Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2019 Recruiting Profiles

Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #11
MylesFoxMorrisey

MylesFoxMorrisey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCcincyfanMD View Post
Is anyone else tired of the consistent terrible recruiting that we have under Mick.....I’m done with the it’s hard to recruit to the AAC conversation, look at the number of 5 and 4 star kids that are “Warm” or “Warmer” on 247 for Memphis, UConn etc with Penny Hardaway and Hurley.....I’m done with Mick and it hurts to say because I think he’s done a good job, but it’s the same thing as Marvin Lewis with the Bengals, at some point you have to want more than just being a good team/program
I think this is a bit unfair. Penny and Hurley have a far smaller sample size than Mick. I think if you look overall, Mick has brought in a ton of top 100 recruits, especially early on in his tenure. Lance, Yancy, Shaq Thomas, Biggie McClain (Anyone remember John Reik or Jason Henry lol). Some have panned out, some haven't.

I think lately (last 4-5 years) Mick has taken on the philosophy on focusing on guys he knows he can get and develop into All Conf players ( Gary Clark, Jacob Evans) and will be here for 3-4 years rather than big 5 star recruits. He has often said he could've recruited Luke Kennard hard, but it would've probably meant he wouldn't have got Jacob Evans.

Last edited by MylesFoxMorrisey; 12-03-2018 at 09:08 PM.
MylesFoxMorrisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #12
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesFoxMorrisey View Post
I think this is a bit unfair. Penny and Hurley have a far smaller sample size than Mick. I think if you look overall, Mick has brought in a ton of top 100 recruits, especially early on in his tenure. Lance, Yancy, Shaq Thomas, Biggie McClain (Anyone remember John Reik or Jason Henry lol). Some have panned out, some haven't.

I think lately (last 4-5 years) Mick has taken on the philosophy on focusing on guys he knows he can get and develop into All Conf players ( Gary Clark, Jacob Evans) and will be here for 3-4 years rather than big 5 star recruits. He has often said he could've recruited Luke Kennard hard, but it would've probably meant he wouldn't have got Jacob Evans.
He knows where to spend his time. His last statement of he could have recruited Luke Kennard harder was due to him knowing Luke wasn't coming here so he wasn't going to waste his time. If there was a chance in landing him, I'm sure Cronin would have pushed harder. But yes, since he knew he wasn't going to get him he had to go get someone else and that was Jacob Evans.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #13
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Mick certainly needs to step up his recruiting game. He’s had some nice gets and it seems like he can maintain a certain level. Getting 1 big time player each class sets a nice base and can (and has) created a tournament team. However, they haven’t had success in March. That’s cause you occasionally need to more than 1 player that will develop into a great player per class.

It’s either up the recruiting game or up the coaching (especially on offense), or we will be a stationary program at best.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Mick certainly needs to step up his recruiting game. He’s had some nice gets and it seems like he can maintain a certain level. Getting 1 big time player each class sets a nice base and can (and has) created a tournament team. However, they haven’t had success in March. That’s cause you occasionally need to more than 1 player that will develop into a great player per class.

It’s either up the recruiting game or up the coaching (especially on offense), or we will be a stationary program at best.
I believe the biggest part of not getting more talented players is they don't want to play the defense first style. All theses guys want to go to the nba and that's not how mick wants to play. I agree mick has made his career off defense and he has some success, however it limits the type of player he gets.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Uconn just landed their 3rd top 100 player for their 2019 class...
What about the, “conference is the reason we can’t get good players”? That argument is taking a hit
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #16
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
I believe the biggest part of not getting more talented players is they don't want to play the defense first style. All theses guys want to go to the nba and that's not how mick wants to play. I agree mick has made his career off defense and he has some success, however it limits the type of player he gets.
I think it’s clear he isn’t changing his style anytime soon. It’s a style that will keep his team in every game against good teams but will also let teams hang around. And he can’t get the top notch talent, so he is kinda stuck. Just hope for a perfect storm like last year every 4-5 years
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #17
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
What about the, “conference is the reason we can’t get good players”? That argument is taking a hit
I know right. Just proves the right guy can still get high caliber players.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote