Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #11
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't think Trevon's defense was anything special. I thought he has struggled all season to keep guys in front of him. His rebounding was good, but IMO his defense was probably above average at best.
It's going to be more noticeable when someone gets beat when playing straight man to man. Most teams don't play man to man all game but for some reason we did
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #12
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I just looked up his synergy numbers. And I think you think this way because it’s really noticeable when he gets beat.

But in synergy his defensive rating is “Excellent” at .631 ppp which is better then 93% of D1 defenders.

My guess, that ranks as the highest or at minimum top 5
It’s really hard to stay in front of guys who are smaller and quicker than you. Almost impossible. Unless you are some kind of freak athlete. I don’t think some people on here realize that.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:12 PM   #13
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just looked up his synergy numbers. And I think you think this way because it’s really noticeable when he gets beat.

But in synergy his defensive rating is “Excellent” at .631 ppp which is better then 93% of D1 defenders.

Similar to how people said we gave up layups for free all season.

But we are 7th in the country in 2 point % defense. So we weren't giving up that many free layups.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #14
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:

That's why I said I think and not "based on synergy numbers he is a top 7% defender in the country"...I could just post synergy numbers for how a person played in a game, but I prefer to use my judgment based on three decades of playing and watching. Doesn't mean I'm always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
It's going to be more noticeable when someone gets beat when playing straight man to man. Most teams don't play man to man all game but for some reason we did
well obviously him having trouble staying in front of his man is going to be more noticeable when guarding a guy 1 on 1 then when he is on the low side of a 2-3 zone. But I'm sorry, a lot of teams play man to man all game, or almost all game. Plenty of m2m teams out there and when they get out of it for zone it can be for a couple possessions only.

Again, I'm fine with others disagreeing, I just don't think his defense was anything special. I'd be curious what others feel he has done incredibly well on D to earn DPOY....btw, thought his 2nd half of the season was incredible overall even so much to possibly earn POY. Just not as much on the defensive side.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #15
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Similar to how people said we gave up layups for free all season.

But we are 7th in the country in 2 point % defense. So we weren't giving up that many free layups.

I think the defense overall has been really odd.

In stretches it’s phenomenal. It’s other stretches it’s horrible.

The defense is usually great when are struggling offensively. But when we are clicking offensively, it “Feels” like the defense is terrible and can’t get a stop.

And I think that’s why we haven’t been able to comfortably win many games in the 2nd half of league play.

It’s hard to explain. But we rarely click on both sides of the ball. That is... unless we’re down 14 with 8 min to go, then we’re great. But then we get a lead and then we forget how to play defense again.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #16
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
That's why I said I think and not "based on synergy numbers he is a top 7% defender in the country"...I could just post synergy numbers for how a person played in a game, but I prefer to use my judgment based on three decades of playing and watching. Doesn't mean I'm always right.

well obviously him having trouble staying in front of his man is going to be more noticeable when guarding a guy 1 on 1 then when he is on the low side of a 2-3 zone. But I'm sorry, a lot of teams play man to man all game, or almost all game. Plenty of m2m teams out there and when they get out of it for zone it can be for a couple possessions only.

Again, I'm fine with others disagreeing, I just don't think his defense was anything special. I'd be curious what others feel he has done incredibly well on D to earn DPOY....btw, thought his 2nd half of the season was incredible overall even so much to possibly earn POY. Just not as much on the defensive side.

Don’t get bent out of shape. It wasn’t trying to prove you wrong.

Just wanted to provide some context to what you thought was happening
Old 03-11-2020, 12:40 AM   #17
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Problem is we don't draw as many charges as Jarron commits. Sometimes you just have to stand your ground knowing you're going to get splattered all over the floor (especially our smaller guards). They have a tendency to clear out of the paint to preclude getting posterized. It's like going to the hardwood for a 50/50. It may not feel good, but the only way you have a chance is being on the floor. Anybody have any stats on how many charges we've drawn this season? Would be an interesting comparison vs the other teams. Also, how many charges Jarron has been called for (committed)?
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #18
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Problem is we don't draw as many charges as Jarron commits. Sometimes you just have to stand your ground knowing you're going to get splattered all over the floor (especially our smaller guards). They have a tendency to clear out of the paint to preclude getting posterized. It's like going to the hardwood for a 50/50. It may not feel good, but the only way you have a chance is being on the floor. Anybody have any stats on how many charges we've drawn this season? Would be an interesting comparison vs the other teams. Also, how many charges Jarron has been called for (committed)?
Brannen has said he won't teach that type of defense. He doesn't want guys flopping around. He doesn't think that's defending.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Was just about to post this, so happy for Tre, he put in a hell of a season
He wasn't on the radar mid season but after that Memphis game on the road where he probably had his worst game he went...

15 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 2.3 assists pg, 1 block pg, 1.4 steals pg

That's about as good as it gets right there...what a turnaround! I am very happy for him...he may be the most likable player on the roster. Very good leader and role model as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #20
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Pretty good day for Tre.

DPOY
Most improved
Sportsmanship