Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #181
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
How many years have we had our bigs not be able to make 2ft shots? Outside of Clark, Washinton, and maybe Gates this has been a problem in Micks entire tenure here.
So in your mind Micks entire tenure has been a failure and you want him replaced. Have at it. Tell the admin To roll the dice. I'm sure Mick wouldn't be out of work long. What I'm not so sure of is we would find a better coach.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 11-08-2018 at 06:45 AM.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #182
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
While I believe this is going to be a frustrating and disappointing season there are a couple of things I am not going to over react about. Cane had an off night. He is going to make more of his shots in the future obviously and he is 1 of 2 players who can create a shot if necessary. I hope we can maybe add a 3rd in Johnson. From an ability standpoint he is clearly better than Jenifer...we will have to see how quickly he picks up the system and being where he is supposed to be.

I also am not going to write off Moore as a shooter. By almost every account he is the best outside shooter on the team so it just needs to start translating to games. Could be jitters. Could be that he is hurrying. I don't know but he can enter efforts by giving up open looks on defense. shoot the ball.

While I do believe our bigs can play a little better I am not expecting any drastic changes there. I don't know how we can play them for 67 minutes and expect to keep up on offense.
Agree Broome will have better nights but he can't negate those better nights by giving up open looks which negate his offense.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #183
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Oh and while your pondering how poor Cronin's offense is we were 5-21 on lay ups in the game ncluding a missed dunk. If you want to criticize him for recruiting be my guest but his bad offensive strategy would not be nearly as glaring if our players could make bunnies.
I think that's the underlying problem here. Mick recruiting the wrong style player.

His style of player was great for basketball in the 80s, 90s. The game has changed. His refusal to change is mind boggling and offensive to my eyes
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #184
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Ok I haven’t read it so I am going to give the counter points. The UC identity is defense period. Cronin learned it from Huggs and to his credit he genuinely believes in the primacy of defense. If nothing else he has proven his sincerity. As ugly and painful as the OSU game was, I can remember a time in the Conf. USA days when being
in the game with any Big 10 team for any minutes would have made our season. We were within 4 with less than a minute. How bad are we? Unfortunately for some we are not bad enough because Cronin’s philosophy as ugly and painstaking as it is will probably come through as it does year in and year out. We are not going to shoot THAT badly again this season, Johnson will get more minutes, Cronin will not make the mistake of sitting Cumberland with one foul again which basically amounted to a mea culpa for leaving him in against Nevada, we will win 20 games and make the tournament. We can complain about the offense after this tune up game which I am very happy we played now but that is part of the package. Let’s face it we love defense and what gets us most riled up is consecutive stops. Embrace it because it is all we have. Mick has shortcomings on offense but all in all he is a very good coach though not elite. He has run a decent program including sending two players to the NBA off the squad last year. If we can’t put it in perspective now we have no business celebrating when they beat a decent team this year which will happen. Oh and BTW most of the players are good kids and will graduate.

Last edited by Lawrugby; 11-08-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #185
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
I think that's the underlying problem here. Mick recruiting the wrong style player.

His style of player was great for basketball in the 80s, 90s. The game has changed. His refusal to change is mind boggling and offensive to my eyes
Legend I am sure Mick would love to have better players. He does well with the players who want to come here. Unfortunately the Zion Williamson's aren't lining up to come play here.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #186
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Not a good start. However, stepping back and looking at the pieces we have, I'll wait at least 10 games or so before "sanely" judging this team. I judged last night out of pure emotion and it wasn't good judgment. I'll wait and see what kind of adjustments we make when playing X or UNLV or UCLA or NKU...after that I'll decide whether or not I want to shed my mortal coil.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #187
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
Ok I haven’t read it so I am going to give the counter points. The UC identity is defense period. Cronin learned it from Huggs and to his credit he genuinely believes in the primacy of defense. If nothing else he has proven his sincerity. As ugly and painful as the OSU game was, I can remember a time in the Conf. USA days when being
in the game with any Big 10 team for any minutes would have made our season. We were within 4 with less than a minute. How bad are we? Unfortunately for some we are not bad enough because Cronin’s philosophy as ugly and painstaking as it is will probably cost me through as it does year in and year out. We are not getting my to shoot THAT badly again this season, Johnson will get more minutes, Cronin will not make the mistake of sitting Cumberland with one foul again which basically amounted to a mea culpa for leaving him in against Nevada, we will win 20 games and make the tournament. We can complain about the offense after this tune up game which I am very happy we played now but that is part of the package. Let’s face it we love defense and what gets us most riled up is consecutive stops. Embrace it because it is all we have. Mick has shortcomings on offense but all in all he is a very good coach though not elite. He has run a decent program including sending two players to the NBA off the squad last year. If we can’t put it in perspective now we have no business celebrating when they beat a decent team this year which will happen. Oh and BTW most of the players are good kids and will graduate.
i don't think we make the tourney this year.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #188
Grgbartell@yahoo.com

Grgbartell@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Justin Jennifer should never be allowed to shoot. He doesn't need to be guarded. Not sure how he gets more than 10 min a game. And where was the Diarra kid who I thought was going to have a major role? Was he hurt?
Grgbartell@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #189
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Legend I am sure Mick would love to have better players. He does well with the players who want to come here. Unfortunately the Zion Williamson's aren't lining up to come play here.
I'm not looking for zion Williamson....I'm looking for guys that understand basketball and can shoot it at high clip. I could look at every d2 program in the country and find 1 guy on that team that would be better. That's an issue.

Half of this current team is projects? I hate projects. They rarely work out. I want guys that can shoot and understand basketball. Defense no longer wins championships.

Its an offensive game. Change/adapt or gtfo out.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #190
Grgbartell@yahoo.com

Grgbartell@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
New arena and 3 open spots on the front line and we can't recruit anyone with any offensive ability. How is that possible?
Grgbartell@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote