Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #291
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Obviously this doesn't mean Mick shouldn't get any credit. He's done the job year in and year out. Missouri could easily miss the tournament in upcoming years. So it's not that I don't appreciate the job he has done. But I just don't think it's good enough to make him untouchable and give him a job for life.

So for every time it gets mentioned that he brought us back from the dead, it's worth remembering that other coaches can do it too...and have. And recently.

This also shows that changes coaches doesn't have to be the end of the world, as long as you end up with a good one. They are now better off than they were under Haith, and probably even Mike Anderson (and obviously Kim Anderson).

People like to bring up the Pitt example for why you don't change coaches. But are we sure? Obviously Stallings flopped. And horribly. But that lasted just 2 years and now they have Capel in there giving it a go. They could very well still end up better off. So far, Dixon has made the tournament as a 6, but they lost right away. So for as bad as Stallings was, the fans (now that he's gone) probably don't feel like they're missing much. Obviously they hit a bump in the road. But as pointed out in this post, the right coach can turn things around very quickly. Even in bad situations.

Which brings me to this now. TCU was 6-48 in the Big 12 in the 3 years before Jamie Dixon got there. And within 2 years they got a 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Another coach who took over a terrible situation (with no tradition) and very quickly turned it around.

This stuff happens. All the time.
It's a lot easier to recruit to power five conference schools.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #292
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense first View Post
It's a lot easier to recruit to power five conference schools.
We were in the Big East during our 5 year rebuild...?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #293
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We were in the Big East during our 5 year rebuild...?
But but but.......
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #294
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Ok. Well let’s see what kind of sustained success Martin has.

I doubt he has 8 straight tourney appearances.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #295
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Also , the roster Martin inherited was far better then what Cronin inherited.

Name a player Cronin inherited as good as Jordan Barnett?
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #296
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Ok. Well let’s see what kind of sustained success Martin has.

I doubt he has 8 straight tourney appearances.
I would bet against that as well.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #297
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Also , the roster Martin inherited was far better then what Cronin inherited.

Name a player Cronin inherited as good as Jordan Barnett?
Barwin was pretty good...just not at basketball.

Difference of 1 year vs 5 was more the point.

I'm fine with Cronin being the coach for like I have said, the next couple years. But I'm getting less and less worried about what the idea of moving on would mean for us.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #298
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
And porter brought in buzz and his high recruit cousin. Much better situation than Mick. We are sustaining success but it has become a little stagnant. But at this point it's because we are putting everything on tournament success. We have completely forgotten how good this year really was. How great our team was. We melted down and it hurts, it sucks, it's a whole lot of stuff. But that doesn't take away from the rest of the success of this season.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #299
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would bet against that as well.
Our recruiting ranking wise was slightly better in the big East. However i think Martin did a terrible terrible job at the end of the year with Missouri, he let Porter come back and Jack up every shot he could get. In my opinion because of that they got beat in there conference tournament and in the NCAA tournament. Very poor coaching decision. I think by the first game he was back, the rest of the team was ready to pack it in. Can't have that type of stinginess in a team because one player was more highly regarded. Bad move on Martin's side. As terrible as our year ended, it was better than Missouri's by far. And all that with higher ranked players, taking into consideration Porter sitting all but three games, and then being in the sec.

Last edited by Defense first; 04-15-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #300
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense first View Post
Our recruiting ranking wise was slightly better in the big East. However i think Martin did a terrible terrible job at the end of the year with Missouri, he let Porter come back and Jack up every shot he could get. In my opinion because of that they got beat in there conference tournament and in the NCAA tournament. Very poor coaching decision. I think by the first game he was back, the rest of the team was ready to pack it in. Can't have that type of stinginess in a team because one player was more highly regarded. Bad move on Martin's side. As terrible as our year ended, it was better than Missouri's by far. And all that with higher ranked players, taking into consideration Porter sitting all but three games, and then being in the sec.
I think you are missing the point.