Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 05-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #31
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
M64W:

Not seeing it that way at all. Most schools are for the expansion. Once the report is issued by the consultant, it will show you are correct, money talks. Because the report will show everyone will make money. It will show that Texas needs to do something with it's network. It will show a new Big 12 network in the making will enhance revenue. It shows expansion will help all of the football programs financially.

BYU is most likely not in the race. Due to the fact they cannot do anything on Sunday makes for a huge disadvantage in basketball scheduling. BYU will not be one of the players. UConn football is nowhere close to being up to par, however that could change. It's between Cincinnati, Memphis and UConn. UConn too far east leaving UC and Memphis as the choices. Both provide relief for WVU and both have large TV markets. Memphis is throwing around alot of money.

The Big 12 has to take the two best schools available because if they wait too long, they may have little or no choice but to take schools that do not fit into the league.
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #32
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
HOPE YOU ARE CORRECT

I hope you are correct. That is exactly how I felt earlier in the process, but the more I read the more pessimistic I have become. Presently, I don't think the Big 12 will make a move, and just kick the can down the road. Money always talks, and like you said Memphis has some to throw around. You also have to consider the TV markets/Recruiting---Tampa, Orlando. Best bet is that nothing will happen. I feel sorry for the UC people who obviously have put in the time on this situation.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #33
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
I hope you are correct. That is exactly how I felt earlier in the process, but the more I read the more pessimistic I have become. Presently, I don't think the Big 12 will make a move, and just kick the can down the road. Money always talks, and like you said Memphis has some to throw around. You also have to consider the TV markets/Recruiting---Tampa, Orlando. Best bet is that nothing will happen. I feel sorry for the UC people who obviously have put in the time on this situation.
If expansion happens (and it's a big if), UC will be included. UC stacks up very favorably with other Big 12 schools, is favored by WVU and Oklahoma which will help in the process. Ultimately, it will come down to Texas relinquishing it's Longhorn Network for the greater good of the conference. ESPN is losing massive money so it isn't outrageous that they could put some major pressure on Texas to make this happen. If Texas approves expansion, it will happen. If not, odds are it won't. The Big 12 is in this mess by being reactive rather than proactive. We will see if they have learned their lesson.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #34
_lh

_lh is on a distinguished road
http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...expansion-talk
_lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #35
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
womp womp
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #36
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Turn out the lights,....the [expansion] party's over! At least UConn is in our conference in hoops. We're just CUSA reinvented.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #37
M64W

Big 12 Should take 4

I can't stop thinking about the Big 12. Does it do any good? NO! I suggest they take 4 schools to make 2 divisions with 7 schools in each. Take UC, Memphis, Central Florida, and BYU.
Reasons: 2 seven team divisions are better than 2 six team divisions
TV Markets and recruiting
Travel partners with WVU
Buffer in case of pilfering
What is the drawback to UC--what do you see as their weakness as to not being a viable candidate?
Old 05-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #38
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
If OU has been contacted by 25 schools that believe they belong in big time football or want to be in big time football why can't they get together and make their own football conference?
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #39
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
I can't stop thinking about the Big 12. Does it do any good? NO! I suggest they take 4 schools to make 2 divisions with 7 schools in each. Take UC, Memphis, Central Florida, and BYU.
Reasons: 2 seven team divisions are better than 2 six team divisions
TV Markets and recruiting
Travel partners with WVU
Buffer in case of pilfering
What is the drawback to UC--what do you see as their weakness as to not being a viable candidate?
I don't remember where I heard it, but I believe it was the WV AD who said the travel partner thing was irrelevant bc it is still far enough away from Cincinnati that they'd take charter flights.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #40
M64W

TRAVEL PARTNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I don't remember where I heard it, but I believe it was the WV AD who said the travel partner thing was irrelevant bc it is still far enough away from Cincinnati that they'd take charter flights.
What I believe being a travel partner would be like, in basketball, if TCU plays basketball at UC on a Thursday, they could then play at WVU on Saturday as an example. This type of set up would keep travel down. Earlier when I mentioned BYU, they could go with Houston---IF, IF, IF