Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2013 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
All we do is Guyn

All we do is Guyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
My saying, "I don't see this happening" wasn't due to numbers, but the fact UC got in late. I am on record saying if anyone leaves it'll be one of the bigs. Of course they will work it out if they land this young man; whether or not Morman qualifies.
Jeff, why do you think it would be one of the bigs that leaves? It seems like it will be our weakest position again but replacing a big for another guard doesn't seem like the right answer
All we do is Guyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by All we do is Guyn View Post
Jeff, why do you think it would be one of the bigs that leaves? It seems like it will be our weakest position again but replacing a big for another guard doesn't seem like the right answer
Yea, if a big leaves they better replace them with another big. They are incredibly weak up front next year. Not that the current bigs are great but if you lose one they will be even weaker.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
bearcatjb74

bearcatjb74 is on a distinguished road
JJback to the center spot. Then you go 3 deep JJ, Strickland then Gaines.
bearcatjb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatjb74 View Post
JJback to the center spot. Then you go 3 deep JJ, Strickland then Gaines.
3 deep of what though? JJ is not good enough to be a starter. He should get about 15 minutes, maybe. He'd get killed on the defensive end and isn't good enough on offense to create a mismatch. Gaines is not a very good basketball player and Strickland is still an unknown....They still need some bigs. I guess JUCO at this point if a spot becomes open for one.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
3 deep of what though? JJ is not good enough to be a starter. He should get about 15 minutes, maybe. He'd get killed on the defensive end and isn't good enough on offense to create a mismatch. Gaines is not a very good basketball player and Strickland is still an unknown....They still need some bigs. I guess JUCO at this point if a spot becomes open for one.
Why would JJ get killed defensively? Because he isn't as heavy as some typical centers? There aren't many of those in college basketball any more and we could just play zone to cover for that. To be honest, I see this team playing a good amount of zone next year any way. Any mismatch that JJ lacks in size he will make up for with speed and quickness. I am not as down on JJ as some on this site are. Do I wish he had a little more offensive game? Sure. Doesn't mean he can't develop a better one in the offseason. I think the experiment with JJ on the perimeter is over. Lawrence and Rubles will give this team that 4 man that can play on the perimeter (especially Lawrence because he can shoot) and beat his man off the dribble. Mick has been looking for a mismatch 4 for several years now and he finally has it in Lawrence.

And for people that still complain about the offense, watch UL and their offense will look mighty familiar. The difference, a PG that can get to the basket and isn't playing on a bum wheel and a center that can stretch the defense by consistently hitting a 15 footer. Mbodj was open in that spot every game, all day and just couldn't consistently hit it. The offense is not always the problem. Poor execution can make any offense look crappy.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

He would get killed because he has shown that he isn't strong enough to handle a big man. Not sure how his speed and quickness is really going to help him out on the low block. I'm more curious to what you've seen from him that makes you think he'd be able to handle his own at the 5 position. He is unbelievably foul prone and I think that will be even worse if he is forced to guard someone bigger and stronger than him.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
bearcatjb74

bearcatjb74 is on a distinguished road
When JJ comes in at the 5 spot you press and go zone ?? He will get minutes there. The only way we sign anyone late will be if that can score. Need that above all else.
bearcatjb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
He would get killed because he has shown that he isn't strong enough to handle a big man. Not sure how his speed and quickness is really going to help him out on the low block. I'm more curious to what you've seen from him that makes you think he'd be able to handle his own at the 5 position. He is unbelievably foul prone and I think that will be even worse if he is forced to guard someone bigger and stronger than him.
Pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
We need someone with mass on the inside but we also need someone who's coordinated. The way I see things, we have issues inside and out. We need Strickland to put up some minutes, we need either Nyarsuk or Gaines to step up.
We also need though, someone on offense who can penetrate and get by people. Sanders will be a solid player but he's not that guy, Guyn is a fairly solid player but doesn't have that initial burst. On the other hand, if he can learn to muscle his way and get to the line it would be some help. Jeremiah Davis isn't quite that guy, though I think he'll be a solid player.
Thomas may be that guy but I'd feel comfortable with a guard like Lee who can penetrate. We used to have Dixon and Wright who could do it, who do we have going into next year who can?

What's frustrating me, is Rubles reluctance to drive. The guy could be a nightmare for other teams if he could do that. Needs to drive and look to take the rim down. Although he's gotten a lot of grief for his perimeter shooting, he actually has a good jump shot inside 15 feet. That combined with his athleticism and size, he should be a very good garbage man. This team could use that as well.

With the center issue, Mbodj stepped up an did a decent job at it. His only really knock was his size. I was impressed with his progress, a bit down about the regression of Nyarsuk.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic1 View Post
Pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
We need someone with mass on the inside but we also need someone who's coordinated. The way I see things, we have issues inside and out. We need Strickland to put up some minutes, we need either Nyarsuk or Gaines to step up.
We also need though, someone on offense who can penetrate and get by people. Sanders will be a solid player but he's not that guy, Guyn is a fairly solid player but doesn't have that initial burst. On the other hand, if he can learn to muscle his way and get to the line it would be some help. Jeremiah Davis isn't quite that guy, though I think he'll be a solid player.
Thomas may be that guy but I'd feel comfortable with a guard like Lee who can penetrate. We used to have Dixon and Wright who could do it, who do we have going into next year who can?

What's frustrating me, is Rubles reluctance to drive. The guy could be a nightmare for other teams if he could do that. Needs to drive and look to take the rim down. Although he's gotten a lot of grief for his perimeter shooting, he actually has a good jump shot inside 15 feet. That combined with his athleticism and size, he should be a very good garbage man. This team could use that as well.

With the center issue, Mbodj stepped up an did a decent job at it. His only really knock was his size. I was impressed with his progress, a bit down about the regression of Nyarsuk.
The quickest player with the ball on this team, this season, was Jeremiah Davis. Unfortunately, he got hurt. I think he will be able to get into the lane and cause some havoc next year. I had hoped Guyn could do that but I didn't see much of that from him this year.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Lee with end up at NC State, Creighton, or Baylor imo. He has not given a time table for a decision but I'd still pick from one of those 3 at this point.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote