Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #91
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Seriously man, having your scoring option in bounds the ball there is really common under the basket. He'll have more freedom and space from his defender who can't immediately grab him before he picks which corner he runs to off the screen.

This is literally one of the oldest most effective actions for BLOB. But if you knew anything about basketball instead of spouting nothing but nonsense you would've known that.
That’s why I asked the question. I don’t claim to know a lot about basketball. Anyway I am not a Brooks fan at all but I think he could have done better then Cland did.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #92
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I didn't get to see the game but I was wondering about Broome's turnovers. He gets a few too many turnovers from what I would call lazy passes but some are also from telegraphing. There really is no excuse for a lazy pass but I often hear Terrry Nelson saying you need to fake a pass before you make a pass. I think Broome could benefit from that principle the most.

If he is looking to pass the ball to one side he should probably fake the pass first then go back and fake to someone else and finally go back to the first option. Defenders find it easy to predict where Broome is going to often.

I really don't care if Cane gets a travel or dribbles one off his leg when he is being aggressive but these other turnovers are mostly preventable. He could probably cut his TO's in half by putting more zip on the ball and using more fakes. These are the TO's that will drive Cronin crazy. Allley oops that miss their mark should probably also be curtailed.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #93
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uclawrugby View Post
That’s why I asked the question. I don’t claim to know a lot about basketball. Anyway I am not a Brooks fan at all but I think he could have done better then Cland did.
If it was a genuine questionb trying to learn, my bad and I'm sorry. But none of your posts on this forum have given any inkling of trying to learn more or being deferential about your basketball knowledge. If anything most of your posts cone across as if you have all the answers...aka play lojo more.

I'm not an expert. And even anyone who is, the game is always changing and evolving to the point where they could quickly be outdated.

I'm just a retired scrub high school player.

I really can't believe anyone would ever have an issue going to Cumberland there. He's our most talented player. Our most consistent Ft shooter. Our best 3pt shooter. Our best creator.

The only debate is when it's so clear cut who your best player is, do you use him as a decoy for something else. In cool going down with giving him a chance to make a play.

More importantly, this play is pretty irrelevant. ECU sucks. We sucked more that day. It should never ever come down to that.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #94
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I'll say this, I can stomach losing 73-71 much more than when we lost 50-46 a couple years back. Its a game we shouldn't have lost. Too many turnovers and couldn't hit open shots, but we lost because ECU made contested jumper after contested jumper. They did hit some open threes but they played well above their average and for once we didnt lose cause we could only muster 50 points like most games we drop.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #95
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
If it was a genuine questionb trying to learn, my bad and I'm sorry. But none of your posts on this forum have given any inkling of trying to learn more or being deferential about your basketball knowledge. If anything most of your posts cone across as if you have all the answers...aka play lojo more.

I'm not an expert. And even anyone who is, the game is always changing and evolving to the point where they could quickly be outdated.

I'm just a retired scrub high school player.

I really can't believe anyone would ever have an issue going to Cumberland there. He's our most talented player. Our most consistent Ft shooter. Our best 3pt shooter. Our best creator.

The only debate is when it's so clear cut who your best player is, do you use him as a decoy for something else. In cool going down with giving him a chance to make a play.

More importantly, this play is pretty irrelevant. ECU sucks. We sucked more that day. It should never ever come down to that.
Part of my problem is I never played any organized basketball so I really don’t know about any plays although I understand having the guy you want to get the ball to inbound might work in most cases though not here. The one thing I think we can agree on is that failing to get the ball up on the glsss or rim with six seconds left and a talent imbalance is not acceptable. Begging for a foul after that seems rather pathetic to me. Even though Brooks is extraordinarily weak with his height advantage he may have had a better chance of drawing a flagrant foul. One thing we learned is that Cland is probably not going to fill Jacob Evans’ role last year. Sorry if I sound contentious. I admit to trying to stir some contraversey here and there.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote