Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #91
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah, I think Wesson and OSU's interior game as a whole are a huge concern.

I have a hard time seeing a 4 guard lineup having success against OSU. It can work against smaller teams, but against a team with true quality bigs, 4 guards are probably going to get abused on rebounding - especially since none of our guards really stand out as great rebounders. It's going to be a real quick test.

Best case scenario is we win a close game. Worst case scenario is we get blown out. If I were betting, I'd bet on us losing by 15-20. If we faced OSU in March it would be different, but early in the year with our lack of chemistry and them most likely dominating us on the inside and I don't see a good result.

I think no matter what we do Kaleb Wesson is going to get his just like Jarron for us, I think we just have to contain there wings and smaller guards from penetrating the lane and kicking it out to the wings. One thing is for sure and that is we wont be in that rotating/ man/ zone we played with Cronin so if we play man and Sorolla and Vogt are on Wesson, Wesson wins 9/10 times. I think we will just have to live with the fact Sorolla and Vogt are in there to foul and get rebounds.

Where we can win the game is getting penetration in the lane with Keith and Jarron, Jarron is one of the best at drawing fouls in the lane. Also what we have this year is a guy who can flat out stroke the ball in Jaevon Cumberland, I think he will be vital in this game, I think Jarron will do what Jarron does and that's take the game over when needed. I think Harvey gets in the mix a little bit, I think Tre will have a tough time in the paint for this game, so if he can extend to the baseline and play inside out and make OSU and Wesson come out to defend and respect his jumper I think we could get some serious pressure down low with Diarra. But again we will see, first game of the year with over half the team brand new.... who knows haha
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #92
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
The only decent player we lost was brooks and he was gone before a coach was announced. Not sure how that’s the new coaches fault but whatever helps your argument.
This isn’t true

CJB was very much the coach when brooks left

Last edited by justinhub2003; 10-18-2019 at 09:22 AM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #93
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It would probably be a lot easier to stomach if you just give the coach your support and stop making proclamations about if/when you will be calling for his head. That's not how support works. You say to them I am behind you 100% and I won't make any rash judgments until we see how you operate and what were the circumstances that led to your results.

An AD is not going to say...well you didn't make the tourney so guess what? They will look at the season as a whole and give an evaluation based on all circumstances that led to the results. Perhaps even give some areas of improvement or kudos for areas we did well.

Many fans are not known for being the most logical. But luckily those that make big decisions go through a much more rigorous process of evaluation. Pressure will rise without results from the fan base and maybe even a board...but the board and AD don't add that pressure from the start because it is counter productive. They will offer support first and foremost...then continually evaluate circumstances, progress, and methods.

Just take a Xanax and offer full support for now. Let's see how he operates.
This
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #94
justinhub2003
Epic Member

The only thing I am concerned about is recruiting.

I had really high hopes for 2020 but it’s currently just decent.

Im not worried about what happens between the lines yet. But I do think it’s fair to not fully trust Brannen until he proves we should. I’m optimistic on the season, I think we can be a sweet 16 team. But it is tough just trusting a guy to lead a program I care so much about when he’s never competed on this level yet. There will be bumps in the road, he will be our chess matched in some games. I just hope he learns quickly and gets UC to the next level.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #95
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Gotta trust in him just like we trusted in Huggins and Mick. Brannen has proven he can turn a nothing program into a little something, Huggins did the same at akron. Murray State has sorta been the same program since the 80s.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #96
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
This isn’t true

CJB was very much the coach when brooks left
Right
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #97
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I think no matter what we do Kaleb Wesson is going to get his just like Jarron for us, I think we just have to contain there wings and smaller guards from penetrating the lane and kicking it out to the wings. One thing is for sure and that is we wont be in that rotating/ man/ zone we played with Cronin so if we play man and Sorolla and Vogt are on Wesson, Wesson wins 9/10 times. I think we will just have to live with the fact Sorolla and Vogt are in there to foul and get rebounds.

Where we can win the game is getting penetration in the lane with Keith and Jarron, Jarron is one of the best at drawing fouls in the lane. Also what we have this year is a guy who can flat out stroke the ball in Jaevon Cumberland, I think he will be vital in this game, I think Jarron will do what Jarron does and that's take the game over when needed. I think Harvey gets in the mix a little bit, I think Tre will have a tough time in the paint for this game, so if he can extend to the baseline and play inside out and make OSU and Wesson come out to defend and respect his jumper I think we could get some serious pressure down low with Diarra. But again we will see, first game of the year with over half the team brand new.... who knows haha
I think you almost have to front Wesson and try to deny the ball? If he gets position on the block you already lost the battle. I don't think we can stop him unless we limit his chances.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #98
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think you almost have to front Wesson and try to deny the ball? If he gets position on the block you already lost the battle. I don't think we can stop him unless we limit his chances.
A few of his buckets last year were from him being the trailer and just getting a easy open 3 point shot.

Need to stay with as soon as he crosses into half court
Old 10-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #99
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Brannen's recruiting thus far has been fairly unimpressive. Despite all the talk from fans, we've only added one 150+ player in 2019/2020 (Zach Harvey). Traynor/Eason would be big additions, but neither seems to be likely currently.

Still I've maintained from the start that better recruiting is not what will make Brannen great, it will be doing more with the guys he does recruit (or honestly, just doing as well as Cronin and having more success in the NCAA tournament).

I think this team is capable of beating OSU, but getting blown out by OSU would not surprise me. OSU has a quality center, which may give us major problems and I expect the team to take a while to gel. Much like last years team, I think we will be much better come March than we are in November. We may not get a high seed in the NCAA tournament, but we should be a team high-seeds don't want to play.
He’s been here for six months, jeez dude. I just don’t understand your guys hit takes, they make no damn sense
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #100
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
No, actually you haven’t been told Cronin should be nabbing top 100 guys all the time. More than he did? Yes. But not all the time. Good try though. Keep telling yourself Cronin was a good recruiter
Seems to be doing fine at UCLA
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote