can see.

He is a local kid who dreamed of playing here. He seems like a hard working, coach-able, high character kid. We offered and he accepted on the spot. He's blown up a bit and apparently has also grown a bit. Glowing reviews from past coaches and fans who have watched. Trying hard to remember the worst thing I have heard about him...and the current staff seems to be all on board.

At worst he seems like a quality depth add if he ends up being nothing more. He is versatile enough to play wing or stretch 4. His handles look better than a Trevon Scott coming out of HS. Shooting form looks very solid. He can absolutely finish in the break with some hammer dunks. He can defend multiple spots...probably at least 2-4. He's got his education in check now.

For our first commit I like it on many levels. He seems excited as hell and we need guys like that to help Scott talk to other recruits. I think he will work his butt off and be a very solid contributor if not early then late. I don't really care too much about his stars right now or his offer list...this seemed like a no brainer for the staff.

Get Bolton now and we are headed in the right direction.
Every time I catch myself worrying about stars, I remember that Jermaine Lawrence was a 5 star and Jermaine Sanders and Shaq Thomas were 4 star
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #917
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Question? Just how much do coaches and recruiters rely on "live play" analysis? I would hope they aren't looking at mix tapes and then going to watch a game or two to see if they want to offer. Too much variability in a 1 or 2 game stretch IMO and mix tapes are only highlight reels.

I would hope there are many many games on tape that can be reviewed. I went to a very very small HS and every one of our FB games were on tape back in the late 80s. If there were a prospect on our team (not me) I would think any coach could access all of that video. I would think with higher caliber teams there should be a vault of game tape to be able to go back and watch an entire season on tape. Live play (if that is all) would seem a bit lazy when you only have 13 spots to fill you want to see all the action you can on a target...whether it's recorded or live.

I know there are other things you can see in a live play aspect and going to the games shows your interest. You can offer on the spot if you want. Just curious about pre recorded game tapes and how much they play into recruiting?
Don't have the answer for every recruit. But many schools do. Some even upload to youtube. Search Hargrave Military Academy basketball and you can watch almost every game Jeremiah Davenport played in for them.

Here's on of the games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52K5kcpP1s&t=228s (J. Davenport #24)

With a quick search I found Findley Prep games as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45JGT4sxWSI (T. Todd #11).

Last edited by skyblade; 05-13-2019 at 10:32 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #918
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Every time I catch myself worrying about stars, I remember that Jermaine Lawrence was a 5 star and Jermaine Sanders and Shaq Thomas were 4 star
Yah that's the thing. We have had 2 star guys end up being better players. I think most of our real "projects" were bigs for the most part and that is to be expected since talented bigs are going to be on every coaches radar. It's the assessment of guards and wings that are going to be critical. Cronin did a pretty good job of that...but he leaned towards the athlete vs the basketball player. Brannen may/will lean the other way.

It's going to be hard to say if that philosophy (or those assessments) will be better or worse until we see some product on the floor. As a fan, year 1 and 2 may be tough to assess since it's a new system for the players to pick up and to perfect and also to build chemistry. Cronin would only trust his veterans or a high caliber youngster to execute his plan.

The good thing about Davenport is that he can play a stretch 4 type of position or wing...so he can help in a couple of areas if we want to play small or go traditional. It's time to get some ball handlers now since we have plenty of depth at the 4 and 5 with Scott, Diara, Gillam, Hardnett, and now Davenport. I think we can play traditional or small depending on the perceived talent from CJB perspective. We are very light on ball handlers and shooters. Let's see how good Brannen is at recognizing talent whether it be 2, 3 or 4 stars.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #919
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Don't have the answer for every recruit. But many schools do. Some even upload to youtube. Search Hargrave Military Academy basketball and you can watch almost every game Jeremiah Davenport played in for them.

Here's on of the games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52K5kcpP1s&t=228s (J. Davenport #24)

With a quick search I found Findley Prep games as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45JGT4sxWSI (T. Todd #11).
Thanks for the vids. I was just wondering how much the staff looks at stuff like that as opposed to "live action" or mix tapes being the primary measure.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #920
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks for the vids. I was just wondering how much the staff looks at stuff like that as opposed to "live action" or mix tapes being the primary measure.
I would guess they rely on mostly vids and watching them live. The mix tapes are like a resume, try to catch the coaches eye. Then the coach delves into watching live tapes to see how that player performs in more real life situations. If that looks good too, that's when I imagine they watch the guy live and meet with him (and learn about his personality). I don't really know, but that's the order that seems most logical to me.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote