Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #111
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
What is Brook's vertical? He didn't get either jump ball and he has been out jumped quite a bit this year. He gets blocked by the rim a lot too. No explosion. He's mobile though and protects the rim pretty well
Don't know. I thought on the Tulsa jump ball that the ref made a terrible throw...it was headed towards the Tulsa guy. Only watched it once, live, so could be wrong.

As for jumping by the basket, I think the kid is weak and can't get up when bodied. I keep hoping to see improvement from him in this regard, but he has not. He can't get above the rim. Now, his defense has been good...and I was happy to see him recognize the alley oop play and stop it during the game last night. But on the offensive end, against guys with strength, he is going to struggle.

So happy for Cane. What a performance. And to be honest, I think he could be giving us that most of the time if allowed to play freely. Last night Cronin had no choice but to keep Cane in....let's hope he learned something.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #112
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post

So happy for Cane. What a performance. And to be honest, I think he could be giving us that most of the time if allowed to play freely. Last night Cronin had no choice but to keep Cane in....let's hope he learned something.

he even had a jenifer-like game going before the final 8 minutes. he had only attempted 4 shots, only had 2 points, had 5 assists and just 1 turnover. the assist total could have been even better if anybody else could have made any of their wide open shots.

i dont think its a coincidence he played well when he knew he wasn't going to get pulled. the final 8 minutes he had to score or the game was over so he just went for it. i think it speaks to what a lot of us have been saying about allowing your players to play without fear, when they do, you can get the best out of them.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #113
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
With 3 of your starters sick...to find the energy to tough that one out is all the more impressive.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #114
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Still pumped. One you don't go bragging about but true fans know how big of a win that was. Win and go home happy.

Cane needed that. He needed a 3 just to go down for once let alone basically win us the game. That's huge.

Jenifer must have been real sick if he committed a turnover.

Logan is freakishly long and athletic.

Lets take care of business these next two games at home. 15-3 sounds great
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #115
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Cane scored our final 14 points of regulation. Wow. I really do hope this is a turning point for him in the season.

While I don't have anything negative to say about last night's performance, I do still have some concerns about Cumberland's foul trouble going forward. We were outscored 17-9 with him off the court in the first half and that was with Tulsa still playing relatively poorly. I know the technical was quite unfortunate but I think it's still reflective of the sometimes reckless mindset he carries at the start of games.

I'm just afraid of him getting stuck on the bench and us falling into holes we can't get out of against some of the better teams in the conference.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #116
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Cane scored our final 14 points of regulation. Wow. I really do hope this is a turning point for him in the season.

While I don't have anything negative to say about last night's performance, I do still have some concerns about Cumberland's foul trouble going forward. We were outscored 17-9 with him off the court in the first half and that was with Tulsa still playing relatively poorly. I know the technical was quite unfortunate but I think it's still reflective of the sometimes reckless mindset he carries at the start of games.

I'm just afraid of him getting stuck on the bench and us falling into holes we can't get out of against some of the better teams in the conference.

we can't beat a simple zone without cumberland. they just pack in a zone and we have nobody that can stretch it. broome and keith have no room to penetrate and we can't throw it into the post vs that type of defense.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #117
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I don't know how many shots Scott took just inside the 3 line...might have only been 1 and he made it. But...they were leaving him wide open and why not just inside the line? If they are going to leave him open at 3 he can take a 3 late in the clock almost every time. And if he can make a shot just inside the 3 line he can make the 3.

Also I have mentioned I would have like to have seen Williams used more early in the second half. He was hot in the first. Cumberland runs back and forth from side to side the whole game and he is going to tire out if we don't give him some breaks on offense...particularly when he is not doing well. We will need him with some legs late in the season. Broome is another guy who can take some of that load off of Cumberland...Jarron could use a few possessions where he just gets to stand there like the rest of the team when they watch him...LOL!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #118
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
I don't know how many shots Scott took just inside the 3 line...might have only been 1 and he made it. But...they were leaving him wide open and why not just inside the line? If they are going to leave him open at 3 he can take a 3 late in the clock almost every time. And if he can make a shot just inside the 3 line he can make the 3.

scott had the most quiet 12 points 9 boards game of anybody i can remember. i really didn't think he did a thing all game until i looked at the box score.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #119
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Scott was 2 for 3 from midrange and 3 for 4 at the rim. Second highest ORtg after Trevor.

Tulsa was 0 for 11 at the rim, which is part of the reason why they were able to go 14 of 23 from three.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #120
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
What is Brook's vertical? He didn't get either jump ball and he has been out jumped quite a bit this year. He gets blocked by the rim a lot too. No explosion. He's mobile though and protects the rim pretty well
His vertical ain't Logan Johnsons.... Lol.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote