Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #251
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
That's fine, but the answer is not to just say OK and leave your bigs out and shoot threes all game. Honestly with the way fouls are being called now, I'm slashing to the hoop more often than not. This is what irks me about Mick. He wants so bad to run an offense on paper that might be fine, but doesn't use the new rules to his advantage until we're losing in a game. Caupain and Evans should slash enough to keep the defense always assuming it's coming. And even Clark, JJ, KJ, Cumberland and Washington have the ability to do it. So if defenses sit in the paint, I'm attacking them. No defense is scared of a center taking threes or a power forward taking threes. Defenses want you to settle for threes. You have to at least keep the defense honest and keep your bigs down low.
Mick's offense travels back and forth around the 3-pt line until someone launches a 3 with the shot clock running out. The bigs are finally learning that if they want the ball, they have to establish their territory somewhere on that line.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #252
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Nothing wrong with taking lots of 3s if guys are stepping into them. Either need to beat guys off the dribble regularly to kick out, or establish someone who is a legitimate threat one-on-one with their back to the basket.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #253
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I want to wait and see how that style of offense looks when Evans is back, Caupain and Clark are in attack mode, and Cumberland starts to find his footing. And we know at worst Johnson can be a catch and shoot guy out there. I don't see Washington shooting a very good % on those though, so he needs to be the guy to post up. He needs to be a better screener though than post presence on this roster imo.
Our problem is this team doesn't know how to use screens. When your pg or ball handler period is standing still dribbling the ball it's useless to set a screen, but we do every time, then that player turns and looks for a pass around the free throw line where it's almost useless to get him the ball. Screens need to be set when the dribble is in motion to create space. Then if the bigger defender switches out, your big runs to the hoop and has a mismatch. If not, your ball handler has space and can create, causing defenses to break down and someone will be open or a lane will open. It's obviously easier said than done, but it's a pretty simple, fundamental basic in basketball and for the life of me we don't utilize it.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #254
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Mick's offense travels back and forth around the 3-pt line until someone launches a 3 with the shot clock running out. The bigs are finally learning that if they want the ball, they have to establish their territory somewhere on that line.
Sadly there is some truth to this. Reality is you can't run offense standing around, especially if you don't have a big inside that can dominate. It trips me out every time I see troy standing and the big flash out to set a screen and troy moves two feet to the side away from the screen. Then your big is out in no man's land. And with this team specifically, quadri and Washington seem more than willing to launch the deep shot which isn't good.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #255
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Nothing wrong with taking lots of 3s if guys are stepping into them. Either need to beat guys off the dribble regularly to kick out, or establish someone who is a legitimate threat one-on-one with their back to the basket.
I have no problem with threes in this situation, in fact that should be about the only time a three is taken. And I realize mick's offense is in design geared toward this. But we get too lost in the idea of taking threes and forget how to set them up too often.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #256
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, every coach in the league voted and Troy was chosen preseason AAC POY, and both Troy and Gary were the only two "Unanimous" 1st team all-league selections, but Jacob is our most talented player, yet he wasn't voted 1st or 2nd team all-AAC by anyone. The statements made on this forum on a daily basis are truly amazing!
Not hard to comprehend talent vs other metrics. You think Jacob isn't the most talented player on this team?
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #257
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I have no problem with threes in this situation, in fact that should be about the only time a three is taken. And I realize mick's offense is in design geared toward this. But we get too lost in the idea of taking threes and forget how to set them up too often.
I don't have a problem with 1 in 4 out with this lineup...but we need to switch it up and put 2 in as well. If we have 4 on the perimeter we need good spacing.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #258
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Lol....so you're saying that Troy and Gary will be fired up to play the team picked to finish dead last in the Ivy League and who finished 8-20 last year, over playing the #1 rated D-2 in the nation? Good to hear! Can't wait to see that effort.
Nobody really has any idea if they were not up for it or just played bad. We should probably just drop this.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #259
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Not hard to comprehend talent vs other metrics. You think Jacob isn't the most talented player on this team?
I think he is. He's got more tools than any other player.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #260
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think he is. He's got more tools than any other player.
I chose the word talent intentionally. Apparently I'm crazy to some...
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote