Downtown Brown

Downtown Brown is on a distinguished road
12/01/09 Texas Southern at Cincinnati

7:30 pm
Downtown Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Sophomore forward Yancy Gates leads the team with 13.2 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. The only other players scoring in double figures are Vaughn (11.3 ppg), who has led the team in each of his three previous seasons, and highly-touted freshman forward Lance Stephenson (10.8).

Cincinnati has thrived, however, on the strength of a defense limiting opponents 36.5 percent shooting 60.7 points per game.

That should be more than enough to contain a Texas Southern team that's cracked 80 points once in seven games this season.

The Tigers didn't even come close to that in last season's matchup at Fifth Third Arena, an 82-51 loss. DeAndre Hall accounted for more than half of their offensive output with 29 points - at the time a career high which he later topped by one point.

After leading Texas Southern with 13.8 points per game in 2008-09, Hall's 13.9-point average as a senior this season is third behind juniors Travele Jones (17.1) and Whitworth Treasure (16.0).

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34215284
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Vaughn didn't start, but the team didn't need him early. In the first half, Bishop looked great, and Lance is contributing w/o scoring. Very fun game so far.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
swg
Epic Member

Nice win by UC. I think Cronin is finally getting the rewards from his years of waiting for players and development. Wilks and Bishop look like different players, and with LS (Lance Fever) dishing the rock, these guys are getting open looks like they've never seen before. In fact, everyone is benefitting from LS, including Gates and Vaughn. This team is getting fast break points, as well as good interior looks.
You can argue that the other team isn't UConn, but after losing to the likes of Wofford in the past coupla years, I like the fact that we are dominating teams that are below us.

BTW
-anyone see Toyloy make all those FT's?
-Dixon gets more boards and interior baskets than just about any other guard who plays his minutes.
-Nice to see our guys NOT in foul trouble.
-our shooting will improve because our guys don't have to play the entire half.
-Wilks and Biggie were making plays defensively (this is not a posting error).
-I'm glad Wright is shooting less, as well as LS not throwing up 3's anymore.
-If things continue like this, I think you'll see alot more Dixon and Wilks, and less Toyloy and Wright (by a few minutes, but still).
-I'll put up our guards against anyone else's in regards to rebounding on both ends. They are impressive.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
adrock
Elite Member

adrock has a spectacular aura aboutadrock has a spectacular aura about
7 players in double figures last night. That's very impressive. And who knew that Dixon and Bishop would contribute this much?

I think this year will be a very exciting one to be a Bearcat basketball fan...I just hope our attendance increases. These kids deserve our attention.
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
babcat

babcat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to babcat
Anyone else happen to notice the stunned look on Nick Van Exel's face?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
swg
Epic Member

Hell, TSU could have used him.