Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #81
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
If you had told me that we would get a grand total of two points from Evans and Cumberland, and that our two bigs would have eight turnovers between them, I would’ve guessed we’d lost by double figures
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #82
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
When you shoot the ball as bad as we did today form 3 and make yourself one dimensional it makes defending us very easy. Couple that with the fact that Evans hardly played in the first half because of picking up two fouls very early in the game. We also got the bad version of our freshman today. Williams and Moore did not have their best games. Actually Broome played more minutes at the wing today then he had in awhile. We also shot 11-19 from the charity strip. We survived and advanced.
shooting the ball today doesn't have anything to do with wondering why evans and cumberland never flash to the high post. its as though cronin thinks only bigs are allowed to do it.

watch how other teams destroy that zone with basically clones of cumberland and evans that can catch it there and then make a good decision on whether to shoot, pass, or other.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #83
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
shooting the ball today doesn't have anything to do with wondering why evans and cumberland never flash to the high post. its as though cronin thinks only bigs are allowed to do it.

watch how other teams destroy that zone with basically clones of cumberland and evans that can catch it there and then make a good decision on whether to shoot, pass, or other.
So if Evans and Cumberland flash to the post what will the Zone defense do. You don't think the weak side defender would have rotated back into the middle? I actually think Clark and Washington are very capable of operating from the foul line in. Washington hit 2 and ones from there today after getting the ball

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 03-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #84
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
So if Evans and Cumberland flash to the post what will the Zone defense do. You don't think the weak side defender would have rotated back into the middle?
i think jake specifically is much better shooting from there than either wash or clark, i think it puts more pressure on the defense with a guy that can pass, shoot, or pump fake and drive if thats an option. cumberland is an excellent passer and it going to make the right play when he catches there.

kwash and clark don't provide ball handling or passing ability when they catch there. they combined for 8 turnovers.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #85
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
i think jake specifically is much better shooting from there than either wash or clark, i think it puts more pressure on the defense with a guy that can pass, shoot, or pump fake and drive if thats an option. cumberland is an excellent passer and it going to make the right play when he catches there.

kwash and clark don't provide ball handling or passing ability when they catch there. they combined for 8 turnovers.
But creating the room to get that pass to the middle is helped by the threat of Evans and Cumberland hitting that three from the wing. If they didn't have to guard one of them wouldn't they collapse on the middle?
Old 03-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #86
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
But creating the room to get that pass to the middle is helped by the threat of Evans and Cumberland hitting that three from the wing. If they didn't have to guard one of them wouldn't they collapse on the middle?
which is the entire point that was being made that we have the perfect lineup to run one of them there since all the players on the court can make 3's.

i mean you can pinch down or in and leave a 39.6%, 45.3%, 41.9%, 36.2% or 32.7% 3 point shooter wide open.

but with those 5 out there, it should be very difficult for the defense. they should have to choose to give something up, can't guard it all. when we pass it to clark or wash there, it doesn't result in a good pass from there. its either a TO or a tough shot.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #87
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
which is the entire point that was being made that we have the perfect lineup to run one of them there since all the players on the court can make 3's.

i mean you can pinch down or in and leave a 39.6%, 45.3%, 41.9%, 36.2% or 32.7% 3 point shooter wide open.

but with those 5 out there, it should be very difficult for the defense. they should have to choose to give something up, can't guard it all. when we pass it to clark or wash there, it doesn't result in a good pass from there. its either a TO or a tough shot.
Spreading the floor is certainly a big key. really don know if I want Gary or Kyle shooting a bunch of threes. In small sample size they look ok but I also like them hitting the glass.

The other thing that gives me pause is most teams don't play a straight zone anymore. It's more of a match up zone. With a bunch of switching and rotations. I really don't think teams are going to let Evans and Cumberland catch the ball at the foul line uncontested.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 03-09-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #88
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, the most important attribute for a high post player against a zone is quick decision making. Clark and Scott tend to be very methodical, which negates a lot of the advantage gained by getting the ball in the middle. To me that's more of an issue than the fact that they don't shoot the midrange jumper. Evans is deliberate too. Cane and Jarron are both quick and decisive. We have even seen Nsoseme make some good quick passes in that spot. I would like to at least see what happens with Cane or Jarron in that spot, but it's clearly not a part of any Cronin offense.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote