Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #201
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
My entire point is an exaggeration.

I have no beefs with Brannen personally. I'm mostly just responding to the guys who berated Cronin every time we lost a single game for the last 4 years or so. They made my forum experience not so fan with ridiculous takes, so I'm just returning the favor a bit.

And nothing I've said about Brannen has been untrue. I'm just stating facts around the the state of the program.

I mean we got people jumping for frickin joy because we signed Jeremiah Davenport. Which is hilarious too, considering he is an unranked prospect that Played an extra year in HS so that he could get more major offiers and those offers just didn't come.

I just have high expectations for this program and me being mad at the fact that a team I pay hundreds of dollars to watch every season, is now going to suck next year and most likely for forseeable future, is wrong. Its going to be 21-22 season before we make the tourney again unless he really kills it on the recruiting trail.

And there were people saying that because Memphis and UCONN get 5 star kids then UC should be getting them and berated Mick for not doing it.

I have zero Allegiance to Mick. I want him to turn around UCLA though and won't root against him. But other than that, I don't care about Mick Cronin anymore. He is no longer the coach. But I'm more upset with the fans who i had to hear meltdown on the 5 or 6 times a year we lost a game.

its also funny though that people are already starting to lowering the expectations for John.

To me... it seems like this fanbase would gladly trade 1 elite 8 even if it meant Missing the tourney 4 out of 5 years.
At this point you are just admitting you’re a troll. Posting for a reaction and not to add to the conversation. Everything that has occurred was pretty much expected. He has a staff in place. I’m going to root for him to succeed. Can’t do anything else as a fan.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #202
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
You're deliberately choosing to be ignorant. You've ignored every report on Davenport, that are widely available btw, talking about the giant leap he made in the last year. And he did have an offer from VT. Is he a sure thing? Nope. But it's more about landing a guy with, by all reports, has a shit ton of potential this late in the year. You're determined to remain a sulky teen on the rag, and refuse to acknowledge anything positive that may force you out if that bitchy state. You're a moderator on this site that has been banned on 247 and are a laughing stock due to how you continue to handle yourself. You should be embarrassed. Do ******* better.

Lol I have never moderated a thing on this site. I also didn’t ask to be a mod. So I dunno what that has to do with any thing. I’m just a regular user on this site that’s it. They can remove the tag any time they want
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #203
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My entire point is an exaggeration.

I have no beefs with Brannen personally. I'm mostly just responding to the guys who berated Cronin every time we lost a single game for the last 4 years or so. They made my forum experience not so fan with ridiculous takes, so I'm just returning the favor a bit.

And nothing I've said about Brannen has been untrue. I'm just stating facts around the the state of the program.

I mean we got people jumping for frickin joy because we signed Jeremiah Davenport. Which is hilarious too, considering he is an unranked prospect that Played an extra year in HS so that he could get more major offiers and those offers just didn't come.

I just have high expectations for this program and me being mad at the fact that a team I pay hundreds of dollars to watch every season, is now going to suck next year and most likely for forseeable future, is wrong. Its going to be 21-22 season before we make the tourney again unless he really kills it on the recruiting trail.

And there were people saying that because Memphis and UCONN get 5 star kids then UC should be getting them and berated Mick for not doing it.

I have zero Allegiance to Mick. I want him to turn around UCLA though and won't root against him. But other than that, I don't care about Mick Cronin anymore. He is no longer the coach. But I'm more upset with the fans who i had to hear meltdown on the 5 or 6 times a year we lost a game.

its also funny though that people are already starting to lowering the expectations for John.

To me... it seems like this fanbase would gladly trade 1 elite 8 even if it meant Missing the tourney 4 out of 5 years.
So you decided because you heard emotional hot garbage takes when we had bad games that you are now going to take over the hot garbage mantle? Don’t do that to yourself...there’s still time to rethink that strategy
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #204
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lol I have never moderated a thing on this site. I also didn’t ask to be a mod. So I dunno what that has to do with any thing. I’m just a regular user on this site that’s it. They can remove the tag any time they want
Guess the Senior Moderator title confuses things, but it should have known that was the case. Moderators usually oversee a message board and make sure things don’t go off the rails, not set needless and foolish fires.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #205
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
How come no predicted National Championship? I mean what do we do this for. Me personally I expect brannnen to, I don't know... we got a kid from moller I haven't heard about until now and I live in Cincinnati. Well that's just great.. I hope Brannnen gets to a sweet 16 in the next 3 yrs but that's assuming we don't make the tournament in the next 2. And taking that into consideration we're probably gonna dud the next 3 recruiting classes in the AAC. So, I guess we're gonna just give this guy 5 yrs, 6 tops to make 1 tournament. Clearly I'm not too optimistic, hopefully Keith reaches his potential this yr, also think hardnett has ability guess we'll get to at least see his player development with current Cronin players but that's if they stay and play
This post makes no sense. First off, I’ve heard of Davenport and I don’t know much about high school hoops. Not saying the kid is going to be great but he could be a solid player. I also think we could be at least a bubble team next year if Jarron returns. No one has said to give the guy 5-6 years to make 1 tournament. I love how things are just made up regularly on here
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #206
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This post makes no sense. First off, I’ve heard of Davenport and I don’t know much about high school hoops. Not saying the kid is going to be great but he could be a solid player. I also think we could be at least a bubble team next year if Jarron returns. No one has said to give the guy 5-6 years to make 1 tournament. I love how things are just made up regularly on here
Yea.... Saying 1 tournament in taking into account the decline in recruiting. If Davenport was recruited by Mick thier would be all kinds of complaints, fact is we are in a weak spot and had to take on a spotty recuit. Good luck getting to the second weekend with those types. Not a stupid post just a realistic post. Don't think too hard trying to save face with this hire
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #207
waterhead
Senior Moderator

If Cumberland returns I would still have pretty high hopes. It still takes time to gel under a new coach so I am not sure what the ceiling or floor would be. If he returns and we add a couple of 2019 eligible transfers...we might not have to skip a beat. But again...everyone would be first year in a new system under a new coach. Even if we returned a full roster that would still be the case. I would still have to temper expectations while remaining cautiously optimistic.

If he doesn't return then we just need to build the solid core depth in 2019 and score big in that 2020 class. Not skipping a beat under a new coach can be done...but I don't think it's an easy thing to do. I have been satisfied with the process. We have backed away from a few players already which tells me we are not in desperation mode as a staff (and we have a lot of spots to fill). Some of the names still on the board for offers or visits is pretty good for 2019 late in the game. Hoping for a big news week!! We seem to be doing our due diligence and not in panic mode (yet...lol).
Old 05-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #208
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Cumberland returns I would still have pretty high hopes. It still takes time to gel under a new coach so I am not sure what the ceiling or floor would be. If he returns and we add a couple of 2019 eligible transfers...we might not have to skip a beat. But again...everyone would be first year in a new system under a new coach. Even if we returned a full roster that would still be the case. I would still have to temper expectations while remaining cautiously optimistic.

If he doesn't return then we just need to build the solid core depth in 2019 and score big in that 2020 class. Not skipping a beat under a new coach can be done...but I don't think it's an easy thing to do. I have been satisfied with the process. We have backed away from a few players already which tells me we are not in desperation mode as a staff (and we have a lot of spots to fill). Some of the names still on the board for offers or visits is pretty good for 2019 late in the game. Hoping for a big news week!! We seem to be doing our due diligence and not in panic mode (yet...lol).
Cumberland returning would be a saving Grace. Coach brannnen would have to bake him a cake
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #209
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Justin Williams' article for the athletic today makes it pretty clear Mick was leaving. He definitely wasn't forced out here, UC was negotiating and matching most of his demands (wanted to negotiate the buy out amount Mick wanted 2.5, 2.0, 1.5, 1.0, 1.0 and UC wanted 3.5, 3.0, 2.0, 1.0, 1.0 then Bohn wanted to commit to the 5th year only if UC made 1 sweet 16 in the next 4 years).

This talk of UC not trying to work with Mick was complete and total BS. It was made up trash. The public record request showed the emails and UC was willing to pay Mick 3.0 million a year if he made a sweet 16.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #210
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Yea.... Saying 1 tournament in taking into account the decline in recruiting. If Davenport was recruited by Mick thier would be all kinds of complaints, fact is we are in a weak spot and had to take on a spotty recuit. Good luck getting to the second weekend with those types. Not a stupid post just a realistic post. Don't think too hard trying to save face with this hire
There would be complaints by someone sure. Cronin would have been in an entirely different situation though. I think it's a solid start. Seems like staff and recruit were on the same page. He definitely looks to have a lot of upside and seems to have the necessary work ethic to follow through. I don't think he can score 10 points falling out of bed...but looks like he can guard several different positions, make a 3, and has reasonable handles for a guy his size. The hammer dunks are also impressive. He's local and has dreamed of playing here. The only thing not to like really are the stars behind his name...but looks like he was at least picking up a little steam with VT and now UC offers. Late bloomer type is okay with me.