Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
It would certainly help if he could get it figured out. I would settle for the mid point between 44 and 31.
whatever it ends up at, his inside game has been impressive to me. he actually has some solid post moves.

mick sees him as more of a 3, but he seems to have the game of a small ball 4. i imagine he splits time between the 2 depending on the type of team we face.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I would love it if fredericks never shot another 3. fredericks is shooting 80% from 2. it's ok to not be a good 3 point shooter. we let rubles fire off 43 of them his jr year, he only took 3 as a sr.
At 80 percent I would tend to agree but I don’t think it’s time to put the red light on just yet.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:28 PM   #13
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...oaches-do-not/

i enjoyed this article as it discusses two things that the greatest college coach ever does that our coach does not do.

i'm a supporter of mick, but i wish he would come around on these subjects, especially on the 2 first half fouls one with regard to cumberland.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:49 AM   #14
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post

i enjoyed this article as it discusses two things that the greatest college coach ever does that our coach does not do.

i'm a supporter of mick, but i wish he would come around on these subjects, especially on the 2 first half fouls one with regard to cumberland.
Thanks For Sharing.

I kind of go back and forth on this issue. I really don't think there should be a hard and fast rule about sitting a player after he has 2 fouls in the first half. If I am a opposing coach and Cumberland picks up his second and is still in the game I am definitely trying to get him his 3rd. Depending on the score or my depth as a team it may dictate how I respond in that situation.

As for a two for one situation If I can get a good shot off in and save time doing it I'm good with going tow for one. I don't know if I would want to just throw up a bad shot to get a extra possession.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:58 AM   #15
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

we didn't even get a 1v0 correct last game at the end of the first half, nevermind properly getting 2 possessions to 1. which i think is why a lot of college coaches don't try to get their players to do it, because you can't trust them to take good shots.

the 2 foul thing makes it sound like coaches should be trying to maximize the playing time of their best players and best lineup combinations. that just doesn't sound like smart basketball.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #16
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #17
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we didn't even get a 1v0 correct last game at the end of the first half, nevermind properly getting 2 possessions to 1. which i think is why a lot of college coaches don't try to get their players to do it, because you can't trust them to take good shots.

the 2 foul thing makes it sound like coaches should be trying to maximize the playing time of their best players and best lineup combinations. that just doesn't sound like smart basketball.
Yea, that last possession was very ugly. Big swing in Mo. Heading into halftime. Our guys got to be smarter then that.

Playing guys with two fouls is tough in the first half. If I have a lead I never play them. If it is close I might try to slow the game down and handle it that way. Lots of options. The player has to know that he can not put himself in the wrong spot. It also makes you a bit dependent on the officials. All it takes is a bad call.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think the two for one thing is pretty simple. You have to give yourself an opportunity to get a decent look by getting the ball up the court rather than walking it up. Walking it up takes the opportunity away. Obviously you need someone you can trust in this situation and you don't always have to take a shot.

As for the 2 fouls (notice 1 foul is not even part of the equation...ala Cumberland OSU) it depends on who has the fouls. Is it a valuable big that can pick up fouls very easily in the paint...or guards who don't pick up fouls as easily. I would play the guards especially if the replacement is a massive dropoff in production (ala Cumberland OSU). I would probably sit the bigs. There are things you can do on D to kind of protect a guard with 2 fouls if you need him on the court.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #19
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Kenpom had an article about 2 first half fouls over the summer.
Quote:
As I discovered when looking at this issue in 2016, players are more conservative defensively when they get in foul trouble, so expecting coaches to ignore the situation is unrealistic if they are doing their jobs right.

Furthermore, there are reasons you’d rather have a player available for the end of a potentially close game than just simply playing him until he fouls out. On the flip side, a player whose effectiveness is reduced due to foul trouble might still be better than the alternatives and if that player isn’t particularly foul-prone to begin with, there’s little need to bench him. Naturally, each coach handles these decisions differently. (And because this issue doesn’t seem to be well-understood, I suspect many are using a sub-optimal approach.)
[2-Foul Participation] was around 20% for all of big-time college basketball last season, a number that has been dropping steadily since 2010, the first season for which we have complete play-by-play data. Coaches are gradually getting more conservative about playing guys with foul trouble in the first half. Even with foul rates declining to historic lows last season, coaches were less willing to play a guy after he picked up his second foul. It makes one wonder if there is a level of fouling low enough to make coaches reconsider their philosophy.
https://kenpom.com/blog/introducing-...participation/
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #20
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
And from his 2016 foul trouble post:
Quote:
The main argument against sitting players in foul trouble is that players rarely foul out and sitting them is just depriving the best players of playing time. However, you could reframe the debate. Instead of maximizing minutes for his best players, a coach’s job is also to minimize bad minutes. There’s a self-preservation instinct in most players and in situations where that instinct is the strongest, there figures to be a negative impact on the player’s defense.

Hey, maybe the best coach would train his players to play the same way regardless of their foul count.4 If that was accomplished, then we could focus on the goal of maximizing minutes. But it seems that players will never be able to ignore the reality that once they get a fifth foul, their playing time is permanently reduced to zero for what could be the most exciting parts of the game.

That’s a big incentive to reduce one’s foul rate after getting into foul trouble and become a defensive liability. While I wouldn’t side with the most extreme coaches that refuse to play guys in foul trouble, there’s plenty of evidence to suggest that ignoring foul trouble isn’t a viable approach, either.
https://kenpom.com/blog/foul-trouble...ed-by-players/
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote