Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #241
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Honestly....I'm not a huge Cronin fan AND I'm not a big fan of Jenifer (well I think he gives his all I just think he lacks talent and size).

But I have no idea how anyone can be anything but happy after that game. It was glorious.
Mostly everyone is happy. It's not our fault a few people (not you) come to the board specifically to pick through a nice thread to find something negative and then characterize the whole board and thread that way. It's a shame.

There are realists on this board who can agree with both pessimists and optimists at times. Then there are the eternal optimists and pessimists who will only agree with their kind. When a realist says something either optimistic or critical they become both enlightened and misguided at the same time.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #242
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Walking into working on Monday morning feeling like a million bucks still from UC beating Xavier. Amazing.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #243
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Walking into working on Monday morning feeling like a million bucks still from UC beating Xavier. Amazing.
Preach
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #244
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Someone mentioned the G-score (or game score) from the barttorvik site a while back. I don't know what the algorithm is but it seems to be a measure of performance relative to the quality of competition played. I really don't care if much of the reason is defense at this point.

There have been two massive eggs we laid against OSU and Milwaukee with a G-score of 48 and 41 out of 100. The 3rd worst game was NC Central at a rank of 88. All of those came in the first 3 games. Since then we have had no G-Score rank below the first 3 games and the last game against X was our 3rd best tied with Western Mich at a G-score of 97.

It took this team 3 games to get things on the right track and have exceeded probably most expectations since that point. I know they certainly have exceeded mine. The credit goes to the coach and certain players who have not always gotten the credit they deserve like Jenifer. I have been VERY pleasantly surprised by Scott and Williams as well. Some others who have performed about to expectation like Brooks and Nsoseme.

We can still get better if we get some other players to kick it in gear. Broome, Moore, Diara, Fredericks. This of course assumes the rest of the guys who are playing well keep it up.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #245
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Someone mentioned the G-score (or game score) from the barttorvik site a while back. I don't know what the algorithm is but it seems to be a measure of performance relative to the quality of competition played. I really don't care if much of the reason is defense at this point.

There have been two massive eggs we laid against OSU and Milwaukee with a G-score of 48 and 41 out of 100. The 3rd worst game was NC Central at a rank of 88. All of those came in the first 3 games. Since then we have had no G-Score rank below the first 3 games and the last game against X was our 3rd best tied with Western Mich at a G-score of 97.

It took this team 3 games to get things on the right track and have exceeded probably most expectations since that point. I know they certainly have exceeded mine. The credit goes to the coach and certain players who have not always gotten the credit they deserve like Jenifer. I have been VERY pleasantly surprised by Scott and Williams as well. Some others who have performed about to expectation like Brooks and Nsoseme.

We can still get better if we get some other players to kick it in gear. Broome, Moore, Diara, Fredericks. This of course assumes the rest of the guys who are playing well keep it up.
WH the exciting thing for me is there is still a lot of room to get better. I think Williams is only scratching the surface. Cumberland has some consistency issues to resolve. Scott has room to improve. As do our Bigs. Moore and Fredericks have talent and will have their moments. JJ and Cane are veterans who understand their roles. Each have had their moments so far this year. The best part for me is watching the team improve. Coach used the early part of the schedule to establish and implement his concepts and now the players are settling in and making it work. Really fun to watch.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #246
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
He’s slumping this year in this new arena. But was 39% last year on 80 attempts

80 is still a small sample. coming in i thought he'd shoot between 30-35% this year, he's gonna have to kick it into gear just to reach the bottom of that range.

i thought jarron and jenifer would shoot somewhere in that range too. i can't believe how well cumberland is shooting it. he's been an ok not great 3 point shooter his first 2 years and i expected it to be tougher on him this year cause he shouldn't have any open looks but he's just draining them, and some of them pretty deep.

jenifer is at the same % as last year after 24 attempts, i still think he's going to be inconsistent cause its tough with that much arc on your shot, but if he can finish around 40% it would be wonderful.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #247
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mostly everyone is happy. It's not our fault a few people (not you) come to the board specifically to pick through a nice thread to find something negative and then characterize the whole board and thread that way. It's a shame.

There are realists on this board who can agree with both pessimists and optimists at times. Then there are the eternal optimists and pessimists who will only agree with their kind. When a realist says something either optimistic or critical they become both enlightened and misguided at the same time.

yeah its kinda sad when a guy that pretty much stopped posting here just stops by to start fights. and he's a mod.

i always thought it was weird when people try to tell others how they should be fans. i think nothing but blind negativity is crazy, i think nothing but blind optimism is crazy, but im not going to tell anybody they shouldn't think that way.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #248
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
yeah its kinda sad when a guy that pretty much stopped posting here just stops by to start fights. and he's a mod.

i always thought it was weird when people try to tell others how they should be fans. i think nothing but blind negativity is crazy, i think nothing but blind optimism is crazy, but im not going to tell anybody they shouldn't think that way.
I have surfed around on other boards. This site is pretty much a microcosm of the fanbase as a whole. I have found no site where it's all rainbows and lollipops. There is a pretty good mix here of all outlooks on the program, coach and players.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #249
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I have surfed around on other boards. This site is pretty much a microcosm of the fanbase as a whole. I have found no site where it's all rainbows and lollipops. There is a pretty good mix here of all outlooks on the program, coach and players.
In fact, I think there was another site that I believe used to be the preeminent (free) fan board for UC sports and that one seems to be a ghost town for basketball anymore. I think largely because it wanted to establish a referendum on negativity and in many cases just plain old criticism. That's not a reasonable thing to do to a fanbase.

Fans want to speak their minds. As long as they do it in a respectable way it's healthy. This site cleaned up a lot of that egregious riff raff a while back and it became a healthier place to vent. Keep in mind it's usually never the eternal optimist that gets the boot...it's almost always the eternal pessimist who can't vent in a more constructive way.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #250
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have to agree with you. I have surfed around and this site is not really much different then others. I think it goes in cycles. Was a bit disappointed with the lack of football chatter. This was a very nice season for Coach Fickell and team. In General most UC fans are Basketball first and Football second.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote