Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2019 Recruiting Profiles

Old 03-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #61
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Samari is Mr. Ohio Basketball. First one ever to be a Bearcat.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:58 AM   #62
A_O

A_O is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Samari is Mr. Ohio Basketball. First one ever to be a Bearcat.
That's awesome!
A_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #63
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_O View Post
That's awesome!
Why is Curtis seemingly ranked so low on scouting sites?
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #64
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I don't think those sites update very often. His ranking on Rivals has't changed since December.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #65
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I’m ready for Samari. I hope he can bring his scorers mentality from the beginning.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #66
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I’m ready for Samari. I hope he can bring his scorers mentality from the beginning.
My hope is that Cronin does not take the same approach with Curtis as he did with Johnson. Johnson seemed to me to be a far better athlete than Jenifer or Broome yet he sat the bench for much of the year. I still don't understand why he was not redshirted. Cronin has to let Curtis play no matter if he makes mistakes or not. That's the only way he'll learn to play at the collegiate level.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #67
Profchaos102

Profchaos102 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bearcat View Post
My hope is that Cronin does not take the same approach with Curtis as he did with Johnson. Johnson seemed to me to be a far better athlete than Jenifer or Broome yet he sat the bench for much of the year. I still don't understand why he was not redshirted. Cronin has to let Curtis play no matter if he makes mistakes or not. That's the only way he'll learn to play at the collegiate level.
Being a better athlete doesn’t make him a better basketball player just yet. Keith and Tre are both better athletes than Jarron, yet they are nowhere near the level of player than Cumberland. Johnson was clearly the best athlete on the team last year so we do have that going for us for the upcoming seasons. As for Samari, at the very minimum, he will play a lot just out of shear necessity. Plus, Cronin has even said that he expects Curtis to make a significant impact in his freshman year. He’s near the top of best natural scorers that Cronin has ever recruited, which includes Lance, Evans and Cumberland. All guys that received significant time their freshman years.
Profchaos102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #68
Profchaos102

Profchaos102 is on a distinguished road
I do want to add that it seems like Cronin has been recruiting faster, more dynamic players with Keith Williams, Logan johnson and Samari Curtis leading the way in 2020. It will definitely be interesting with what our team will look like after next season.
Profchaos102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #69
CareBat

CareBat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profchaos102 View Post
I do want to add that it seems like Cronin has been recruiting faster, more dynamic players with Keith Williams, Logan johnson and Samari Curtis leading the way in 2020. It will definitely be interesting with what our team will look like after next season.
Agreed. Interesting to see what "profile" our future bigs fit into: big and clumsy rim protectors or someone who can contribute on offense?
CareBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #70
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Why is Curtis seemingly ranked so low on scouting sites?
He had a bad AAU summer if I recall. Could have been undisclosed injury or competition. Regardless, the recruiting sites lock you in after the summer and only change it based on offers (e.g. Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK). It is a deeply flawed system. I think Curtis is without a doubt top 100 probably closer to 60-65.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote