Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #91
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Mitch McGary (Wolfeboro, N.H./ Brewster)
2012, C/PF, 6-10, 255 pounds
He is a brute on the basketball court with a non-stop motor that makes him tough to handle. He can put the ball on the floor enough to create a little, is a good rebounder and a solid athlete. McGary is a big-time recruit and will be an immediate impact player for some lucky program. He plays with a high motor and cares about winning . He is blessed with enormous physical size and strength and from a skill standpoint the big lefty has a soft shooting touch when close to basket and can face up to 15 feet on a consistent basis. On his attempts down low he will create the contact but the foul will be on the defense. Defensively, his footwork is surprisingly agile as he tries to get around the offensive post players. McGary is a good rebounder who can be a great one when he puts his body on people and overall he's making a case to move up in the rankings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=6675458
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #92
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Mitch McGary (2012 post)- Disappointed with his play in an early session loss, McGary came out strong out of the gate in an evening matchup with Robert Carter. He had a series of nifty, yet physical drives, where he finished tough shots and set the tone for his team. The big men in the camp have struggled to set themselves apart offensively, but McGary did just that on Friday night.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1232726
Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #93
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Mitch McGary plays the game with a controlled rage. He's the guy who scores a big dunk and chest bumps his coach on the way down the floor. When he's not in the game, he'll wave a towel to get his squad going. The 6-foot-10, 225-pound center from Chesterton, Ind., is in constant motion, always moving like he can't sit still. Actually, he can't sit still. McGary is a diagnosed attention deficit disorder (A.D.D.) patient. He doesn't run from the affliction, instead he owns it.

"Many times your greatest strength is your greatest weakness," said Wayne Brumm, McGary's AAU coach with the SYF Players. "That A.D.D., when he gets going on the court its almost like he's on a sugar high. He gets zoned out, yelling and screaming but it adds flair and a personality to him and without it he would be normal. It's been a great strength of his but when he does get too wired up it can become a weakness."

[+] EnlargeDavid Dixon/TNL1
Mitch McGary is the No. 1-ranked PF in the 2012 class.
McGary, the No. 4 overall player in the 2012 class who draws comparisons to Tyler Hansbrough, is riding a wave of spring and summer performances, which captivated observers in every setting. However, McGary came very close to working in an Indiana mill rather than working the post against some of the best in the class.

A few summers ago, McGary was nowhere to be found. Academics used to be a problem for him and an obstacle to reaching his potential on and off the court.

"Last June he told me he was going to quit and get a job," Brumm said. "I knew that wasn't what he meant. What he meant was that he was tired of being perceived to be dumb. That's when I knew he had to get out of [Chesterton]."

When the decision was made for him to enroll at Brewster, McGary found the academic structure he desperately needed.

"The small class size, the way they teach there; they divide the kids up and it's highly interactive," said Brumm. "The kids are totally engaged. It's been perfect for him. Mitch needed to learn how to study, develop good habits and critically think for himself. You look at him and you think he's a man, but when you spend time with him you realize he's a kid."

His game spiked last spring and Brumm recalled a point where he dominated on the court. As quickly as he found success, Brumm said McGary learned that success is fleeting.

"In June (2010), he agrees to go to Brewster," Brumm said. "He puts the ball down, he goes and bails hay for two weeks at a time and didn't touch a ball. He thought he could pick a ball up and begin where he finished. He was terrible last July. He got some attention because he had potential but he wasn't what he was in May. To this day, he's 50 percent the fundamental player he was a year ago."

As he embraced the structure of Brewster's academic programs, he also realized being the best player in Chesterton didn't mean much to anybody at Brewster.

"I was the best player on my home team. Moving out there with other high Division I players, playing with them turned me into a role player and that helped flick the switch. I had to play with more energy and be more productive if I wanted minutes. I started playing with that intensity and people started calling me "Psycho T." The switch at Brewster made me alert. I had to prove something and I had to play with energy."

It seems farfetched to think that a player with McGary's physical gifts and potential almost got lost in the shuffle. From the A.D.D. to the academics, McGary teetered on the edge of exiting basketball without a taste of the big time.

"Where Brewster really helped him was the academic and social culture there," Brumm said. "He knew that Brewster was his last chance."

McGary's mind is in a good place now, last week, at the NBPA Top 100 Camp, the word "beast" was thrown around by his peers as his peers marveled at his competitiveness and intensity. Andre Drummond (Middletown, Conn./St. Thomas More) slowed him down in a matchup. Others tried, few succeeded.

He's on a short list of guys who feel like they have to win every time out on the floor. You get the sense that McGary will stop at nothing to get what he wants on the court.

"I was always competitive when I was a little kid," McGary said. "Even in a game of Memory with cards I'd cheat with my dad to win. I kind of lost (that edge) in middle school and halfway through high school. To tell you the truth, in middle school, I didn't think I was going to play basketball. I was into sports and having fun with my friends. I was more of a baseball player but I had elbow problems. I turned to basketball and started growing more."

[+] EnlargeDavid Dixon/TNL1
Right now, the Maryland Terrapins seem to be coming at Mitch McGary the hardest.
"If I'm at the energy level I'm capable of there's people that can stop me but I don't think they're going to work as hard as I do to get shots up, to rebound and to score."

The current version of McGary is a sight to see. The extra year at prep school allowed him to develop physically, emotionally and academically. He's put himself in a position to go from an unfocused talent to an imposing All-American candidate. In doing so, he's stared the specter of A.D.D. down and no longer runs from his problems.

"Don't be afraid to talk about this," said Brumm to McGary. "You get it out in the open and recognize it."

Wanted man

On the recruiting front, McGary is close to being able to call his own shot. There might not be a program in America that wouldn't take a commitment from him right now. If one of the nation's best coaches is in the middle of dinner with his wife, the coach is answering his phone.

According to Brumm, the list is long and won't be trimmed until after July.

"Arizona, Texas, Florida, Louisville, Kentucky, Marquette, Maryland, Michigan, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Duke is pushing hard; North Carolina is there," Brumm said. "(UNC's) sending players after him like Marcus Paige (Marion, Iowa/ Linn-Mar) and J.P. Tokoto (Menomonee Falls, Wis./ Menomonee Falls) so they're there. We haven't begun to narrow it down but really he's got a chance to go anywhere he wants but we haven't really begun to narrow it down."

Recently, McGary visited the University of Maryland and new coach Mark Turgeon. The Terps are players and McGary cops to the fact that Maryland is recruiting him harder than anyone. The relationship began with an assistant under former coach Gary Williams who transitioned to Turgeon.

"Coach Bino Ranson, without a doubt (is on me the hardest)," McGary said. "I took an unofficial there last week. It's a whole new staff. I didn't know much about the school but I liked the campus."

Purdue offered him a full ride before anyone else did and his parents initially wanted him to be a Boilermaker. Both Purdue and Indiana have large classes in 2012 already and the contact between McGary and the in-state programs is sparse, considering the array of national programs clamoring for his services. It'll be interesting to see if the Boilermakers or Hoosiers are able to reinsert themselves into the process this summer.

When it comes time to decide, expect McGary to seek a deep relationship with his coach. Playing time won't be an issue; he'll snap up his minutes. Brumm thinks McGary needs to find a coach with a proven track record of developing bigs, especially ones with the unique blend of post and perimeter that McGary deploys as needed.

The once-unfocused player has the attention of every program in America.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=6692344
Old 06-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #94
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
do people who know think we actually have a shot at him still?
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #95
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

UC has a bullet in the gun. The kid literally can basically pick where he wants to play. My opinion is that UC is on the list but not as near the top as they once were.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #96
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
UC has a bullet in the gun. The kid literally can basically pick where he wants to play. My opinion is that UC is on the list but not as near the top as they once were.
Almost sound like the best thing Mick can bring to the table is the continued development of Gates. If he has a monster year Mick can actually answer the "can you develop the big men" question.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #97
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Couple things are in UC's favor. His parents want him to be close so they can watch him play. He has told them that if he is on tv they can see him wherever he plays. He is also on record saying he wants a great relationship with his coach. I would guess as long as UC has recruited him that they have that. Mitch says he really doesn't have a list yet, but would like to by summers end and then comment in the Fall.

North Carolina is now calling on him along with most every other blue blood. When you have the Selfs, Calhouns, Caliparis and Williams of the world calling on you I imagine it can be overwhelming.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #98
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

1. Mitch McGary
School: Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Prep
The Buzz: Based on what we saw from him during his 2010-11 campaign at Brewster, we knew that McGary would be on the rise. However, nobody could have predicted the 6-foot-10 Indiana native's ascension into the national top five or his development into a potential star.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1235153
Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #99
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Mitch McGary Discusses Recruitment
By Adam Zagoria on July 07, 2011, 12:06PM

AKRON, Ohio — Mitch McGary is one of the hottest names in the Class of 2012.

The 6-foot-11, 260-pound big man from Brewster (N.H.) Academy has a Who’s Who of Division 1 schools recruiting him.

In this video at the LeBron James Skills Academy, he says Maryland is recruiting him the hardest, but that he’s also intrigued by Kentucky, which he plans to visit, and Coach John Calipari, with whom he spoke last week.

“He just wanted to tell me he was going to be here and he was excited to watch me,” McGary said of Calipari.

McGary also took an unofficial to Michigan last Wednesday.

He and his father, Tim, plan to cut his list to nine or 10 soon.

“I’ll probably come out with a list in the next month,” he said.

http://www.zagsblog.com/
Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #100
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

TheRecruitScoop Alex Kline
RT @clintjackson1: Mitch McGary scored offers from Kentucky, North Carolina, Memphis & NC State in the last 48 hours.