Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #141
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
What I got from the Cronin interview was the way he sounded about people questioning him about Evans leaving cuz he seemed more optimistic than I had been over the last week on Evans staying.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #142
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I'm a stats guy. There's no correlation between tempo and efficiency. Villanova's offensive possession length was 17.9 seconds, exactly the same as ours. I think there is an illusion that playing fast is better because it is easier to score in transition. But in 5v5 situations, faster is not more efficient. Creating more transition opportunities means sacrifices in other areas, mainly defending the lane and defensive rebounding.
We are worse almost across the board in 11-30 of the shot clock, compared to the first 10 seconds. And I'm not saying play the whole game like that. And we also don't shoot enough 3s. Villanova does.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #143
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
We are worse almost across the board in 11-30 of the shot clock, compared to the first 10 seconds. And I'm not saying play the whole game like that. And we also don't shoot enough 3s. Villanova does.
Villanova had four guys shooting over 40% on 150+ attempts, three of which could create their own shot off the dribble. We had nobody like that, and only Evans was really capable. Villanova was built to shoot threes, they were extremely effective at it, and that's why they were the best team in the country. Even so, they weren't just regularly shooting early in the shot clock. They weren't better than us because they played faster than us.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #144
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Villanova had four guys shooting over 40% on 150+ attempts, three of which could create their own shot off the dribble. We had nobody like that, and only Evans was really capable. Villanova was built to shoot threes, they were extremely effective at it, and that's why they were the best team in the country. Even so, they weren't just regularly shooting early in the shot clock. They weren't better than us because they played faster than us.
Right.

They were better bc of what they ran in that time, what shots they took, and who they had shooting them.

But we are better in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock off of rebounds or makes than we are in seconds 11-30 of possessions, and significantly so. I'd like to see us try to manufacture more of those looks. And if we do get into the halfcourt, I'd like to see us go high pick and roll heavy with guys around the 3 point line. Early looks depending on the situation, 3s, layups, and free throws.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #145
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Again, the first 10 seconds will always appear better on offense because that's when transition baskets happen. In a 5v5 setting, I see no reason to believe that shooting early and shooting more threes will make us a better team. But I too would like to see pick and roll and 4 out offense, which our roster should lend itself to. I imagine we'll run far fewer sets without Gary. I expect our offense to resemble 2012.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #146
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Again, the first 10 seconds will always appear better on offense because that's when transition baskets happen. In a 5v5 setting, I see no reason to believe that shooting early and shooting more threes will make us a better team. But I too would like to see pick and roll and 4 out offense, which our roster should lend itself to. I imagine we'll run far fewer sets without Gary. I expect our offense to resemble 2012.
First 10 seconds is important bc it is before the defense is set. So shooting early is to avoid a 5v5 setting.

The teams that have knocked us out recently have shown that one offensive spurt can completely change the game.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #147
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Before the defense is set means transition. I'll repeat myself: creating more transition opportunities means sacrifices in other areas, mainly defending the lane and defensive rebounding.

That's different than shooting threes early 5v5, which seemed to be what you were promoting with your Suns/Syracuse descriptions.

I don't think either strategy will make us a better team. Efficiency is generally independent of tempo. I would define "spurt" as scoring per possessions, not time. Shooting earlier wouldn't give us a better chance to have one.

Last edited by sedziobs; 04-10-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #148
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Before the defense is set means transition. I'll repeat myself: creating more transition opportunities means sacrifices in other areas, mainly defending the lane and defensive rebounding.

That's different than shooting threes early 5v5, which seemed to be what you were promoting with your Suns/Syracuse descriptions.

I don't think either strategy will make us a better team. Efficiency is generally independent of tempo. I would define "spurt" as scoring per possessions, not time. Shooting earlier wouldn't give us a better chance to have one.
The Suns and Michigan State/Syracuse desciptions are 2 different things.

Also, those are sacrifices I'm willing to make. Doesn't matter though.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #149
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Do you guys consider D’Antoni a great coach ?

I think he is a cosch with a great players. He has a 46% winning percentage in the playoffs and most likely won’t get past the warriors this season.

I want nothing to do with the D’Antoni approach. I’m not even sure it’s Winning system.

I’d rather play the system of the spurs over any 10 seconds or less offense (or whatever it is)
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #150
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I'm only talking about sprinkling in elements of that kind of approach here and there to keep things at a pace that helps us avoid the games in the 50s and low 60s.