Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFreaselefteye View Post
Bubble team? Cmon now. How does anyone look at this roster and think we’re gojjg to be worse than last year. Our top three scorers from last year our back, we add in a ton of experience through grad transfers and a freshman that I’ve hesrd could be in the NBA after two years. You’re right though, losing Reshawn Fredericks is tough. Idk how we can possibly replace that production. I’m also on the Mick stinks train, so I think Brannen can docmore with this team. Super excited.
Brooks was our second best player and one of the best offensive rebounders in the country. We replace him with a pair of unimpressive unknowns - Sorolla is a horrible offensive rebounder, Vogt is skinny and can't shoot - and Diarra who right now is just potential.

Jenifer was arguably our best 3 point shooter, Broome showed up in big moments. McNeal is a bad 3 point shooter and commits too many TO's, Jeavin is an excellent three point shooter, but not really a PG. Both are unproven at this level of play.

We've got an excellent 3 players in Jarron, Williams and Scott. But teams need 8-9 players to contribute. I can see us being anywhere from an outside looking in bubble team, to a top 20 team. It depends on if the grad transfers can make the jump to the higher level (and with better stats then they put up at the lower levels in all cases but Jaevin) and how quickly the freshmen can contribute.

I also think Moore and Diarra will be major factors. If we go small, Moore is one guy with the size and willingness to battle inside that we will need to succeed at small ball. Diarra providing quality minutes at C and backing up Scott will be huge.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #12
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I would agree with that, I think its important to win some of the big non conference games, I think this team is fully capable of beating OSU... but we really don't know what team will show up game one in Columbus. I think they beat Iowa in Chicago. I think they lose to Tennessee and I think they will have a gutty win @ X. I think we split with Memphis and Houston.... maybe drop one to temple and then maybe lose a random one we should win against like USF or SMU or some middle of the conference team. But I think they make the tourney and depending on seeding could make a nice run.

I think the Madsen twins will be nice in the future especially Gabe, Saunders could be a solid player, but Zach Harvey would never be here if it wasn't for his legal troubles, usually dudes like that aren't coming to Cincy. Priority for 2020 class is to fill that last scholarship with a solid big. Unfortunately Brannen has struck out on some of the bigger names in that class we had a chance with.
Brannen's recruiting thus far has been fairly unimpressive. Despite all the talk from fans, we've only added one 150+ player in 2019/2020 (Zach Harvey). Traynor/Eason would be big additions, but neither seems to be likely currently.

Still I've maintained from the start that better recruiting is not what will make Brannen great, it will be doing more with the guys he does recruit (or honestly, just doing as well as Cronin and having more success in the NCAA tournament).

I think this team is capable of beating OSU, but getting blown out by OSU would not surprise me. OSU has a quality center, which may give us major problems and I expect the team to take a while to gel. Much like last years team, I think we will be much better come March than we are in November. We may not get a high seed in the NCAA tournament, but we should be a team high-seeds don't want to play.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
KennyFreaselefteye

KennyFreaselefteye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Brooks was our second best player and one of the best offensive rebounders in the country. We replace him with a pair of unimpressive unknowns - Sorolla is a horrible offensive rebounder, Vogt is skinny and can't shoot - and Diarra who right now is just potential.

Jenifer was arguably our best 3 point shooter, Broome showed up in big moments. McNeal is a bad 3 point shooter and commits too many TO's, Jeavin is an excellent three point shooter, but not really a PG. Both are unproven at this level of play.

We've got an excellent 3 players in Jarron, Williams and Scott. But teams need 8-9 players to contribute. I can see us being anywhere from an outside looking in bubble team, to a top 20 team. It depends on if the grad transfers can make the jump to the higher level (and with better stats then they put up at the lower levels in all cases but Jaevin) and how quickly the freshmen can contribute.

I also think Moore and Diarra will be major factors. If we go small, Moore is one guy with the size and willingness to battle inside that we will need to succeed at small ball. Diarra providing quality minutes at C and backing up Scott will be huge.
Nysier is definitely a big loss, but with the style Brannen is preaching, I think we can play small and be just fine. Cumberland Cousins, Harvey, Williams and Scott is a lineup that can run. Sure you’re small, but you cause havoc with length and speed. I may be in the minority, but I don’t think losing Jenifer and Cane Broome is the end of the world. Cane did win us some clutch games last year (Tulsa) but add in Jaevin to take his spot. Harvey as a 10 point scoring option. I just don’t see how we’re not better. Only time will tell. I also thought last years team just wasn’t that great. So many close games that could have gone the other way and been a completely different year. Was nothing like the previous year in terms of how they came out and rolled. I like this team to be a 6 seed.
KennyFreaselefteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Brannen's recruiting thus far has been fairly unimpressive. Despite all the talk from fans, we've only added one 150+ player in 2019/2020 (Zach Harvey). Traynor/Eason would be big additions, but neither seems to be likely currently.

only 1 150+ player, but he was top 50.

Also Gabe comes in the top 150 in some rankings.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would grade Brannen's recruiting as a B so far. There are so many things to look at and things we can't know yet. He ended last year getting Jaevin and Harvey. Then he starts this year with Saunders and Madsen with not a lot of time to build new relationships.

He threw the farm at Madsen leading me to believe CJB sees higher value than his current rank. Probably especially or specifically for his system. I think Mason will end up surprising us some as well. But these two are dedicated gym rats and trending up. They will both work to get better and have tremendous attitudes.

Saunders is super stoked to be here and that is important for chemistry. He is also trending up and outplayed some higher ranked guys along the way. If he can develop a 3 ball he's going to be a very very good get. Again, he fits the system to a T outside of his shooting. Speed at PG seems to be a big deal to the coach and this kid has speed for days.

Speaking of the coach. He is a very smart, analytical and clever dude. Until we see these kids play in his system I have to trust he knows what he wants and why he wants them.

I do worry about getting quality bigs but I am not dissapointed at all with guards and wings so far. And I don't think we are out on the two PF's just yet. Spring will also open up some new opportunities for transfers, late bloomers or yet unsigned kids. Let's see what happens and evaluate after it actually happens.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

Yes, but we also only got him because of his legal issues and late reclassify. So I don't really consider him to be a sign that Brannen can regularly get that level of player.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would grade Brannen's recruiting as a B so far. There are so many things to look at and things we can't know yet. He ended last year getting Jaevin and Harvey. Then he starts this year with Saunders and Madsen with not a lot of time to build new relationships.

Lets be real, before we hired a new coach, if I tell you we get Cumberland, a top 50, and a top 150 for the next year, everybody here would have been thrilled.

I'm not sure how anybody could possibly be disappointed with that.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Yes, but we also only got him because of his legal issues and late reclassify. So I don't really consider him to be a sign that Brannen can regularly get that level of player.

we haven't regularly recruited that level on player since huggins, but it is nice to see one come in. he could have gone other places, but he came here.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lets be real, before we hired a new coach, if I tell you we get Cumberland, a top 50, and a top 150 for the next year, everybody here would have been thrilled.

I'm not sure how anybody could possibly be disappointed with that.
After we landed those two (Jaevin and Harvey) it led to some of the critics to put feet in mouth. But now we are back to being impatient again. We have two quality recruits for 2020 already. I think on 247 they are ranked around 180ish so that's pretty close to the 150 level and as you mentioned some sites may rank them different.

But outside of their ranks they have some intangibles that add value. Madsens will be the last one's in the gym and that can rub off by example on other players. Saunders wants to be here and seems to want to help other players to come here. That is worth something.

Both of them seemed like no brainers for CJB so I would be pretty confident they pan out.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #20
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think the point is... we landed Harvey because nearly all of his offers were pulled. He kinda ran out of landing spots.

Its great for us. But not great for our recruiting potential as I don't think we want to fill out the rest of our roster with dudes no one else will take.

Traynor seems like a moot point, as he is likely headed to Lousiville and Eason has some P5 schools that are closer to home after him.

Our big situation is bad for next season. With Prince likely gone. Its Vogt and Diarra. We need the next gary clark or top 150 big at least. But its been tough to make that happen so far

I was kinda hoping the Mick Cronin "meh" recruiting approach was done and we'd be getting top 30 classes, but as of today, I think his recruiting is actually below what Mick was pulling in.

Obviously its early so no time to panic yet
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote